What about sound recording? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema > Silicon Imaging SI-2K
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Silicon Imaging SI-2K
2/3" 1080p IT-integrated 10-bit digital cinema w/direct-to-disk recording.

Old November 11th, 2006, 12:50 AM   #1
Regular Crew

What about sound recording?

Maybe I missed some threads, but does any of these cameras (i.e. SI-2k)record sound? I haven't read anything about microphone inputs or audio compression. Are we supossed to record sound separately, like in film? Thanks in advance.
Carlos Osterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2006, 05:06 PM   #2
Silicon Imaging

The best Audio will be from a dual-system sound configuration, just like Film production!

The SI-2K supports:

* Stereo Mic/Line Level inputs with 16-bit/48Khz sampling

* Audio Recording multiplexed into .AVI (.Mov with QT release)

* Speaker/Headphone output

The audio is input via Intel HD Audio on Core 2 embedded mobo.

Alternatively, you can use an isolated USB Audio Interface with XLR/Preamps and recorded thru its wav interface.
Ari Presler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2006, 06:34 PM   #3
Major Player

Is there any form of time code implementation?
Valeriu Campan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2006, 06:36 PM   #4
Major Player

Would the Edirol R-4 pro (www.edirol.com/products/r4pro/index.html ) be any good as a USB pre amp/mixer or would the 4 channels of audio cause problems. Or even better would the SI-2K accept 4 channels of audio.

As the R-4 is a recorder with timecode as well it should be fine for double system recording but it would be nice (quicker) not to have to sync up in post.
Rohan Dadswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2006, 10:59 PM   #5
Trustee

The problem with 4-channels of audio is that the current AVI's only can take a 2-channel mux (Video For Windows limitation), so we'd have to mix-down the 4-channels to 2-channels anyways.

Yes, there is timecode implemented. Right now it's time of day, but we're working on getting the whole gamut of timecode implemented with external LTC timecode syncing.
Jason Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2006, 01:52 AM   #6
Major Player

What about this sound device?

http://www.samsontech.com/products/p...1901&brandID=4

Can it be useful? Only as audio interface or also as recording device?

Timecode?
Mathieu Kassovitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2006, 11:57 PM   #7
Silicon Imaging

USB Audio Interface

I would like to hear some input on which audio intefaces are most popular and which ones we should directly support?

The Samson looks interesting with integrated mics and recording.
Old November 17th, 2006, 05:31 AM   #8
Regular Crew

To be honest I have never used a USB external device on a set,only ever Firewire and the most popular from my experience and the one I use is the Motu Traveller due to the fact of a 4pin XLR in the side making a true mobile Pro interface on a sound trolley and the fact Mac users are used to it as much as me a PC user is.

Are you going to support Firewire Audio devices in the future ?

I'd be intrested in hearing about others experiences recording with USB devices myself.
Ian Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2006, 07:26 AM   #9
Silicon Imaging

Ian,

Our first target is to support a small form factor USB device for portable applications where an external Mic/PreAmp is desired for use with a Notebook (or desktop) being used as the video and audio (2-ch for now)recording system.

Here is one device proposed:

http://www.sounddevices.com/products/mx2master.htm

For dual system sound, the "Spoon" team used the MOTU traveller for a dedicated recording system. There was a recent update on their blog:

http://indiefilmlive.blogspot.com/

MOTU does also have a USB version:

http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/828/
Attached Thumbnails
What about sound recording?-spoon_traveller.jpg  
Old November 18th, 2006, 05:53 AM   #10
Regular Crew

The 828 works fine having used 3 of them to help record 50 odd tracks of a stage show but it isn't mobile for location recording hence the traveler being so usefull, for what we do it must be 12v and if at all possible have a 4 pin XLR in the side for power, now one small unit we have used in a few situations to great effect for 2 channels is the creative Audigy 2 ZS notebook PCMCIA card, we had some situations 2 years ago on a drama where ease of moving was needed but we wanted to try out using a laptop and the end result was very good considering the cost and it not really being a pro unit or at least advertised as such, I'd have no problem if you had a pcmcia slot in the camera at some time in the future, worst problem really is the lack of xlr's but I'm sure a set of tails strapped to the camera would be fine, after all it's not like we don't do that now with xlr's to a 10pin hirose. I'm not sure of the top of my head though if the creative stuff is only ASIO though and I can't remember if you were supporting that to start with or not.

The sound devices USBpre unit is a great choice btw, I'd have no problems with that being a recomended device to use in a basic recording straight to camera situation.
Ian Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2006, 06:43 PM   #11
Major Player

Merci Ari.

I'd like to play with the Samson and maybe I'll order an unit but I'd like to check if could it have any future field use? Or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathieu Kassovitz
What about this sound device?

http://www.samsontech.com/products/p...1901&brandID=4

Can it be useful? Only as audio interface or also as recording device?

Timecode?
Mathieu Kassovitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2006, 01:37 PM   #12
Silicon Imaging

Mathieu

I will be interested to hear your feedback on this unit and see if you would recommend to others on the forum.

Ari
Old August 7th, 2009, 11:49 AM   #13
Trustee

Three years later...

Three years on, what are the currently recommended mobile sound input devices for SI-2K + laptop?

Something with quality mic preamps with phantom power.
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2009, 01:36 PM   #14
Major Player

I have used these options with my si2k setup in Toronto:

1. M-Audio Box -USB interface. Work quite well, though we did have one glitch on the last shoot, which made the audio go all 'wobbly'. Very random, was unable to determine what the cause of it was.. luckily the sound guy was recording to a hard drive as a backup just in case.
2. Rhode Microphone - XLR>1/8" Mic jack Setting levels with Windows Microphone controls (not great audio, but usable)
3. Senheisser Wireless mics - XLR>1/8" Mic Jack
4. Recording seperate system to a ZOOM portable recorder.

FrameDiscreet.com transfers // cinematography for the latest news in our cinematographer collective!
Justin Lovell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2009, 01:44 PM   #15
Trustee

I'd think Firewire would be preferred due to the latency introduced by USB devices??

Maybe this:

PreSonus | FireBox Interface | FIREBOX | B&H Photo Video

But I do not know if it plays nicely with the Windows' original sound panel, which SI says must be used for their software' sound input?..
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema > Silicon Imaging SI-2K