DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Silicon Imaging SI-2K (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/silicon-imaging-si-2k/)
-   -   Sound recording options with the head (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/silicon-imaging-si-2k/78319-sound-recording-options-head.html)

Melvin Torrens October 27th, 2006 08:36 AM

Sound recording options with the head

I'm thinking of buying only the head of the SI and would like to know what would be the best option to record sound, is there anyway to get sync sound using some external audio recorder (Tascam HD-P2) connected to the PC ?
Also I'm in between buying a Vaio VGN-AR21S or a MacBook Pro to use with the head, I'm having a hard time choosing. If I go with Sony I get better specs but I'll have to move from FCP to Premiere. Is the MBP fast enough to use with the camera ?

Jason Rodriguez October 27th, 2006 09:10 AM

The new Core 2 Duo Macbooks look like they'll be pefect.

Get the fastest you can get (2.33Ghz), but don't get the 3GB of RAM option, just the 2GB, because we require dual-channel memory, and IIRC, you can't do dual-channel DDR2 over two differing sized sticks of memory. I could be wrong though, but that's my suspicion. 2GB of RAM is plenty to run the program anyways, and is our suggested size.

Sound sync is supported with USB audio devices, or anything that has WDM-compatible drivers and can be seen and used as a standard windows WAV device.

Ari Presler October 27th, 2006 09:43 AM

SONY Notebook

The SONY VGN-AR270 may be a better option with Intel GigE NIC!

Joe Carney October 27th, 2006 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Rodriguez
The new Core 2 Duo Macbooks look like they'll be pefect.

Get the fastest you can get (2.33Ghz), but don't get the 3GB of RAM option, just the 2GB, because we require dual-channel memory, and IIRC, you can't do dual-channel DDR2 over two differing sized sticks of memory. I could be wrong though, but that's my suspicion. 2GB of RAM is plenty to run the program anyways, and is our suggested size.

Sound sync is supported with USB audio devices, or anything that has WDM-compatible drivers and can be seen and used as a standard windows WAV device.

So your software doesn't support ASIO or DirectSound? I have a Firewire 410 that I think has WDM drivers, but never used them.

Jason Rodriguez October 27th, 2006 11:48 AM

Quote:

The SONY VGN-AR270 may be a better option with Intel GigE NIC!
Actually I just looked over the spec sheet for the Sony, and it only has 100BASE-T (not gigabit ethernet) . . . I'd highly recommend people to stay away from the Sony, the new Core 2 Duo Macbooks are a much better buy with their Marvell gig-e based NIC's and ATI X1600 graphics. If you go with the Sony, you will need another expresscard gig-e adapter, and that's not really the most reliable pathway.

Quote:

So your software doesn't support ASIO or DirectSound?
Not right now, although that will change with future releases . . . the nice thing about our architecture is that it's an evolving platform, just like any other piece of software you buy. 2.x is always much better because it incorporates all the suggestions from the user-base. We've been packing so many features into the 1.0 release, and we figured that for the inital release, the WDM drivers will get people good quality audio that will work well in their productions. Remember, the AVI file format can't take 24/96 in multiple channels (not the VFW-compatible files), so adding the ASIO functionality right now is overkill until some upgrades are made at the codec level-WDM can do the 16/48 stuff just fine. So it's not that ASIO or DirectSound isn't coming, but just that it's not in for the 1.0 release, nor was it necessary for the functionality we have in the 1.0 release. But like I said, there are so many ground-breaking features in this 1.0 release that I think you'll be very pleased with what you'll be getting. And we're not like the camera firmware you're used to in the past with it's limited upgradeability-we're computer software with LOTS of flexibility to expand into the future as you expand (I don't care what they tell you, I've NEVER seen firmware upgrades that were as comprehensive as software upgrades).

Melvin Torrens October 27th, 2006 03:21 PM

Thanks... This helped alot, the mac is the best option and I can also run XP wih bootcamp if needed.

Ari Presler October 27th, 2006 06:49 PM

Memory Speed

Jason,

Thanks for the reality check on the SONY model. I also noticed it only has 533MHz memory. We want 667MHz.

Joe Carney October 27th, 2006 10:29 PM

The new Sony AR series laptops with Core 2 Duro and 667mhz front bus are what one would want for the SI if you are considering Sony. They also include HDMI out at up to 1080p resolution. Have Gigethernet and expresscard 54 slot. Expensive but nice.

Mathieu Kassovitz October 28th, 2006 02:51 AM

Any tablet PC suggestion?

Melvin Torrens October 28th, 2006 09:52 AM

For a tablet pc I think the Toshiba has those notebook/tablet hybrids, like the M400 wich you can customize up to 2.33 GHz, 2Gb RAM, 100Gb HDD...

Ari Presler October 28th, 2006 10:32 AM

Toshiba M400

Melvin,

Although we have not tested this model specifically, this Toshiba looks like an excellent choice.

It HAS the PRO/1000 GigE built in and 2GB of 667MHz DDR2.

http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/...=PPM40U-1V700D

Although, the on-board GMA950 would not perfrom 3D-Lut color correction as well as a dedicated GPU.

On the SONY notebook side. The BX670 does have the PRO/1000 but only ships with 533MHz memory?

Melvin Torrens October 28th, 2006 11:38 AM

I'm going to go with the Mac Book Pro. For me it will be the best option since I will work with FCP and Shake and I already have an iBook and a G5.

Jason Rodriguez October 28th, 2006 12:59 PM

Hi Ari,

That toshiba doesn't appear to support Merom . . . T7400 or above . . .

Again, it looks to me like the new Macbook Pro's are the best buy if you're looking for a laptop. They come with Marvell gig-e, DDR2 667 (get the 2GB option, not 3GB for dual channel memory), and the ATI X1600 GPU for pretty decent graphics performance, especially if you want to run dual monitors (the GMA950 will choke on that).

So, just my hardware recommendations.

Joe Carney October 30th, 2006 10:28 AM

Arri, my bad. I went back over to the Sony site and you're right. Holy cow, they offer a t7600 with 533. And very expensive.

I met a guy the other day who was buying dual dual Xeon macs because they were less expensive than equivalent Dells and had more features. He said the drivers were out that made Runnin XP easy. Who'd of thought!!!!????

Joe Carney October 30th, 2006 10:41 AM

The toshiba is useing older core duos. I thought they were not vista compatible (at least for 64bit computing).