DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Silicon Imaging SI-2K (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/silicon-imaging-si-2k/)
-   -   The Mini Only? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/silicon-imaging-si-2k/79219-mini-only.html)

Tyson Perkins November 9th, 2006 04:05 AM

The Mini Only?

With the just the camera had at 12,500, what other accesoris will be needed- i.e. lense etc? will there be anything bundled with the 12,500 package?

Tyson Perkins November 9th, 2006 04:12 AM

Another question

Since the camera utilises a cineform workflow, what is the compatibility like with Mac progams such FCP?

Jason Rodriguez November 9th, 2006 06:44 AM

Quicktime support is coming early Q1 (Jan/Feb).

That will give you direct QT support. You will be able to record straight to QT in the camera and then directly ingest those QT's into Final Cut Pro.

As far as packaging on the Mini-Head, I'm not sure. I do know that the PL-mount is another $1K on top of the $12.5K for the mini head.

We have a great set of c-mount primes from Fujinon (rated to 5Mpix, so perfect for this camera) that can be had for around $350 each . . . so for the price of the just the PL-mount, if you're on a budget, you can get a whole series of prime-lenses for the same $1K price.

We've been using these Fujinon's for quite some time, and they're really sharp and clear. Great, low-cost glass.

Marco Leavitt November 9th, 2006 08:43 AM

Is it possible to have those Fujinons geared for a follow focus mechanism?

Jason Rodriguez November 9th, 2006 12:06 PM

Sure, Dan Dianconau has alread done this!

Gary McClurg November 9th, 2006 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Rodriguez
Quicktime support is coming early Q1 (Jan/Feb).

Not trying to be bad. But at NAB they said it would be here by now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Rodriguez
Sure, Dan Dianconau has alread done this! ).

How much to retool the fuji lens?

Tyson Perkins November 9th, 2006 02:13 PM

Would it possible to for someone to give me a full list of lenses that will be available for it?

Also I if anyone can be bothered, could i please have a rundown on the process which will have to be undertaken inorder to plug into a mac and edit?

How will it scale in terms of image quality against a cam like the JVC HD250

One last question; is there any battery iand charger included in the 12,500 pack?

Thank You Very Much, As I am seriously interesting in buying this camera.

Tyson Perkins November 9th, 2006 04:38 PM

Also what is exactly included in the Mini package - so i can find out what else exactly i will need to purchase

And is there any idea on the exact release date on the head - early/mid/late december?

Tyson Perkins November 11th, 2006 07:42 PM

anyone? i am currently tossing up between this and HD250 so i am very very curious.

Jason Rodriguez November 11th, 2006 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson Perkins
anyone? i am currently tossing up between this and HD250 so i am very very curious.

Hi Tyson,

Sorry to take so long to get back to you.

Well, if it's any indication, the "Spoon" guys over at Atomic VFX dumped their JVC's (they had a couple cameras and had spent months in pre-production and R&D to get the max out of those systems using the uncompressed analog outputs going into external recorders using uncompressed and CineForm) the minute they got their hands on our cameras and shot a simple test scene.

In their words . . . "no comparison" . . .

So, while I have not personally done any comparisons between the two cameras, they seemed to be impressed enought of fore-go all the work they had done with the JVC's and risk their entire movie on what was at that point a prototype camera and a system that hadn't been previously proven in production.

With what they put at risk, I think that speaks a lot for the comparison between our camera and the JVC's.

As far as lenses go, basically you can use any 16mm PL-mount lens, or B-mount, etc. lens adapted to PL-mount. That's a lot of lenses, to many to list here. If you have no money for used 16mm lenses (even the fairly cheap c-mount variety for the bolex cameras), then Fujinon makes some great c-mount lenses too.

Tyson Perkins November 12th, 2006 01:30 AM

Is this the JVC HD100?

Im still wondering price wise, how much will i need to get a decent set up, i would be classed as an 'indie' filmmaker - im looking for a lense in the 1000-3000 range - plus compatible tripod and shotgun mic - this is for the head only, so what also in terms of storage?

Joe Carney November 12th, 2006 01:52 PM

Jason, one of the major reasons they dumped the jvc was because of the P+S Teknik, which between too much grain and light loss, made blow up to film untenable.
Their article in showreel magazine explains it better. Not that the SI2k doesn't make better video to start with.
The SI has went from very affordable to very close to the RED in price when fully configured with ProspectHD and PL mount. Not a good place to be IMHO.

So the 200/250 with the 16mm PL mount optical adapter is a very good option.

Sorry if that sounds harsh.

Tyson Perkins November 12th, 2006 02:25 PM

so RED is a more viable option - money wise?

I mean how much are they lookin for - in terms of the RED camera in comparison to the SI-2K - a full decked out 4k kit?

Joe Carney November 12th, 2006 02:29 PM

No Tyson, make a decision based on what your needs are, not hype. Do research.

Tyson Perkins November 12th, 2006 06:16 PM

I am shooting films for Tropfest and festival's similar to it, two films that will be entering production in January, what do you recommend?

I need a camera that is versatile in both high and low light situations while sustaining a high resolution, We are editing on a couple of quad core Macpro's.

Ive done research and cannot still make a decision, as i am torn between the sacrifice of resolution in the rather small price difference in price of the HD200 and SI, so i am looking here to make a decision.