film-like at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema > Silicon Imaging SI-2K
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Silicon Imaging SI-2K
2/3" 1080p IT-integrated 10-bit digital cinema w/direct-to-disk recording.

Old June 8th, 2007, 12:06 PM   #1
Regular Crew

film-like

is it just me or has anyone else noticed that the images out of the SI camera are the most outstandingly filmlike of any video camera on these boards and some other ones that are not here. even the amateur footage of cars and street shots looks great. maybe SI just has better software image processing tools and LUT's whose curves i'm biased towards? what is going on here? the difference to me is not small; it's huge.
Ali Husain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 01:24 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I totally agree with you Ali. I downloaded the Raw material and boy is it good. You could handle it the same way as a digital photo from a D-slr. TRy it for yourself. Download the rawclips just apply an s-curve and put on some unsharp mask and it's better that anything I've gotten out of my Hd100 whatever process I would have put it through (ok thats natural the thing I wanted to say is that it is so much easier to grade then hdv.)
Teodor Miljevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 06:36 PM   #3
Trustee

Several factors come into play.
You can use real cine lenses.
The latitude of the digital raw 'negative'.
The resolution of the imager.
The size of the imager and top shelf cine style lenses gets you a shallow DOF without the image going through spinning ground glass.
On Set look management with non destructive LUTs.

We don't have our camera as yet to verify this first hand but I'd say you can make the image as film like or not as you desire. Not being locked into one look is a huge bonus.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 09:47 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I know this is a film-centric camera, but I am disappointed that it will not fit my needs coming from using broadcast style video cameras.

I would buy it over any other in its price range just to use it as an HD camera.

All of that dynamic range!

Most of what I shoot requires a zoom, which means ENG zoom servo lenses.

Upon calling the company, it was confirmed that there is no place to plug servo lenses into the body.

The price and look of this camera is a great value.

What a shame the inclusion of ENG HD lenses is not part of the mix.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 11:11 PM   #5
Silicon Imaging

There WILL now be a 12-pin Hirose to power the HD Zooms :-) !

Dont forget to order the B4 lens mount option...
Ari Presler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2007, 12:06 AM   #6
Trustee

Hi Ali and everyone else,

Thanks for the kind comments!

Our goal is to also get some more content online in the coming weeks for both instruction and viewing. Stay tuned :)
Jason Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2007, 08:56 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Ari,

Thanks for the news.

Just to be clear, this lens in this link will work?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._20x_2_3_.html

I know it is the bottom of the HD lens barrel, but just thought I would check.

Thanks
Old June 9th, 2007, 05:55 PM   #8
Trustee

We've spec'd out the 12-pin hirose for the lens servo motor, but we haven't installed it yet, but it will be on the production model cameras. That said, saying it "will work" is in-theory right now, we will have to test and make sure that these lenses do work. Angenieux for instance has been very open with us about the pin-outs for their lenses, so I would assume since their HD servo's are designed to work on Sony, Panasonic, etc., that we should not have any problems with other manufacturer's lenses as well which are designed to work on the same camera. So you can be pretty assured that Angenieux lenses will work, but if someone else throws in some "secret sauce" into their lens, that that might take us a little more work to figure out, which would mean downtime for you.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is we are doing what we can to support these lenses, but don't run out and purchase anything just yet, and spend your hard-earned cash until we've done some tests and can tell you for sure what works and what doesn't. As noted, all these lenses *should* work since they are conforming to the same standard. But there's no rush . . . we'll do some tests and let everyone know what works and what doesn't. Then you can spend your money wisely :)
Old June 10th, 2007, 07:48 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Thanks,

I look forward to the test results
Old June 10th, 2007, 04:29 PM   #10
Major Player

"There WILL now be a 12-pin Hirose to power the HD Zooms"

Excellent, I take it that this will be on the body of the SI-2k and not the mini head. (so I'll still have to make up a box to use a B4 zoom with the camera split - Oh well :-)
Rohan Dadswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2007, 06:20 PM   #11
Trustee

Yes, this is on the body of the SI-2K, not the MINI head.
Old June 11th, 2007, 08:24 AM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan Dadswell View Post
"There WILL now be a 12-pin Hirose to power the HD Zooms"

Excellent, I take it that this will be on the body of the SI-2k and not the mini head. (so I'll still have to make up a box to use a B4 zoom with the camera split - Oh well :-)

I assume you want to be able to remote control the B4 lens on the mini on say a crane?

If so I'm pretty certain they're already boxes that do that, no doubt for a price of course.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2007, 04:27 PM   #13
Major Player

Hi Bob

Yes you are right, it is for some crane work. I like the idea of being able to just put the mini head & lens at the end of a jib arm. A lot less weight to carry around & set up. There are control boxes around to do the job but as you say they do cost and I've already got the zoom control & cable.
I'll just have to make a power box for the lens, it's only 5 volts - I think ;-)
Rohan Dadswell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema > Silicon Imaging SI-2K