Have you been amazed by the SI-1920HDVR at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema > Silicon Imaging SI-2K
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Silicon Imaging SI-2K
2/3" 1080p IT-integrated 10-bit digital cinema w/direct-to-disk recording.

Old May 26th, 2006, 08:51 AM   #1
Tourist

Have you been amazed by the SI-1920HDVR

The future of HD film-making is on the way. Silicon Imaging and Cineform, together with our company, Atomic-VFX, are busy at the moment shooting a feature film, entitled “Spoon”, on a HD camera that is implementing a system never before used. The SI-1920HDVR combines a digital cinema class 1920x1080P camera with CineForm's revolutionary Visually Perfect®CineForm RAW™codec in an embedded PC architecture under Microsoft Windows® XP. The camera is connected directly to the computer, so expensive tape stock is no longer an issue. It is also possible to attach a 160GB notebook hard drive to the camera for up to 4 hours of free-roaming shooting. The camera uses modern cinema PL mount lenses, as well as affordable F and compact C mount lenses that is connected to a single large format 2/3” CMOS sensor with an on-chip 12-bit A/D converter. This is then fed through wire into a 'wafian' box and into the PC. Originally developed for the independent film maker the camera provides superb image quality at a low cost. With release during the third quarter of the year the camera is costing in the area of only $20 000. Still in the Beta phase of development, but already exceeding everyones expectations, the SI-1920HDVR is the camera for the future of HD filming. For an up to date account of the filming, visit www.indiefilmlive.blogspot.com or for more technical information visit www.siliconimaging.com/phpBB/index.php or simply comment on this post.
Francois Huysamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2006, 08:29 PM   #2
Rextilleon

emmmmmmmmmm Spam----I don't think you are suppose to be selling product in here and I know that most people already are hip to what is going on with Silicon Imaging.
Red #97
David Mintzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2006, 06:19 PM   #3
Trustee

For that cost, I'd buy a RED camera and have a 35mm chip and a--well, everything.
Old May 29th, 2006, 06:41 AM   #4
Tourist

Not Spam

David, this is not Spam. I am just trying to make the people who are NOT hip to what Silicon Imaging is doing aware of the camera. Anyway, I have been on set and have seen the camera's in action and I love them. It's just such an esy to use and cheap way of making a film. The direct to disk just makes things go smooth as you drop the files directly into Premiere, no need to render. And you can look at it immediatly after you have recorded it in Media Player. It just makes the workflow go easy, etc, etc, etc...
Old May 29th, 2006, 08:15 AM   #5
Trustee

No, David is right. Your first post here is an ad, not a discussion. That would be 'spam'. If it did it at Anandtech, it is an instant ban.
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2006, 08:25 AM   #6
Tourist

Fine if you think so. As long as you at least try and be interested, because the camera is worth looking at
Old May 29th, 2006, 08:45 AM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

Moved here from General HD / HDV Acquisition. Francois is one of the very few people in the world who is actually involved on a shoot using this camera, so his enthusiasm is certainly forgiveable -- the main thing is that the discussion belongs here and not where it was first posted.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2006, 12:45 PM   #8
Trustee

Thanks Chris for clearing that up.
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2006, 06:37 PM   #9
Silicon Imaging

Amazing Footage from Atomic-VFX!!!

I appreciate the enthusiasm from Atomic-VFX and the Spoon team. Its nice to have someone tooting the horn for us. I think everyone here would agree that Silicon is not getting the attention it deserves for a product that has shipped and is in use. Chris was very kind to give us our own forum at DVInfo, after meeting with us at NAB and seeing that our product is real and operational. Thank you Chris.

I am open to suggestions from the community on how to better communicate our presence and value to the industry.

In the meantime, take a look at the footage Francois has posted on his web site for all to see (unadelterated SPAM or High Quality HD footage...you decide)!

Comments and suggestions please...
Ari Presler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2006, 06:42 AM   #10
Major Player

Well, I am indeed impressed by the footage, the low light scenes are some of the best most "film-like" I've seen so far.

Anhar
Old June 2nd, 2006, 08:18 PM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Presler
I am open to suggestions from the community on how to better communicate our presence and value to the industry.

Comments and suggestions please...
I think those who understand and have the budgets to get use this camera will be voting with their wallets. At this level it's not just the camera and the post costs that have to be factored in.
Certainly the RED team have managed to generate a lot more 'noise', just how that noise translates into sales and productions will be another matter entirely. Let's not forget that all that fancy marketing and the big stands at NAB get paid for by the customers. So far we've made a number of purchases from companies that have kept a very low profile like SI, we'd rather see them spending our dollars on engineering than showmanship.
The posted footage from Spoon is indeed very impressive, to date we've gone from considering XDCAM to Infiniticam to the SI camera, given our budget and that the SI camera has a workable post path at an affordable price it's looking very attractive.

I would not dispair over the lack of hubris. Lots of marketing hype can sell anything, for a while. Good products grow sales organically regardless of the marketing. Keep your overheads low and hang in there.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema > Silicon Imaging SI-2K