DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Silicon Imaging SI-2K (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/silicon-imaging-si-2k/)
-   -   Viper Vs Silicon (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/silicon-imaging-si-2k/68527-viper-vs-silicon.html)

Yasser Kassana May 31st, 2006 03:48 AM

Viper Vs Silicon

In all fairness I don't think this camera is getting as much interest as it should. Now i think a comparison with something within its league would be great. Stop me if this is already a plan in action, but if you rent out a viper v the silicon, which is a fair comparison, do a pro and cons, i think we're onto something here. Me personally I've never been more excited about a camera, i remember watching Sin City and thought man I would love a camera like that, and 1 yr later here it is and within my budget. You have people like David Fincher shooting with the viper for a feature, now we have this. If this cam can blow or equate to the Viper, we're onto something very big here and the interest gathered here would be substanstial.

Think of it this way, when the xlh1 was tested with the other HDV cameras it came out on top(others may disagree, but don't fool yourself, it did)it generated a huge amount of interest, it wasn't just another HDV camera.

Also, I'm not someone to mince my words, so I'll say this, the RED seems like an amazing camera, 2k, 4k, blah blah. But seriously guys, with the extra cost that goes with the future proofing(editing, storage etc) right now the most viable solution is this camera. Anyway, that's my 2 pence.

Meryem Ersoz May 31st, 2006 07:23 AM

as a canon loyalist--i own five canon cameras--if the H1 had come out on top, i believe i would own one right now....both JVC and Panasonic have made this a much harder decision that i would have anticipated. and both have features i want that the H1 does not...

good suggestion, though, to put these two through some comparison tests. along with the Sony XD HDcam and RED, when it becomes available. after seeing the sample footages, the SIcam is also looking like an intriguing choice. this whole new paradigm-shifting class of cameras is really revolutionizing the field, as the Big Four seems intent on dribbling the revolution amongst us in a less-than-satisfying, more piecemeal fashion. as always.....

Yasser Kassana May 31st, 2006 07:31 AM

Meryem, 666 posts! You're satan aren't you.

Bob Grant May 31st, 2006 07:31 AM

I think there's plenty of interest but in general the better something is the less need there is for posts about it. After all why make a noise about something that gives you a competitive edge.

Meryem Ersoz May 31st, 2006 08:10 AM

mwhahahahaha.......

Don Donatello May 31st, 2006 10:16 AM

the camera is drawing attention .. The Viper was announced ? 2 years ago ? and it has taken awhile to work its way into productions .. IMO the SI camera is not aimed at Viper market or the BIG budget hollywood market = those markets are very SLOW to change ...

IMO after it becomes available in Q3 a year from then you will see it doing very well in indie, music video, Doc, commercial, corporate markets - AND big hollywood $$ will stay with panavision, arri digital camera's ....

IMO RED will work its way into special effects houses very fast because of the ability to do 4k+ resolution

Yasser Kassana May 31st, 2006 10:44 AM

Yeah, but wouldn't it wet your jigsaw if they did do a comparison with the EVE and Viper?

Yasser Kassana June 9th, 2006 07:25 AM

I still think, with the advent of everyone using the genesis and viper, this camera might not be competing with the big budget types, but it sure is on par with the viper and genesis, one way would be to do a test!!!! And if the Silicon team are listening, I'm willing to spend some of my own time and some money(some) to carry out these tests.