Sony FDR-AX100 - Page 129 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old April 16th, 2017, 11:16 AM   #1921
Major Player

Re: Sony FDR-AX100

I thank you but I have solved my problem sending t efile to a private video laboratory.
Old May 10th, 2017, 03:46 PM   #1922
Major Player

HandBrake and Sony AX100.

I use Sony AX100.
I don't know HandBrake very well and I'd like to ask a question:
I have just created an unconpressed AVI (YUY2) 4K file and now I'd like to create a new file 4K file with HandBrake. I'm insecure if In Framerate (FPS) Option I have to choose 30 or if it is better more than 30. I'd like to get a very good video.
I attach a pic.
Thanks for some info.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Sony FDR-AX100-handbrake.jpg  
Old May 13th, 2017, 02:04 PM   #1923
New Boot

Sony FDR-AX100 three years later

Error, moderator please delete.

Last edited by Jaime Angoloti; May 14th, 2017 at 12:36 AM. Reason: Error.
Jaime Angoloti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2017, 02:06 PM   #1924
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
(From July 2014) "Bottom line, 4K is "new", it's "developing", it's going to have teething pains.... There's a reason that the AX100, the Seiki 4K TV/monitor, and the Intel integrated graphics chipset are ALL 30p "solutions"... #1, I'm cheap, and these were all "affordable", and #2, they will all likely be mostly OBSOLETE in 3-5 years, they will look "dated" as 4K/60p becomes feasible and the norm. BUT, if it opens the door to 4K to mere mortals on budgets... it ain't so bad! And I can't argue with what I can shoot and process RIGHT NOW.

THIS is the state of technology, learn to embrace, use, and enjoy it... or stick with "tried and true" HD "solutions"... or be prepared to spend A LOT more for "professional" solutions. I'll take the "bang for the buck" of my current system over what it replaces any day of the week, even with a few limitations. The "old stuff" had limitations TOO..."
Dave,

As you know from another post you kindly replied to I just bought an FDR-AX100 on amazon for 1200 EUR.

With the advantage of hindsight, what do you think of your words at the time, three years ago? Has the technology evolved so much?

Not that I would care if my recently acquired camera is already obsolete, because it is good enough for my needs, but I would appreciate your thoughts on the matter.

JA
Old May 14th, 2017, 05:08 PM   #1925
Inner Circle

Interesting question Jaime!

Considering that the AX100 is still in the current Sony lineup, that says quite a lot...

I was expecting 60p to become "standard" rather more rapidly than it has... still waiting, 5 years looking like the timeline, as 3 has pretty well gone (unless you count the GH5... tempting, but I'm not ready to completely switch systems!).

I'm still running a "cheap" Seiki TV, had to make sure it had the ability to turn off motion compensation (firmware update), it's supposed to handle 60p, but I've found the laptops that "should" drive it are hampered by the Intel video chipset that somehow just won't go over 30p, even if they have NVIDIA chipsets available...

I'm shooting RX10M2 and M3, which use a similar sensor to the AX100, just a generation or two later, with some minor improvements. Aside from the form factor ("still" vs. "video" camera shape), in my mind they are just a "camera", and capture what I want quite well. The results look stunning, I'm comfortable with the technology and how to get what I want out of it, so even if I have to wish that we had "better", I can't complain!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2017, 05:57 PM   #1926
Trustee

Adriano...select the "same as source" option for framerate.

Dave, 60p at FHD was and is reserved for basically "home video cameras", as 1080 60p is not a broadcast standard or delivery format. Given that 4K production is mostly for 24p TV shows, and the need for HDMI 2.0 to pass 4k 60p, and you end up waiting for the infrastructure of cheapness to trickle down.

I think 60p is the PERFECT framerate, as it works for 720p60, for 1080p60i, and perfectly fine doubling up on 30p 4K stuff. I have never liked 30p...either looks smeared at 1/30 shutter or jittery at 1/60 shutter...a bastard framerate.

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2017, 04:15 AM   #1927
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
All my projects are in the theatre with minimum of 1 hour at a time. I have run my AX100 for 4 hours on the Sony FV100 battery . I would not trust aftermarket batteries only use Sony for my Sony cameras. Why risk not getting a shot for poor batteries. Have run the AX100 on mains power all day for shows. 2 hours in the morning, 3 hours in the afternoon and evening. Absolutely no issues with heat.
As I have said somewhere else, I have the same opinion about Sony batteries: I bought an NP-QM71D for my HDR-HC1 in 2005 or 2006, and used it regularly (but not intensively) until end of 2013. Since then I had never used it or even charged it.

Last week I charged it again and there was no issue at all with it. I know no Lithium ion battery that can do that, stay 3 years and a half without recycling and still work.
Old October 17th, 2017, 09:01 AM   #1928
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Someone had once mentioned something about the color controls on the AX100. I'm not sure how many are aware of this, but within each white balance selection (AWB, outdoor, indoor etc) you have a button called 'option'. Under this option you have the ability to shift the color balance via an onscreen grid toward the amber, blue, green and magenta.

This will be a familiar option among those that regularly use a DSLR and some more pricey camcorders, but it's an option easily missed on the AX100 if you don't know it's there.
anyone come across a detailed howto on this as I would like to bump up the saturation thanks
Bruce Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2017, 09:10 AM   #1929
Trustee

Be aware that when using this WB offsetting, you will create an offset to the AWB/ATW system as well. It is a feature/function best reserved for MANUAL kelvin or dialing in after you set an A or B or whatever it's called on the AX100/CX900 series.

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2017, 04:12 PM   #1930
Major Player

Dear friends, I post here because all you gave me very good suggestions in past time.
I'm a lonely traveller and I'm using a Sony AX100 for my ethnic documentaries around the world. I shot in 4K ans I make UHD videoediting. The next month I'd like to replace my Sony AX100 with Panasonic GH5.

Does anybody use GH5 and Sony AX100? Is there a very improvement in the video quality really?

I'm afraid to make an error to buy GH5 for my documentaries. I'm not expert in cameras and I'm afraid to make an error because a camera isn't so immediate and fast like a videocamera to shot. Can you give me some info please? May be it possible to make a good documentary with a GH5 in the bush or in the forest? I mean about its handling, etc.

Has GH5 a better steadyshot than Sony AX100?

Is it very hard to use the zoom with GH5?

I know GH5 comes with a 12-60 mm object. Can you tell me how much is a 12-60 mm focal compared to a videocamera focal (precisely)?
Thanks
Old May 16th, 2018, 02:05 PM   #1931
Regular Crew

Hi, Ax100 newbie here. My time readout says that I have 4 hours and 30 minutes of recording time left @ 4K. Someone said that the remaining time display was “optimistic” but I did not ask him to quantify that. How do I relate the remaning time display with how much recording time is actually left? I’m using a 128G card.
Thanks
Peter Durso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2018, 02:26 PM   #1932
Inner Circle

The ax100 doesn't guess what remaining recording time is, it is what is says and it's correct, the only thing that can deviate is remaining battery life.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2018, 05:35 PM   #1933
Regular Crew

Thanks!! Simple math should have told me that.
Old May 19th, 2018, 05:53 PM   #1934
Regular Crew

Why does the ND filter symbol blink when the switch is in any position other than off when in manual? it actually says “ND off”. This confuses me, because I think the filter is on.
Old May 19th, 2018, 06:13 PM   #1935
Inner Circle

It is telling you to switch the filter to OFF as it does not need it to control exposure. If you have the filter in any position other than OFF then it is selected for some value ? If you need the filter it will indicate which value to choose to get within exposure range. You can of course ignore it and make your own decisions.
Ron Evans is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds