DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-4k-ultra-hd-handhelds/)
-   -   New! Sony FDR-AX1 4K Handycam! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-4k-ultra-hd-handhelds/518702-new-sony-fdr-ax1-4k-handycam.html)

Glen Vandermolen September 4th, 2013 03:47 AM

New! Sony FDR-AX1 4K Handycam!

It's now official:

Unveiled: Sony New Consumer 4K, Action, and Music Camcorder Models | BH inDepth

4K, 60P.
1/2.3" chip, 8 million effective pixels, f1.6 aperture on a 20X zoom!
XAVC-S codec in an MP4 wrapper.

Sony Announces the FDR-AX1 Digital 4K Video Camera Recorder, HDR-AS30V HD POV Action Camcorder, and HDR-MV1 Music Camcorder—Now Available at B&H Photo Video

Sony announces three new video cameras. The ground-breaking model is the FDR-AX1 Digital 4K Video Camera, which supports 3840 x 2160 4K resolution; the other two new models are the HDR-AS30V HD POV Action Camcorder and the HDR-MV1 Music Camcorder.

NYC, NY (PRWEB) September 04, 2013 -- Sony has just announced three new video cameras. The ground-breaking model is the FDR-AX1 Digital 4K Video Camera, which supports 3840 x 2160 4K resolution. The other two new models are the HDR-AS30V HD POV Action Camcorder and the HDR-MV1 Music Camcorder. The HDR-AS30V is an update on last year’s HDR-AS10 and HDR-AS15 action camera models, while the HDR-MV1 is a one-of-a-kind compact camcorder designed specifically for capturing high-quality audio to match the Full HD video.

The Sony FDR-AX1 Digital 4K Video Camera is Sony’s 4K camcorder that affords about four times the resolution of a Full HD 1080p camcorder and is outfitted with a variety of professional controls including independent zoom, focus, and iris rings. The Sony FDR-AX1 features a high-performance image processor and a back illuminated 8.3MP Exmor R CMOS image sensor that work in concert to facilitate 3840 x 2160p 4K video recording at 60 fps. This means that one will be able to record at the camera’s maximum frame rate—even when shooting 4K video.

The Sony FDR-AX1 supports the XAVC-S 4K/HD recording format, which is usually reserved for professional applications. However, since the XAVC-S codec will save as an MP4 wrapper, one can still create web-friendly videos that can be easily shared on social media sites like YouTube. Another highlight of the XAVC-S recording format is its ability to record images at 150Mbps in 4K and at 50Mbps in Full HD. The FDR-AX1 has also adopted a more professional type of recording media, thanks to the inclusion of dual next-generation XQD media card slots. Both XQD card slots support fast 4K/HD writing and reading rates.

Another feature that makes the FDR-AX1 a professional-class video camera is its audio-recording capability. It records 2-channel Linear PCM (LPCM) audio with a built-in high-performance stereo microphone. However, the camera also features dual integrated professional-class XLR audio inputs for connecting external microphones. Photographers will even be able to mix audio tracks from the internal microphone with the audio recorded from any connected external mics. The camera’s other connectivity options include a headphone jack, a USB 2.0 port, an HDMI output, an analog A/V output, an accessory shoe, and more. The HDMI output facilitates playback of 4K/60p video on a compatible 4K Bravia LED TV.

The Sony HDR-AS30V rugged action camera, designed for shooting in the mountains, water, or anywhere else action sports take place. It’s ideal for skiing, snowboarding, skateboarding, surfing, motocross, skydiving, mountain biking, and any other outdoor adventure sports. The lightweight and rugged, wearable action camcorder supports up to Full HD 1920 x 1080p video recording at 60 fps. It also features a 2x Slow Motion Mode that supports 1280 x 720p HD video capture at 60 fps and a 4x Slow Motion Mode that supports 1280 x 720p HD video capture at 120 fps. Play back the 120-frames-per-second footage at 30 fps for super-slow-motion shots to highlight the action shots, or to review tricks, form, and technique.

Sony includes a rugged waterproof housing with the HDR-AS30V. The waterproof housing has a universal tripod mount and is waterproof down to a depth of 197 feet (60 m). It is also dirt and dust resistant, which makes the camera nearly impervious to mud, snow, rain, sand, and grime. The camera is equipped with a Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar lens, which supports a wide 170-degree viewing angle and SteadyShot image stabilization with Active Mode. It has a back illuminated Exmor R CMOS image sensor as well, which supports superb low-light performance.

The Sony HDR-MV1 Music Camcorder is designed specifically for capturing high-quality video and audio. It can record Full HD 1920 x 1080p video at 30 fps and LPCM or AAC stereo audio. For video, it's equipped with a 16MP Exmor R CMOS image sensor and a wide-angle Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar lens with a 120-degree angle of view. It can also capture HD 1280 x 720p video at 30 fps and it records to the web-friendly MP4 format. The camcorder features a 2.7" LCD monitor as well.

For recording audio, the HDR-MV1 features a 120-degree stereo X/Y microphone array and an external microphone input. It also has a headphone jack for more accurate audio monitoring. You can record audio using the 44.1kHz/16-bit LPCM format or the 48kHz/128kbps AAC format. Plus, the camcorder supports Audio Lip Sync functionality and manual or auto audio-level control. The 2.7" LCD screen features an on-screen meter as well, which you can use to monitor the audio input levels.

About B&H Photo Photo Video

As the world's largest source of photography, video and audio equipment, B&H Photo-Video is known worldwide for their attentive, knowledgeable sales staff, and excellent customer service, including fast and reliable shipping. Visitors to the website can access a variety of enlightening articles and educational videos. B&H has been satisfying customers worldwide for nearly to 40 years. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

Cliff Totten September 4th, 2013 05:10 AM

Re: New! Sony FDR-AX1 4K Handycam!

2/3 inch sensor?
Linear PCM audio?
60p?
4K=150Mbp/s?
HD=50Mbp/s?

All this on a "Handycam"?

What will they leave for the "NXCAM" model and what more for the "XDCAM" models? We know know that it's a single ship. Maybe the XDCAM series will be a 3 chip?

Pixel count = Approx. 18,900,000 pixels. That's oversampled enough for de-Bayering. I wonder how good/bad it's low light performance is.

How with this camera will affect Sony's current HD model lineup? This is ALLOT for a "Handycam"

CT

Monday Isa September 4th, 2013 05:29 AM

I knew it wouldn't be a 1/2 or 2/3 or 1" sensor but didn't expect a single 1/2.3 sensor. I was wrong thinking 3 chip and 1/3" sensor cause of the 20x zoom.

Doug Jensen September 4th, 2013 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliff Totten (Post 1811212)
2/3 inch sensor?
CT

It's slightly smaller than a 1/2" sensor. It is a long ways from being a 2/3" sensor camera.

Cliff Totten September 4th, 2013 05:41 AM

lol,..you got me on that sensor size. My eyes are blurry..still waking up in Florida here. (that mixed with wishful thinking) hehe

The bitrate specs are pretty high too, even for "consumer" HD.

That sensor will probably take allot of NR to clean that picture in high gains. This is a very high density chip alright. Can anyone calculate the photosite micron size? (roughly?)

Ron Evans September 4th, 2013 07:54 AM

BH page not available now likely because the officially announcement is not due for a few hours. I hear NA announcement will be later this week. I will wait until all is out as the specs have been wrong in the past both at B&H and Sony !!! As far as sensor goes the current Sony HX50V has a 1/2.3", 21M pixel sensor effective pixels 20.4 !!! I have the older HX30V which I think has 18M pixels. Takes good video at 60P as good as the CX700 and NX30U but low light is not as good. Considering it has a tiny lens it is good. With a lens more than 4 times bigger it should have a lot more light to work with. The noise level on all of these cameras is less than my NX5U.

Ron Evans

edit: There could of course be a difference between the FDR-AX1 and the PVW-Z100. Most of the small Sony handycams are now small sensors 1/4" but the top of the line consumer camcorders are still 1/2.88.

Chris Hurd September 4th, 2013 09:05 AM

I've edited Glen's post to include the original text of the B&H article. Enjoy.

Kyle Root September 4th, 2013 09:34 AM

Not bad.

This looks like it is the re vamped AX2000.

Wondering if we'll see an NXCAM upgrade too.... If 64 GB holds 2 hours, the 128 GB FMU would hold 4 hours at 4K.

Alister Chapman September 4th, 2013 09:35 AM

The MV1 is really neat, but I can't say more until tomorrow.

Mark Williams September 4th, 2013 11:37 AM

I am finding conflicting information. Does this cam shoot in a 4:2:2 color space or 4:2:0 ?

Matt Sharp September 4th, 2013 11:44 AM

Mark it looks like the PXW-Z100 shoots 4:2:2 and 'true' 4K while the AX1 shoots 4:2:0 in UHD/QHD. With the AX1 maxing out at 150Mbps and the Z100 maxing out at 500Mbps.

Ron Evans September 4th, 2013 11:45 AM

Looks like the FDR-AX1 is 4:2:0 and the PZW-Z100 is 4:2:2 also codec for AX1 is XAVCS and for Z100 is XAVC. AX1 is 4K MP4 and AVCHD HD and Z100 is only 4K or HD with MXF file formating. I am also trying to find all the differences between the models as well as price differences.

Ron Evans

Dave Blackhurst September 4th, 2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Evans (Post 1811251)
BH page not available now likely because the officially announcement is not due for a few hours. I hear NA announcement will be later this week. I will wait until all is out as the specs have been wrong in the past both at B&H and Sony !!! As far as sensor goes the current Sony HX50V has a 1/2.3", 21M pixel sensor effective pixels 20.4 !!! I have the older HX30V which I think has 18M pixels. Takes good video at 60P as good as the CX700 and NX30U but low light is not as good. Considering it has a tiny lens it is good. With a lens more than 4 times bigger it should have a lot more light to work with. The noise level on all of these cameras is less than my NX5U.

Ron Evans

edit: There could of course be a difference between the FDR-AX1 and the PVW-Z100. Most of the small Sony handycams are now small sensors 1/4" but the top of the line consumer camcorders are still 1/2.88.

I'd just point out that the HX50, with a relatively smaller lens, but the same sensor as the HX300 is worlds apart in "low light" performance. The HX300 holds up surprisingly well in low light, able to shoot video (albeit noisy) in low light conditions almost as well as the high end handycams... the HX50, not so much...

There are a lot of potential varaiables, even using the "same" sensor, seems to me that sometimes it depends on which team of Sony engineers is working with the supplied "hardware".

Ron Evans September 4th, 2013 01:56 PM

Yes Dave there is clearly a difference in maybe the sensor selection from the production line, the lens size used and the lens glass used. Just looking at dimensions is far from the whole story.

Ron Evans

Joe Ogiba September 4th, 2013 04:11 PM

Sample Video for 4K Handycam FDR-AX1 :