Si2k and greenscreen - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema > Silicon Imaging SI-2K

Silicon Imaging SI-2K
2/3" 1080p IT-integrated 10-bit digital cinema w/direct-to-disk recording.

Old December 16th, 2010, 08:47 AM   #31
Inner Circle

Peter.

I think I have misinfromed you.

The Pentium 1.6 was a HDV machine for a while but not for too long. I was mixing HDV and DVCAM, converting down to DVD-Video for output back in the days of Cineform Aspect. I did some behind-the-scenes for a local no-budget from a Z1 on it. It was fearsomely difficult to use, counting frames and using the cursor to jump forward and back patiently and waiting for that slight extra pause which warned that Premiere waa about to crash, control S, then close out then reboot premiere for another session.

I have been revisiting that method wth my current computer. It used to be good with 2K footage without any effects on it but something has gone wrong with the motherboard and the system itself operates slowly on its side with the rock in the rag on the motherboard, replaced with a pencil wedged in the case but not at all upright.

I did not try SI2K on the Pentium 1.6. I do have some remaining vestiges of a reality sense. It still exists, reliable to the time I swapped the video drives out and sometimes still used for sound work.

Last edited by Bob Hart; December 16th, 2010 at 08:49 AM. Reason: error
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2010, 03:25 PM   #32
Trustee

Personally, I never use pencils in my mobos - just sharpies.

Too much lead in pencils, if you ask me - short-o-rama!
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2010, 05:13 AM   #33
Inner Circle

Alex.

Do you grant an exemption for using the pencil's blunt end on the motherboard and the sharpened end against the casework?
Old December 17th, 2010, 01:23 PM   #34
Trustee

Nein.

Nein, nein, nein, nein!!!!
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2011, 11:03 AM   #35
Inner Circle

Re: Si2k and greenscreen

Update on greenscreen. Bob is now a bit happier. Gavan O'Sullivan updated his own kit to Windows 7 CS5 and discovered Adobe has a new keying option called Ultra.

It is very clever because it can distinguish that the two tones of green caused by the small rear side window having an approx 3/4 f-stop neutral tint are intended to be the one greenscreen.

Here is a link to a short test of badly graded footage.

YouTube - ‪BOM EXPORT TEST.wmv‬‏

So now I can go out and shoot my background plates with a little more confidence. Just have to remake the mount. My original automotive window expanding mount no longer fits because of the round shape of windows these days.
Old June 12th, 2011, 11:37 AM   #36
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hart View Post
Gavan O'Sullivan updated his own kit to Windows 7 CS5 and discovered Adobe has a new keying option called Ultra.
Hardly new! It used to be called Serious Magic Ultra. Adobe bought them out a few years ago and rolled it into CS 2 or 3.
Old June 13th, 2011, 10:43 AM   #37
Inner Circle

Not new? Hopefully Adobe has done a few tweaks in the meantime.

You're talking to a person who still lights a fire to heat hot water, drives a 21yr old VN Commodore, uses a Nokia 5110, still has a 16mm film camera in the back room and would use it too if film was affordable.

It is a wonderful thing that these software tools are now available. Who in 1985 would have dreamed of doing this stuff within hours of making the images, on a computer on a coffeetable in the corner of the loungeroom?
Old July 9th, 2012, 01:45 AM   #38
Inner Circle

After a long hiatus due to lack of good equipment and editing skills on my part and no contenders for the edit putting their hand up, Gavan O'Sullivan has been editing on a new machine and doing a preliminary grade from RAW and not the default look and it appears good.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema > Silicon Imaging SI-2K