Monitor Recommendation at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema > Silicon Imaging SI-2K
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Silicon Imaging SI-2K
2/3" 1080p IT-integrated 10-bit digital cinema w/direct-to-disk recording.

Old March 25th, 2007, 11:49 AM   #1
Major Player

Monitor Recommendation

Is there a specific LCD monitor you guys can recommend for capture/editing SI-2K footage? The monitor on the Dell M90 is very sharp, but lacks contrast.
John DeLuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2007, 01:21 PM   #2
Trustee

Well, depends on the price range you're looking at . . . at the top of the list I'd use the Cinetal, but that would run you around $15K.

In the $1-3K price range, there is a comany called Eizo that makes some really great color-accurate monitors . . . the ColorEdge series come with hardware calibration as well. You can see more here:

http://www.eizo.com/products/lcd/s2411w/index.asp
http://www.eizo.com/products/graphic...0wsp/index.asp
Jason Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2007, 03:33 PM   #3
Major Player

Jason-

The 24" color edge is exactly what I’m looking for! We have some exciting things planned for the mini when it comes tomorrow. I will post some grabs ASAP of a few things I wanted to see more of online from others (includes HMI interview outside, high contrast wide angle shots, high color shots, lots of skin).
John DeLuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2007, 04:50 PM   #4
Major Player

John, that would be great !
I've been asking SI for some more examples for ages but they've not managed it.
Look forward to your reports.

Last edited by Rohan Dadswell; March 25th, 2007 at 09:11 PM.
Rohan Dadswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2007, 06:59 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
I've been asking SI for some more examples or ages but they've not managed it.
BTW, Rohan, this is not because we haven't wanted to, but right now we are simply pressed for time . . . also we have been providing certain productions with cameras, that due the nature of what they are working on, are unable to send grabs from their productions.
Old March 30th, 2007, 10:47 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Rodriguez View Post
BTW, Rohan, this is not because we haven't wanted to, but right now we are simply pressed for time . . . also we have been providing certain productions with cameras, that due the nature of what they are working on, are unable to send grabs from their productions.
Hey!

We are one of those productions. Or, I should say, I am renting my SI Mini and myself to one of those productions.

We are shooting a feature called Blood: A Butcher's tale, starring Aaron Douglas from Battlestar Galactica, among other talents.

On set we use the Dell M90 and a 26" BenQ HD monitor. I have to confess that neither is a calibratable production monitor, but there is so much latitude and information in the RAW files, that we are confident in the flexiblity that he FX guy will have in post (we are shooting 80-90% green screen).

I'm tired, in the middle of production, and I'm drinking a bit of wine. Just having fun and loving the SI Mini and thought I'd say hello.

Cheers,
Chris.
Old March 30th, 2007, 10:49 PM   #7
Regular Crew

btw, I hope to be posting some stills and footage shortly on this or another popular forum. (trying not to cross post here). Cheers.
Old March 31st, 2007, 12:41 AM   #8
Trustee

Hey Chris, welcome to the list!

BTW, I wasn't pointing blame at anyone before about footage, was just saying I hope that others on this list realize that productions like yourself just can't release a bunch of source footage at free-will, especially when you're in the heat of production. Plus there's certain PR issues to manage as well with source-footage release.

But just in case anyone is wondering, our cameras are out there working right now, and we'll have some really great stuff to show at NAB.

Also this year we will have an even more extensive Virtual NAB experience for those who can't make it. Just show-up to the website at 9AM on April 16th . . .
Old March 31st, 2007, 06:23 PM   #9
Major Player

Hi Jason,

I wasn't really expecting footage from a working production, I know there are all sorts of issues trying to go down that path.
My frustration comes from not having any full rez RAW clips to test - (a production company I was pitching to has decided to go with a four letter word camera)
I'm sure SI hasn't built a camera without shooting some test shots, the stuff on your site looks very nice but its hard to tell if noise and banding is from recompressing, old 1920 chips, or from the camera itself (I'm sure it's not;-)

The fact that the camera is out there and working is a great thing and I look forward to any on set reports on using the SI-2K (hint hint) and roll on Virtual NAB.
Old March 31st, 2007, 09:50 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Rohan,

we should have some stuff shortly, as in a few days. At the latest after production wraps which is around the 4th. I should be able to get you, or, point you towards some full rez screen grabs.
Old March 31st, 2007, 11:52 PM   #11
Major Player

Chris,

That would be brilliant.
I realize that you (and the other SI-2K users) are busy but any info on your experiences of using this camera (& the results) would be greatly appreciated.
Old April 1st, 2007, 06:18 PM   #12
Major Player

I will have some grabs up soon. I just want to make sure I have the whole workflow optimized before posting.
John DeLuca is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema > Silicon Imaging SI-2K