DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Silicon Imaging SI-2K (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/silicon-imaging-si-2k/)
-   -   120 fps (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/silicon-imaging-si-2k/79938-120-fps.html)

Thomas English November 18th, 2006 01:02 PM

120 fps

Inside the industrial part of your website, under digital cinema there is a whole article about the SI-1920HD camera.

In 720p mode we know we can go up to 72fps from the workflow part of your website. However inside the article it says you can go up to 120fps, will this be possible using the DVR? would we have to use a laptop for 120fps?

There is even mention of using sub sampling to take the frame rate up to 960fps at (480x270)

How would we go about using our heads at 120fps ?

thankyou very much for your time

Jason Rodriguez November 18th, 2006 01:13 PM

72fps is the limit that gigabit ethernet can transfer at. So the current camera heads are limited not by the chip but by the speed of the transfer interface.

But not to worry, we like that 120fps number as well :)

Karina Nemuhina November 18th, 2006 08:34 PM

Hi Jason,
I hope this is to say 120fps will be implemented. This happens to be my magic number for miniature work and some vfx work.I'm sure a lot of forum members will agree with that.I must confess i ain't too happy with 72fps.
With 2k already implemented, if 120fps is lumped in, i think i'll have no more requirements , for a while.
Thanks.

Ari Presler November 19th, 2006 01:53 PM

The gigabit link can transfer data at a max of 850Mb/sec or just over 100MB/sec. Using 12bit data this is 70Mpixel/sec.

1280 x 720 @ 72P = 100MB/sec

If you want to go at higher frame rates you will need to crop your image dimensions.

Any higher frame rate at 720P will require a different product.

Thomas English November 20th, 2006 09:15 AM

so it s simply a software upgrade to have an even higher frame rate at standard definition 720 x 576 and this would further window on the chip?

how much chip would we be using at 640 x 480? totally useless for broadcast but good for mobile phone and some internet distribution etc.

I appreciate this may not be available in the first release of software but will it be available later? Is it simply software windowing further and getting higher frame rates

I only ask because I have a mobile phone high speed job we were going to shoot on s16 but I suspect we will have to knock it out before your product is available.

Ari Presler November 20th, 2006 10:04 AM

Thomas,

We have heard several requests for SD (640 or 720) at highjer frame rates for streaming media application (Web Content and Mobile Phones) and will very likely add this support for a follow-on software release. Yes. It will be just a download away.

You would need a 1/3" optic to cover the imaging area.

What is the timeline on your high-speed shoot?

Thomas English November 20th, 2006 12:14 PM

to cover a 1/3in gate, that s cool, I would probably use a 12mm to 18mm s16 lens, a 16mm lens would be the FOV equivilant of a 36mm on a s16 gate or 70mm on 35mm gate, which is nice and flat and great for beauty and is perfect for this as well as great for mobile/internet distribution as you can t really have wides. They are talking about shooting before xmass... However... in this world I don t believe anything until I ve cashed the cheque.

Thanks for the response. This feature could also be great for broadcast compositing.