Super 16mm or 16mm at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema > Silicon Imaging SI-2K
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Silicon Imaging SI-2K
2/3" 1080p IT-integrated 10-bit digital cinema w/direct-to-disk recording.

Old November 20th, 2006, 02:03 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Super 16mm or 16mm

Please what is the optimal lens to use on the SI2K. Is it Super 16mm or 16mm lenses & which will cause cropping or vignetting.
Also is the use of Ground glass adapters like Redrocks M2 possible with the c-mount.
Lastly can Shallow DOF be achievable in Close-ups with any lens other than the SUPERSPEEDS, for instance using the Fujinon C-mounts.
Thanks.
Karina Nemuhina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2006, 04:19 PM   #2
Trustee

Both 16mm and S16 glass will work with the SI-2K, although S16 will have a 1.15x multiplier (approx). Of course the newer lenses (and sharper glass) are all S16, so your best glass with be either Zeiss or Cooke, or something of that nature.

As far as the ground-glass adapters, we haven't hooked any of those up yet, but if you shoot wide-open with either the Fujinon or the Superspeeds, you'll get an effect similar to shooting 4-perf 35mm at F4-5.6. This won't be as shallow a DOF as a F1.2 or F2.0, but it is still fairly shallow.
Jason Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2006, 09:18 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Jason, what is the widest aperture you can use without having problems with the microlenses on the altasens chip? The fujinon lens is f1.2 wide open, correct? I don't know what the distortions look like, or if is just simple vignetting, but could the video be corrected in post-editing if you use a super fast lens like a f0.95?
Solomon Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 06:44 AM   #4
Trustee

That I don't know . . . sorry :(
Old November 21st, 2006, 05:06 PM   #5
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

could you be MORE specific on the 16mm lens ..

i know 16mm lens will cover 720p so the question is

does 16mm lens cover 1080p ?

does 16mm lens cover 2k ?
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2006, 07:03 AM   #6
Trustee

16mm covers the entire chip . . . although some early glass, such as older Angenieux, Switar, and Bolex-class c-mount lenses can vingette at wider angles.

But the B-mount class stuff should work fine, although you will need to make it a PL-mount to fit the camera.
Old November 22nd, 2006, 10:25 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Rodriguez
As far as the ground-glass adapters, we haven't hooked any of those up yet, but if you shoot wide-open with either the Fujinon or the Superspeeds, you'll get an effect similar to shooting 4-perf 35mm at F4-5.6. This won't be as shallow a DOF as a F1.2 or F2.0, but it is still fairly shallow.
Jason , what are the cons of using the Fujinons & is it possible to follow focus with them.
Karina Nemuhina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2006, 09:24 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Rodriguez
That I don't know . . . sorry :(
I could ship one of my Schneider-Kreuznach f0.95 lenses (for free) to the Silicon Imaging team to do a couple frame grabs or tests.

These are very sharp, very fast, and about $1000 from B&H Photo. ($1300 for the 17mm)

If SI doesn't have time to evaluate it, Are there any SI-Mini owners here who would be willing to help me out?
Solomon Chase is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema > Silicon Imaging SI-2K