Lens included in package? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema > Silicon Imaging SI-2K

Silicon Imaging SI-2K
2/3" 1080p IT-integrated 10-bit digital cinema w/direct-to-disk recording.

Old November 8th, 2006, 11:04 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Lens included in package?

Do you have plans to include any PL mount lens with your package? I have been trying to find some lenses online but no luck... does anybody know where could I find some new PL mount lens? Thanks in advance guys.
Carlos Osterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2006, 01:31 AM   #2
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Osterling
does anybody know where could I find some new PL mount lens?
If you are looking to find inexpensive deals on lenses, you probably would be better off looking for C-Mount lenses. But if you are really wanting PL-Mount lenses, Zeiss or Cooke are the best out there. I'm guessing that one of the best matches for the SI-2K with a PL-Mount will be the Zeiss DigiPrimes which are designed from the ground up for HD on 2/3" cameras. They ain't cheap though.
San Francisco, CA
www.EMBStudios.com
Old November 9th, 2006, 02:11 AM   #3
Major Player

Aren't the 'digiprimes' designed to work with the prism separation systems for the 3 chips?
And they are not cheap.
Good quality lenses for 16mm should be good.
Valeriu Campan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2006, 02:12 AM   #4
Major Player

The Zeiss DigiPrimes are designed for 3 CCD prism cameras with a B4 mount so they wont really work without an (expensive) adapter. Zeiss make some great primes with PL mount for film cameras – the good news is that they are cheaper than the Digiprimes, the bad news is that a set will still cost more than the SI camera. Illumina make a set (6) of super 16 PL prime lenses for about $16,500 and Canon make a couple of good super 16 zoom lenses.
C-mount lenses are cheaper – the Fijinons will cost about $2,000 for four. They are industrial lenses so aren’t the friendliest to work with but the image quality should be alright.
Good glass costs

Rohan
Rohan Dadswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2006, 10:06 AM   #5
New Boot

Indeed, I stand corrected on the digiprimes: B4 mount (though I have seen a set converted to PL), and designed for 2/3" w/beam-splitting prism.
San Francisco, CA
www.EMBStudios.com
Old November 9th, 2006, 11:14 AM   #6
Contributor

Speaking of lenses for the camera, does anyone have a suggestion for a zoom lens that would approximate the range of a typical ENG lens (ie. 19x6.7)?

Thanks.
Stuart Brontman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2006, 11:27 AM   #7
Inner Circle

BandPro has stated the Zeiss DigiPrimes and DigiZooms will not work with the SI2k. They are designed to work with 3chip cameras with Prisms.

An excellent quality set of prime lenses for a lot less money than Zeiss are
the Optar Illumina. They are s16mm and will work with the SI2K with PL mount adaptor.

I've read good things about them at various forums.
Here is the web site for the only 'authorized' distributor in the world. they are manufactured in Russia. I believe the site is run/owned by the actual developer of the lenses who lives in FL.

http://www.optarillumina.info/optar.html He offers them in Arri or PL mount. If you are going to buy a complete set and soon, ask him about his ebay price.

If you see something on KievCamera, they haven't updated their site. They do not sell them.

Some 16mm lenses for Bolex are designed to work with a prism for some of their newer cameras, I don't think those would work with the SI2K either, but not sure.
Old November 9th, 2006, 09:37 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I can tell there's still some degree of misinformation. It would be nice to hear from the SI people about this. Thanks.
Carlos Osterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2006, 05:30 AM   #9
Major Player

Keep an eye for good glass and hang to it if you can find it

Carlos,
I don't think that there is any missinformation, but more missunderstanding.

As stated in many posts on this site and elswhere, the B4 mount lenses or any other lens designed for 3 CCD/prisms combo are not suited for single chip cameras. They could possible be used with expensive adaptors and many strings attached, but the simple truth is to try to look at lenses designed to project an image on a similar sized window/gate with a diameter around or just above 11mm that the 2/3 chip has. Lenses for 35mm motion picture cameras or 35mm stills cameras could be used, BUT their are designed to deliver a larger image with a different 'circle of confusion' for different magnification factors. The 'inexpensive' stills camera lenses are not the focus puller's best friend: they tend to breath more, their focus scale is between 90 - 120 degrees, while cine lenses rarely have the scale under 300 degrees. Also, most of the stills lenses have between 5-7 aperture blades, which do not necessarily make a nice 'bokeh' and turn strong highlights in strange geometrical shapes (must admit that the worse offender is one of the Zeiss cine (series I or II) lenses that have only three blades - sharp & YUKKK!).

A lot of the future users of RED ONE or SI camera will have to swallow the bitter pill of reality. To buy a lens kit for a camera with this resolution is in the same price range as the camera body itself if not more and I am talking about a sharp enough lens kit - not a very good lens kit, although the 16mm lenses are much more affordable and easier to find.

As cinematographer I choose a lens or a lens kit because:
- it delivers a specific look, with a certain sharpness/softness/contrast combination suited for a certain project
- I need an extra stop, two more hours a day to shoot a scene and the lighting and crew budget outstrips by a huge margin the cost of hiring THAT lens
- a.s.o...

Professional photographers use top of the range glass and change the DSLR bodies almost every 2 years when technology moves on and/or the clients and their specific market require the extra quality.

So, keep an eye for good glass and hang to it if you can find it.
Old November 10th, 2006, 09:56 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Valeriu, excellent point which is why I mentioned the Optars. You get a set of 6 very fast new primes for under 13K. The guy who owns the distribution rights is willing to deal too. Good used Zeiss MKII would be great if you can find them for a good price.

I read on another forum that buying can actually be cheaper than renting.
If you take care of the set, they hold their value when you decide to sell. Just a higher cost of entry.

Something to think about.
Old November 10th, 2006, 01:26 PM   #11
New Boot

u can get the optar lenses at below 8k with some dealers like kievcamera.com ...cheers
Ernest Kwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2006, 04:21 PM   #12
Major Player

Welcome to the forum Ernest and thank you for a good pointer.
Old November 10th, 2006, 08:45 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Ernest, Kiev no longer sells them and is not an authorized distributer. I called their office in Atlanta and got that info straight from the salesman.
Old November 11th, 2006, 03:29 PM   #14
New Boot

Thanks for the warm welcome,Valeriu and the update on lens, joe... juz happen to browse thru k*evcamera..was looking at those t/s medium format lenses..i think there's a couple of resellers going for under 8k if u do a go*gle on it...(* they don't pay me so no full names)
Ernest Kwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2006, 11:10 PM   #15
Trustee

B4-lenses, as has been listed here on this list and in our FAQ on the website, are not a good idea . . . not without the Abekas adapter.
Jason Rodriguez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema > Silicon Imaging SI-2K