Sony FDR-AX100 - Page 119 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old December 23rd, 2014, 08:29 AM   #1771
Regular Crew

Re: Sony FDR-AX100

Hi Ron,
It looks like I am going to need to do some experimentation to see just how the down converted 1080p 30fps handles motion.
Thanks for the explanation
Denny
Dennis Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2014, 08:47 AM   #1772
Inner Circle

I am not a fan of slow frame rates so really notice the cadence. If the camera is fixed and motion is slow in front of the camera I think it is fine. If you like the cadence of film then it will be OK for you. For fast action like sports you will need a faster frame rate in my opinion. Camera movement will lead to background judder if you are not very careful. Not as bad as 24P but twice as bad as 60i or 60P.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2015, 11:53 AM   #1773
New Boot

Hi
Did anyone try to save movies on external media device such as usb stick?
Tnx
Slobodan Pazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2015, 11:46 PM   #1774
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slobodan Pazin View Post
Hi
Did anyone try to save movies on external media device such as usb stick?
I save 4K movies off to a 'My Passport' USB hard drive, and then play them on a Samsung 4K TV, using the USB3 port on the TV. A USB stick might be too slow for this.
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2015, 01:20 AM   #1775
Regular Crew

USB3 flash drives might be OK. portable drives almost certainly OK. It works with USB 3.0 flash drives when edited but not tried directly from the card as I always save it to HD before doing anything else
Old January 6th, 2015, 03:54 AM   #1776
Regular Crew

FDR-AX100 firmware update

The FDR-AX100 will also support XAVC S 4K 100Mbps high-bitrate recording through a firmware update scheduled for March 2015.

Capture every detail of your life in 4K* with compact new... - Sony
Ugo Merlini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2015, 09:26 AM   #1777
New Boot

Hi
Mike and Charles,
tnx for the answer
Regards
Old January 11th, 2015, 04:49 PM   #1778
New Boot

Hi,
I have AX100 PAL and shooting in 25p 4k.
When watching movie directly from camcorder to 4kTV(samsungHU7500) everything is OK.
Info of TV show=3840x2160 25p
I copied same movie on PC(I7 with 2 gtx970 SLI) connected with HDMI(original Samsung cable 1m) to TV and setup
resolution to 3840x2160 25Hz, playback of movie is choppy, info of TV show 3840x2160 25p.
Change to 3840x2160 50Hz playback of movie is OK, Info of TV show=3840x2160 50p
What is your opinion?
Tnx
Old January 12th, 2015, 12:47 AM   #1779
Inner Circle

Your media player software probably does not have proper vertical sync support. MPC-HC should be able to play the file without stutter. Find the vertical sync option in MPC-HC and turn that on.

As for refresh rates, stick to 50hz since PCs work with higher refresh rates better than lower ones like 24hz or 25hz. You'll notice you will have extreme mouse lag at 24hz or 25hz from a PC.

Directly connecting the camera is fine because it's directly playing the file using dedicated hardware, rather than a media player on a PC.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2015, 02:20 PM   #1780
New Boot

HI Jack,
Thank you for the answer, I tried with Vsync ON without success.
I will try to find the solution (human curiosity) but it will not to be obligate for me.
I already can watch it on 50Hz.
Regards
Old March 11th, 2015, 06:57 PM   #1781
Regular Crew

Has anyone used a 256 gig SDXC card with this camcorder? Was it successful for 4K recording? What brand and speed did you get?
Thanks,\
Denny
Dennis Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2015, 01:11 PM   #1782
Regular Crew

Hi Guys:
I am posting this in your hefty AX-100 because I assume that many of you also edit in FCPX an since the AX-100 uses the same file system that the new AX-33 has may be some of you may have ran into this problem before since your camera has been out for some time. I don't think it is a camera problem but I have not had any luck anywhere else to resolve this problem. I think it is actually a lack of support for the XAVC-S CODEC.

I think I may have found a partial solution or a workaround to this problem.
I was trying to insert in the card reader a new card that I shot on the Sony AX-33 that only contained XAVC-S files that is 4K files shot at 100Mbps on the XAVC-S and HD at 60 Mbps at 60p for 1920×1080 also utilizing the same XAVC-S codec so I try importing the clips into FCPX thru the Import window and again the same problem occurred FCPX would see the card only as a Volume And not as a Camera I did this several times even powering down the computer and powering back up and still no go, so I could not even create an archive of the card.
I thought That I ran out of options when it occurred to me that I had one more format to try on the actual camera setting that did not require the use of XAVC-S codec,,,…. that was MP4 so I set it to that and using the same card that I had shot the previous clips, I shot 3 clips of MP4 at their default setting using the same camera and card and took the card out and reinserted it in the reader, opened FCPX and the import window and ……..VOILA!! the card showed up as a Camera in the import window not only with the 3 MP4 files that I just added BUT ALSO WITH ALL THE CLIPS THAT I HAD SHOT IN 4K AND HD USING THE XAVC-S CODEC of course now being displayed as a Camera I am now able to select and play the 4K files and HD files and even select ranges for import or create a camera Archive. Freaking Amazing!!!
I have a theory FCPX does not show at this point any new supported cameras from Sony that shoot with the New codec XAVC-S but they do show supporting the XAVC (without the S) codec in their support page I kind of wonder if this is actually the problem and it may be fixed in future upgrades.
I know that the XAVC-S codec is the consumer version and the XAVC is the Professional version for the XDCAMS from Sony and that one has a Sony Propietary plugging for import on to FCPX, but I don’t know if it applies to the XAVC-S that is used in consumer cameras like mine.
The Sony AX-100 uses the same codec and file system on the card and it has been out for more than one year I wonder if there are any AX-100 users out there that can comment on this finding.
I will have to do more testing but for now I think this is a work around I still can not find any explanation.

I work out of a new late 2013 MacPro with 6 cores and dual 700 FIREPRO AMD graphic card with 32Gigs of memory I never have trouble with 4K playing in this machine.
Thanks,
Luis
Luis A. Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2015, 01:17 PM   #1783
Major Player

Try this to convert Sony A7S - divergent media
or Edius will edit it like butter along with tons of other format.
Old March 13th, 2015, 01:44 PM   #1784
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis A. Diaz View Post
I know that the XAVC-S codec is the consumer version and the XAVC is the Professional version for the XDCAMS from Sony and that one has a Sony Propietary plugging for import on to FCPX, but I don’t know if it applies to the XAVC-S that is used in consumer cameras like mine.
The Sony AX-100 uses the same codec and file system on the card and it has been out for more than one year I wonder if there are any AX-100 users out there that can comment on this finding.
I will have to do more testing but for now I think this is a work around I still can not find any explanation.

I work out of a new late 2013 MacPro with 6 cores and dual 700 FIREPRO AMD graphic card with 32Gigs of memory I never have trouble with 4K playing in this machine.
Thanks,
Luis
Hi
as suggested by Khoi Pham Edius is your friend. I'm (and not only me) in your situation with Media composer (Pc side) but asking in media composer forum for a solution I recieve only reluctant answers from both Sony and Avid. The other option as suggested is to transcode to prores

Ugo
Ugo Merlini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2015, 05:45 PM   #1785
Regular Crew

Thank You Ugo
with all the guys on this thread I really thought there are more guys using FCPX editing the XAVC-S codec from the AX-100.

Edius is out of the question for me because is a Windows program only I Think?? and transcoding to Prores involves another step and so far I have been able to work with 4K natives files which also means smaller files than Prores.
I am hoping some one that works with FCPX will chime in.

Thanks,
Luis
Luis A. Diaz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds