DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Silicon Imaging SI-2K (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/silicon-imaging-si-2k/)
-   -   3D Quick and rough test. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/silicon-imaging-si-2k/426896-3d-quick-rough-test.html)

Bob Hart September 22nd, 2009 12:03 PM

3D Quick and rough test.

Here is a link to a very quick test.

QUICK AND ROUGH SI2K 3D TEST By Bob Hart On ExposureRoom

The format is side-by-side so you will have to use the cross-eyed viewing method. I have not yet worked out how to export the anaglyph images yet.

Alex Raskin September 22nd, 2009 06:50 PM

Bob... I tried your cross-eye method, and afterwards my eyes stayed that way.

What should I do now? It does not seem safe to drive like that, and is very hard to focus my videos ever since.

I kid, i kid :)) Congrats on pioneering the SI-2K 3D in Australia!

Andronico Gonzalez September 22nd, 2009 10:15 PM

Hi Bob,

How did you sync the 2 sensors?

To export you can use this After Effects methods:
stereo3d.com webboard: Special Stereoscopic 3D Techniques with Adobe After Effects

Bob Hart September 22nd, 2009 10:48 PM

Alex.

You are a cameraman. Cameramen are the world's greatest problem solvers and innovators. - Close one eye. Problem solvered. If a mugger accosts you in the street, just turn and stare at him with a steely resolve and just watch his own courage melt away.

Andronico.

Thanks for your advice on After-Effects.

For syncing two cameras which are recording separately to recorder units via umbilical cables, SI or P+S will sell you are small box which has a fastener to attach onto one of the handle mounts on the sides of the recorder unit body or handheld rig.

This fastener is a bit confusing. It is not the winghead fastener used on other parts like the remote switch and handheld arms. It goes through the center of the box and looks like a control knob.

The box has four sockets.

Two sockets accept each, a cable which plugs into the "power/control" socket of each Mini head.

One socket accepts a coiled cable from a remote button switch.

One socket is a 4-pin XLR which provides power.

One camera is set to "slave", the other to "master". The other camera settings must be made the same.

We used the remote button to control the cameras. We have not yet tried operating the master camera with the touch screen.

With this rig, you do not see the displays from both camera/recorders on the one screen. It is two camera/recorders operating as a pair.

Interestingly, the left camera and right camera clip file sizes will not be the same. But their running time is and in the tests so far, we has simply pulled each clip pair onto tracks on a timeline.

This is the basic option offered. The "onebox" solution would be much more user-friendly.

Two separate cameras on cables to recorder units is not easily movable and can only be a studio or tripod arrangement. For the time being it is proposed to fix the recorder unit bodies into a sound cart or lawyers trolley for 3D work.

Alex Raskin September 23rd, 2009 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Hart (Post 1386572)
Alex. You are a cameraman. ... If a mugger accosts you in the street, just turn and stare at him with a steely resolve and just watch his own courage melt away.

This is an autoresponse. Alex is away looking for a mugger to melt down.

Andronico Gonzalez September 24th, 2009 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Hart (Post 1386572)
For syncing two cameras which are recording separately to recorder units via umbilical cables, SI or P+S will sell you are small box which has a fastener to attach onto one of the handle mounts on the sides of the recorder unit body or handheld rig.

Thanks for the explanation Bob, it was really helpfull.

I received an email from Ari Presler with a brochure with all the SI 3D products. I'm thinking in using the sync-cable and adjust by frame using the slates.
The sync-box its easier to use, but I have money problems.

Bob Hart September 24th, 2009 09:45 PM

Andronico.

Money problem? Same here. It is a rope tied around the feet.

The CP Ultra T* lenses we have here are a mixed lot. One complete set came from Ken Hale at Whitehouse AV and are fine. The other set was assembled from eBay auctions and has mixed mounts and ARRI adaptors. Collimation is not accurate for the second set of lenses.

It is okay using two monitors. Each monitor must be used to focus because the lens witness marks are not matched. Our mount adaptors are not correct for the second set of lenses and the backfocus is wrong. I will have to get to work and shim the second set to match the first set. I would like to be able to focus the second camera by the focus numbers for faster work.

Bob Hart September 25th, 2009 03:29 AM

3d test

Here is a link to the rough studio test. It only works in crosseyed mode as the colour across the channels is not matched.

Sorry cannot post frame grabs. Uncle Bill's internet Explorer 8 has gone haywire again. Might it rot in perdition if I did not need it and cannot revert to IE7.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmberlunRG8