SI2K mini, jam LTC from smart slate to silicon dvr at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema > Silicon Imaging SI-2K
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Silicon Imaging SI-2K
2/3" 1080p IT-integrated 10-bit digital cinema w/direct-to-disk recording.

Old February 27th, 2010, 03:54 PM   #1
Tourist

SI2K mini, jam LTC from smart slate to silicon dvr

Hi all,

Working on a feature shooting with an si2k mini and we need to get silicon dvr to jam to a smart slate (Ambient ACD 201 or Deneke TS-2 or TS-3). My questions are:

1. Is this even possible?
2. Assuming it is, I suspect we need some sort of usb interface to get the tc output from the smart slate into the laptop. What kind of usb interface would this be and what connectors would we need to get from the smart slate to the laptop and the hard disk audio recorder (a deva)
Lee Towndrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2010, 06:21 PM   #2
Trustee

Lee, Ari recommended this device for feeding a TC into SiliconDVR:

AEC Product 2

If I understand correctly, the way it works is, the Adrielec box forces PC's clock to sync to the TC. Then your SiliconDVR timecode is also sync'd. (Please do correct me if I'm wrong - Ari? - I'm not an expert on this.)

I went through this route just days ago, but decided against the slate. Instead, I do the simple visual clues via a laptop (use the one you already have!) working as a slate:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/silicon-...-question.html

On one hand, I did not want to have yet another hardware piece on the set (Adrielec in this case.)

On the other, that box costs $325 - $400 depending on the model.

You may be able to justify that cost+tsures on feature film production, but with my music video application I could not.
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2010, 12:29 AM   #3
Tourist

Thanks Alex, very helpful!

Looks like the adrielec box is the way to go for us. I like your system though, seems like it should work great for shorter formats. We just have too much sync sound footage to afford having our sound and picture tc differ in any way.
Old February 28th, 2010, 12:30 AM   #4
Tourist

On a related note: is it the kind of thing one can jam every hour or two? Or do we have to leave the usb-ltc box connected in between slate and laptop at all times during the shoot?

Last edited by Lee Towndrow; February 28th, 2010 at 12:36 AM. Reason: duplicate
Old February 28th, 2010, 04:16 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi

The TC syncing is a bit difficult on with these tools.
In DVR 1.1 the syncing works and it keeps sync up until the cam-head is powered, but once you go to playback the TC will be messed up. So I would recommend keeping the USB-TC box connected and the TC line connected all time, then every time U hit record it will sync.
If keeping the TC cable is problem use mic-radio line.

We have done 3 full feature length documentaries with SI2K's and syncing has been bit of problem....

There is another option Ambient Products Timecode Lanc Logger
This thing will take sync and keep it, so you only have to keep the USB cable connected to the laptop - I have not used that product but in theory it should work nice!

Hope this helps a bit
-Kaspar

Last edited by Kaspar Kallas; February 28th, 2010 at 04:13 AM. Reason: typos
Kaspar Kallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2010, 06:59 PM   #6
Silicon Imaging

ALL-601 on SI-2K

Yes. This is supported and a very good options!
Ari Presler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2010, 07:25 PM   #7
Trustee

I'd be curious to learn the pricing and recommended workflow for ALL-601 with SI-2K.
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema > Silicon Imaging SI-2K