Delivery dates - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema > Silicon Imaging SI-2K
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Silicon Imaging SI-2K
2/3" 1080p IT-integrated 10-bit digital cinema w/direct-to-disk recording.

Old September 29th, 2006, 03:21 AM   #31
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Weaver
When I was describing was multiple ways to decode the same codec datastream. One is a quick/easy way for most QT apps, and one for really extracting the raw data
Correct . . . so what program actually has access to the RAW data, or has the "intelligence" to extract that RAW data to the fullest?

If it's not either your DI package (After Effects or Combustion for desktop indies, Speedgrade, Scratch, Lustre, or Nucoda for the big boys) or your editing/compositing software, then you're going to have to somehow figure out a method to match-back the footage from this separate conversion application back into one of these DI/editing/compositing programs.

I consider that sort of workflow the bane of offline/online, especially if the conversion application is not "intelligent" with the editing apps, meaning it can't automatically conform your timeline for you, so that the RAW conversion process is just a click-and-go situation. Basically you end up having to eyeball shots or do visually matched edits which is NOT fun-been there, done that.
Jason Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2006, 08:38 AM   #32
New Boot

What's in a name?

To David, Jason, Steve, and everyone involved in the Cineform/Silicon Imaging partnership responsible for bringing this amazing camera to us, I must confess that in spite of the excellent timeframe from announcement to release date, I will still be waiting too long for its availability.

Now, I don't mind hearing about something before it's available, thus preventing me from a premature purchase. But, while I think it is very exciting to be involved in the development/birth/conception of a colorful camera, and understand the fascination of following a product through its entire life (seeing its growth and changes, the first opening of its sensor, its first steps, no matter how small), I am nonetheless perhaps even more excited by seeing a finished camera with a complete workflow that will not be a seemingly endless, continuous stream of publicity before I can ever use the thing.

That your "publicity stunt" was an actual use of the camera in a high-pressure filming situation like the 48Hour Film Project is nothing short of prodigious professionalism. I hope that this camera gets the attention and success it deserves; that it is not overshadowed by the hype and promise of the competition.

This is a very exciting camera for filmmaking. Kinetta teased us, RED is seducing us, but SI is here ravishing us. Ain't it a nice analogy?

From a sincere desire to see the success of this camera, so that I might benefit from a resulting reduced price ;-)

I offer a name: The CinecamHD (formally: The Silicon Imaging SI-1920 CinecamHD)

I think it's fine to have a model# as the name, but without (and also even with) mainstream company name recognition like Sony, Panasonic, Nikon, or Canon, you need something with more branding like Infinity, or Viper, or CineAlta, or Handycam, or DVcam, or Blackberry, or Walkman, or iPod... how about PodCamHD - wait, Apple will issue a C&D letter :-\

Anyway, HDVR is a little square. Now, I'm also kinda square, so I don't mind using obscure acronyms when talking about something. But, I have noticed that my "normal" friends don't accept this kind of talk. Well, actually they accept it quite easily. By this I mean too easily; so easily that they don't even bother to tell me directly that they don't know what I'm talking about, but instead just pretend to understand while continuing to hear my voice without really listening at all. I guess you could just say they tune me out.

Here's an example:

ME: Honey, I'm thinking about getting the new SI-1920HDVR.
HER: What's a %^$*&#DeVeR?
ME: It's a 1080P, direct to disc, RAW codec, portable, digital cinema camera :-D
HER: Oh, that's nice :-|

On the other hand:

ME: Honey, I'm thinking about getting the new CinecamHD.
HER: Oh, are you going to make a movie?
ME: Well, yes :-)

So, all the acronyms and model#s are still in place, but I'm not forced to use them in normal conversation. I remember reading a thread about the name not too long ago, so I apologize for not jumping in earlier, but I think this thing needs a TM name along the lines of "shot on VariCam" or "shot on CineAlta." "Shot on Silicon" is cool, but too esoteric/cryptic. If not CinecamHD, then something similarly concise and using real words descriptive of cinema/video/camera. Okay, "HD" works because it is a widely accepted acronym for, well, you know... just like iPod works because "i" is a widely accepted acronym for, well, i....

Thanks, keep up the good work. I will continue to be interested in the SI-1920HDVR, but I think a CinecamHD would reach a more mainstream audience. Either way I look forward to the public release.
Warren Jobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2006, 08:58 AM   #33
Trustee

Hmm . . . that's a cool name . . . now you just have to convince Ari ;)

BTW, also consider that Spoon has shot an entire feature film with over 140 hours of shot footage as well.
Old September 29th, 2006, 08:59 AM   #34
Silicon Imaging, Inc.

Warren,
Thanks for the praise and the chuckle.
I will remember in the future not to read your posts while drinking tea over my keyboard.
Maybe we should call our camera the Epiphany?
iSteve
Steve Nordhauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2006, 05:24 PM   #35
Inner Circle

About other costs, what the going rate for S16 primes and zooms? Used if possible? Or do we take a page from RED and consider using Nikon still lenses to keep costs down?
Old September 29th, 2006, 07:12 PM   #36
Trustee

If cost is an issue, you can still use c-mount lenses . . . you aren't required to use PL-mount.

Fujinon makes a great series of fast, sharp c-mount prime lenses that only cost $300 each.

Thanks,

Jason
Old October 1st, 2006, 11:51 AM   #37
Silicon Imaging, Inc.

Jason,
To be accurate, those lenses that are rated at 5Mpix are $400-$500 - still a great buy. We have found them to be about the equivalent to the $1000 Schneider and Tamron lenses. Keep in mind that they are machine vision though. The distance markings on the barrel may not be precise, there may be some breathing and the don't work with focus followers.

They are available in 12.5mm-75mm. Since they are made for 2/3" sensors there is no magification factor - you get wide angle with the wide angle lenses.
Steve
Old October 1st, 2006, 02:46 PM   #38
Regular Crew

What about body design?

Have you decided on a design yet? I read on a thread before that you were trying to decide on a body design. Somebody mentioned the Aaton Minima... Will it be a small, medium or big camera? Any colors? Thanks for your time.
Carlos Osterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2006, 03:19 PM   #39
Silicon Imaging, Inc.

Carlos,
The mechanical design is complete, the details are being polished and parts are being machined. The case for now will be an anodized black. Aside from getting hot in the sun, it seems to be the best choice. It will be similar in size to what was shown at NAB (see our forum for pictures) but more stylized an a bit less boxy. It is still about function, not form however.

We will post photos as soon as we have one together.
-Steve
Old October 16th, 2006, 10:16 AM   #40
Major Player

do I hear a drumroll...?
John Benton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema > Silicon Imaging SI-2K