ENG Style shooting... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema > Silicon Imaging SI-2K

Silicon Imaging SI-2K
2/3" 1080p IT-integrated 10-bit digital cinema w/direct-to-disk recording.

Old May 29th, 2007, 08:59 AM   #1
Inner Circle

ENG Style shooting...

Hello,

I have video company and am researching the inevitable move to HD production.

So far, the cameras I would be interested in (XDCAM HD, HPX500) are in the high teen's to low $20,000 range.

Forgive my ignorance, but after reading a bit about the SI camera, I wondered if it would be a fit my work.

I shoot a lot of different things from live shows to produced training/instruction to weddings!

This camera would seem to cost the same as the HD video cameras, but offer an extra bit for a different look.

The hard drive based workflow seems like a good design.

My main question, could I put a lens with a zoom servo on the camera?

The "normal" video lens is a bayonet mount. I have read B4 & C mount, but am not familiar with motion film equipment.

Thanks
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2007, 05:06 PM   #2
Trustee

To be frank personally I don't think the SI-2K or any of the digital film cameras are a good solution for ENG style shooting. There's many things you get in a ENG camera that are missing (and for good reason) in these kinds of cameras. Not to say that you couldn't use one (news used to be shot on film) and of all the digital film cameras the SI-2K would be the best of the bunch if you really wanted to use a digital film camera for ENG.

You need to be realistic about costs, factor in cost of lenses, batteries, matte boxes, filters etc and the ticket price of any of the digital film cameras isn't the whole story. Again the SI-2K is in my opinion the best of the bunch in this respect, that's why we're eagerly awaiting ours but certainly not for gun and run.

For tapeless ENG though the upcoming XDCAM EX if you don't have a big slab of cash looks very attractive. If money is no object then a F350 or the newer F355 would suit way better.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2007, 05:28 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks for your reply Bob.

When I add up the cost of a XDCAM HD 350 with a decent HD lens, we are at $25,000-$30,000 dollars.

The 330 would be probably $17,000-25,000.

I am unclear if the SI camera can use the same lenses, but the price is close and the look is unique.

Though you are correct, the XDCAM HD EX, could steal the show in terms of price.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema > Silicon Imaging SI-2K