Minimum PC requirements - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema > Silicon Imaging SI-2K
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Silicon Imaging SI-2K
2/3" 1080p IT-integrated 10-bit digital cinema w/direct-to-disk recording.

Old June 3rd, 2006, 10:10 AM   #31
Trustee

A gigabit ethernet cardbus adapter? Make sure it can do Jumbo Packets (9K packets).
Jason Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2006, 05:07 PM   #32
Regular Crew

Thanks guys, looks like I've found my man.

http://sewelldirect.com/ExpressCard-...t-Ethernet.asp

Apparently, the expresscard slot in the Dell will be even better suited for the job than cardbus(?)

Would a laptop with built in gigE handle the task better again?
Steve Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2006, 10:09 PM   #33
Trustee

Yes, that should work, although not as well as a true Intel Pro/1000 adapter.

There are two different drivers, one for the Intel, and one for "others" . . . the one for the Intel PHY's actually takes over the controller and makes it only available for the camera, but becuase of this, it's the most stable . . . the other one is a filter driver that sits on top of the network IP stack and looks for packets . . . it can be a bit tempermental sometimes.

So, for BEST stability (not saying that the others won't work, but for BEST stability), in other words, for a what we can point to right now as a "certified system", the requirements are:

Core Duo (at least 2.0Ghz)
GMA950 or better graphics (DirectX 9.0 compatible)
Intel Pro/1000 ethernet
2GB of RAM
5400RPM with 8MB cache hard-drive

Hope this helps . . .

Thanks.
Old June 3rd, 2006, 10:52 PM   #34
Silicon Imaging

Expresscard Ethernet

Steve,

Sorry I missed the Expresscard option. It was not clear from the Dell website that it was included.

Expresscard (PCIe) is much better than cardbus(PCI) as it typically has more bandwidth capacity (over 100MB/s). Some Cardbus systems can only go up to 50 or 60MB/sec over PCI.

As Jason stated the system looks like it is powerful enough. The non Pro/1000 NIC requires more CPU overhead and so does embedded GMA vs separate GPU (ATI/NVidia) - ljust like a gaming machine. 24/25P should be fine. But 30P and 720/72P may be maxing out the system. You wont know for sure until you try it.

Ari
Ari Presler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2006, 01:29 AM   #35
Regular Crew

Excellent, thanks again.

So time to keep an eye out for an intel adaptor and start saving the cash.

Good luck gents, I wish you every success.
Steve Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2006, 02:57 AM   #36
Major Player

Following the conclusions from the discussion launched there:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...t=65290&page=4

And as someone said, there are two different discussions here. Or I prefer to say three:

1) Silicon Imaging capture
2) Cineform online editing and color correcting/grading
3) Silicon Imaging capture + Cineform online editing and color correcting/grading bundle

In this case and because the last two are from there, we will return to the first point:

And now, I'm requesting a laptop solution as lightweight as possible. Something like a tablet PC. It would be wonderful to have an online editing option with color correcting/grading . . . also because you Silicon Imaging guys could sell a good marketing idea two-solution-in-one. But if it's not possible, will it be at least this one as your certified capture system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Presler
This Toshiba Tablet PC may be an excellent model to accompany a SILICON Mini.

It has several important features:

Core Duo up to 2.16GHz
Dual Channel DDR2 667MHz
Intel 10/100/1000 GigE
Wireless Networking
PCMCIA (put in a 32GB Flash Drive)
Tablet Touchscreen
4.5 lbs

http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/cont...400-ST9113.pdf

http://www.tabletpcreviewspot.com/de...econfigured%29
Or even better tablet PC offer?
Mathieu Kassovitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2006, 10:50 AM   #37
Regular Crew

GigE laptop querry

Ari -- "Expresscard"…"Cardbus" -- can you explain how to use an Intel Pro 1000 adapter with a laptop? Is this even possible for a laptop without a GigE socket in the first place? If the built-in GigE socket is not Intel Pro 1000, can this be changed in some way? I tried to find something on Google about this but didn’t understanding what I was reading. I suppose for a desktop this would be a PCI card, but what about laptops?
Thanks,
John.
John Wyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2006, 11:27 AM   #38
Silicon Imaging

Expresscard GigE

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wyatt
Ari -- "Expresscard"…"Cardbus" -- can you explain how to use an Intel Pro 1000 adapter with a laptop? Is this even possible for a laptop without a GigE socket in the first place? If the built-in GigE socket is not Intel Pro 1000, can this be changed in some way? I tried to find something on Google about this but didn’t understanding what I was reading. I suppose for a desktop this would be a PCI card, but what about laptops?
Thanks,
John.
Expresscard and Cardbus are similar to internal PCIe and PCI connections for notebooks (which do not have room for full size cards).

It is possible to use non-Intel NIC but there is a cpu hit (ie. you need a faster machine than with an Intel NIC). The primary requirement is the need for Jumbo packets.

Check out the new Linksys EC1000(Marvel NIC):
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...VisitorWrapper

Last edited by Ari Presler; June 14th, 2006 at 05:00 PM.
Old July 2nd, 2006, 04:58 PM   #39
Major Player

I noticed from various pictures and videos showing the camera that SI's system looks like it has a dedicated graphics card of some sort, is that going to be a requirement? or is that i/o plate just connected to on-board vga/dvi/svideo headers? is GMA 950 graphics enough? of not, what is suggested? Is there a low power card that is suggested?
Noah Yuan-Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2006, 06:33 PM   #40
Silicon Imaging

GPU Requirements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Yuan-Vogel
I noticed from various pictures and videos showing the camera that SI's system looks like it has a dedicated graphics card of some sort, is that going to be a requirement? or is that i/o plate just connected to on-board vga/dvi/svideo headers? is GMA 950 graphics enough? of not, what is suggested? Is there a low power card that is suggested?
Hi Noah,

Nice to hear from you again. Initially our application was nuilt using OpenGL which was optimized for Nvidia type GPU acceleration. We are now in the process of porting to Direct-X to enable some of our unique graphic modes on the GMA950. As you pointed out, this will enable us to eliminate the GPU card and reduce overall power consumption. The only drawback is the GMA architecture utilizes a shared memory architecture which can reduce access speeds for recording. It is therefore critical that our system use a Dual DDR2 memory system. We are adding more and more features, as requested on the board. This means we will prefer the fastest cpu possible. On the notebook side, this means 2.33Ghz Core Duo (hitting the market now)and preferably a Merom processor delivering in September. If you are using a desktop configuration which will function as recording and editing platform you have many choice. Check out David's blog for some interesting discussion on the lates Intel and AMD multiprocessor benchmarks ( http://cineform.blogspot.com/ ). An outcome of Intel's merging of mobile and Desktop architectures will lead to a new generation of desktop replacement notebooks with extreme power based on the the new Conroe processors. I will be sure to post some updates as they product hit the market!

Do you have a project you are planning to shoot with Silicon?

Ari
Old June 15th, 2007, 08:34 AM   #41
Major Player

Is the SONY Vaio VGN-AR270P suitable?

Intel Core2 Duo Processor T7200 @ 2Ghz 667Mhz bus

Merci
Old June 15th, 2007, 09:00 AM   #42
Trustee

Nope. Too slow.

Make sure you get a T7600 or faster with dual-channel DDR2 667, and in the case of a laptop, preferably Nvidia graphics.

Thanks,

Jason
Old June 15th, 2007, 09:52 AM   #43
Major Player

What is faster than that? Any example?

Merci,

MK
Old June 15th, 2007, 10:11 AM   #44
Silicon Imaging

2.4GHz Core 2 Duo

Intel has released the T7700 Core 2 Duo which is 2.4GHz.
Old June 15th, 2007, 01:48 PM   #45
Major Player

What about that?

ASUS S96s
Santa Rosa equipped

Processor & Cache Memory
Intel® Merom Core 2 Duo Processor T7700 2.4GHz 4MB 800FSB

Chipset
Intel 945PM & ICH8-M

Main Memory
4GB 667MHz DDR2 SODIMM
DDR2-533/667 MHz up to 4B
2 x SODIMM Dual Channel Slots

Cache Module
512MB Robeson Cache Module

Display
15.4" WXGA (1280 x 800) TFT Display (Glare)

Video Graphics & Memory
Nvidia GeForce Go 8400 (256MB Dedicated Graphics)

Hard Drive
160GB 5400RPM SATA HDD
(perhaps will 7200RPM be better?. . .or will 5400RPM be enough?. . .but anyways, is the rest ok?)

Merci
Mathieu Kassovitz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema > Silicon Imaging SI-2K