DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Silicon Imaging SI-2K (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/silicon-imaging-si-2k/)
-   -   Studio Daily's got a nice video of SI-1920 at NAB (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/silicon-imaging-si-2k/66937-studio-dailys-got-nice-video-si-1920-nab.html)

Jason Rodriguez May 8th, 2006 06:14 PM

Studio Daily's got a nice video of SI-1920 at NAB

http://www.studiodaily.com/main/news...ines/6536.html

Great blurp on the camera and David Newman explaining the goodies that Cineform RAW can deliver.

Glenn Gipson May 9th, 2006 05:47 AM

A very very sweet design, from the camera to the post-process. Nice job!

Brian Drysdale May 9th, 2006 07:49 AM

Thanks, that was very informative.

Is that a "vent" beside the battery for cooling?

If it is, I'd be a bit concerned, you can easily get caught out by heavy rain showers when working on location.

Jason Rodriguez May 9th, 2006 07:57 AM

Yes, it's a vent, and I know about the rain :)

That's just the prototype . . . the final version will of course still have a vent, but it will have filter cover to prevent dirt, crud, dust, etc. from getting inside and also give some form of water proofing . . . BTW, the camera is not meant to be water proof . . . some items like the LCD touchscreen screen, etc. aren't water resistant.

But if you get caught in a shower with the final version, you should be fairly safe so long as you don't get a bunch of water in the LCD screen, since again, that's a third-party part that we're integrating, and it's not water-proofed. Of course since it's third-party, you can always (for a premium) get yourself a water-proofed touchscreen.

BTW, if you're worried about fan noise, don't be. We're spec'ing around 24-25db max, and that's before the filter cover . . . after the baffling from the filter cover, that should go down quite a bit to make the camera basically silent.

Thanks,

Jason.

Brian Drysdale May 9th, 2006 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Rodriguez

But if you get caught in a shower with the final version, you should be fairly safe so long as you don't get a bunch of water in the LCD screen, since again, that's a third-party part that we're integrating, and it's not water-proofed. Of course since it's third-party, you can always (for a premium) get yourself a water-proofed touchscreen.

BTW, if you're worried about fan noise, don't be. We're spec'ing around 24-25db max, and that's before the filter cover . . . after the baffling from the filter cover, that should go down quite a bit to make the camera basically silent.

I think you should offer a water proof/resistant LCD as a option above your base price. I just know it'll get wet at some stage and I'm sure people would like to have the choice. I've had viewfinders going down regardless of rain covers.

As long as the levels are at modern film camera levels the noise should fine for most situations. However, low frequency noise is easier to handle.

Wayne Morellini May 9th, 2006 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Rodriguez

Thanks,

Jason.

I have a power supply that is supposed to be 25db, noisy little thing, this is supposed to be just above the ambient noise level of a house, including the fridge. Whispering is supposed to be around 17db, which my CPU fan does, that is a good aim. Noisy office environments make the sound seem ten times less then a silent shooting environment. Newer, low power consumption CPU and passive PC cooling systems, with a large slow fan, would probably reduce it enough

Thanks

Wayne.

Wayne Morellini May 9th, 2006 02:57 PM

You guys should email me about my camera solution for 100% water proof cooling system.
(you can take it diving under my case solution).

Jason Rodriguez May 9th, 2006 07:57 PM

Okay, since it seems as though "db" is perceptual on what is silent and what isnt', basically this camera will be as loud as a Mac Mini on the low fan setting.

I can't even hear this thing (fan for latest camera) in a quiet room when I step away a couple feet.

I don't think fan-noise will be an issue. At least I don't want it to me for myself, so I wouldn't want it to be for anyone else.

Thanks,

Jason