DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Silicon Imaging SI-2K (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/silicon-imaging-si-2k/)
-   -   canon lens support? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/silicon-imaging-si-2k/96985-canon-lens-support.html)

Justin Ly June 20th, 2007 01:03 PM

canon lens support?

i noticed that you have support for nikon f-mount lenses and canon EF lenses. i use an assortment of canon lenses particularly older, vintage lenses. will there be any future plans for support of canon fd lenses on SI cameras? i know there are aftermarket adaptors available to use fd lenses on an EF mount. is this advisable? there would be 2 adaptors would be on the camera: the interchangable EF lens mount you offer then an FD lens mount adaptor on top of that to use my FD lenses.

Jason Rodriguez June 20th, 2007 02:13 PM

Hi Justin,

Very good questions, and I can look into this for you.

Thanks,

Jason

Lauri Kettunen June 21st, 2007 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin Ly (Post 699828)
i noticed that you have support for nikon f-mount lenses and canon EF lenses.

Justin, I'm also highly interested in the Canon EF-adapter. Just in case you did not know, the current EF-adapter is only mechanical, there are no electric connectors. This implies the EF-lens will be wide open all the time (unless you put the lens into a EOS body, set some other aperture and push some buttom while taking the lens off). However, the good news from P+S Technik are, the electric adapter is on its way.

Now, what comes to the FD-lenses, in my understanding P+S Technik does have an adapter for that.

John DeLuca June 24th, 2007 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lauri Kettunen (Post 700172)
Justin, I'm also highly interested in the Canon EF-adapter. Just in case you did not know, the current EF-adapter is only mechanical, there are no electric connectors. This implies the EF-lens will be wide open all the time (unless you put the lens into a EOS body, set some other aperture and push some buttom while taking the lens off). However, the good news from P+S Technik are, the electric adapter is on its way.

Now, what comes to the FD-lenses, in my understanding P+S Technik does have an adapter for that.

****(unless you put the lens into a EOS body, set some other aperture and push some buttom while taking the lens off).****

Actually, I tried this with Nikkor DX lenses/Nikon D2X body(17-55 F2.8 and 70-200 F2.8 VR) and it still defaults to wide open when you take the lens off the body. It would be great news if they figured out how to control the iris from another adapter. The 70-200 F2.8 is razor sharp.

John

Justin Ly July 27th, 2007 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Rodriguez (Post 699871)
Hi Justin,

Very good questions, and I can look into this for you.

Thanks,

Jason

Hi Jason..
Any word on the lens support for Canon FD on your cameras? I think that FD lenses are much more robust, cheaper and much more suited for the film set than newer EF lenses. I noticed even your competitor(s) are even offering adaptors for this format.

Don Donatello July 28th, 2007 09:29 AM

birger engineering makes a electrical EF adaptor ( for a PL camera)
approx $1000

http://www.birger.com/Merchant2/merc...cable=&Search=

in the future they'll have one for Nikon AF's

Jeremy Kromberg July 30th, 2007 09:27 PM

Cool Canon EF Lens Interface

I own a bunch of EF glass that I love to use with my Canon EOS 10D. Is it possible to contol this Birger engineering device in Silicon DVR? It would be so cool to use my Canon 70-200 EF lens with the SI-mini. Is that wishful thinking?

Jason Rodriguez July 31st, 2007 08:39 AM

No, I don't see that as wishful thinking at all, especially with the USB cable . . . of course at this point though I'm sure about the actual benefit of this device for the development required, i.e., the lenses are all going to be super-telephotos with our sensor-size. For instance, that Canon 70-200 will be a 175-500mm lens . . . but again, we can look into this. Not discounting anything, just saying it will require development. I'm also not sure if SiliconDVR is the ideal place to to control it, i.e., might be nicer to have an actual device you plug into with nice buttons, etc. that will let you quickly access the lens while shooting rather than having to flip around in SiliconDVR through menus and dialog boxes.

Jeremy Kromberg July 31st, 2007 01:17 PM

A small controler to change F stops ect. would be the best solution for sure. I just got a little excited. My EF L glass is sweet for still pictures. Thanks for all the hard work and info. Jeremy.