Sony FDR-AX100 - Page 35 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old March 14th, 2014, 07:30 AM   #511
Trustee

Re: Sony FDR-AX100

Judging by the last two videos I have seen, rolling shutter doesn't seem as bad as I originally thought. (the instability of the "cat" video on the web made me nervous)

I'd say that rolling shutter on the AX100 might be about the same as a typical DSLR and it seems like it should be reasonably manageable. I think the RX10 does a great job at reducing it.

I suspect that the Jell-O level of the AX100 is really exactly where Sony wants it for the $2,000 price point.

Remember that Sony wants to keep it's top paying and mid level paying customers far away from this "Handycam". Sony wants those customer's money to go into upper models. And for those, Sony will reduce the rolling shutter Jell-O. (yes, Sony will make you pay extra for that)

Some people call that "conspiracy theory". It's really not. It's how these cameras are designed and market planned right from the initial blue print phase. It's nothing new,...car companies do that every year with all their models. They all slice and dice features between their models very very carefully and then up-sell you. It's done by ALL the camera companies and a crucial part of their success.

I'm excited to pick up the AX100. My only thoughts now are what Sony has has planned in a couple weeks for NAB. We are certainly going to get more cameras announced.

What will they add to the possible AX100 "pro" big brother? XLR handle for sure,...but what else? Sony will need to add about $1000 more features to the cost of the AX100.

It's been a very interesting year already.

CT
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2014, 07:40 AM   #512
Trustee

Clips are beginning to show up. This was apparently shot at dusk, so lighting wasn't good. Still, not bad.

Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2014, 07:44 AM   #513
Trustee

Very nice detail, but this one illustrates my concern regarding the OIS.

Old March 14th, 2014, 07:54 AM   #514
Trustee

One more, outdoors with a kitty:

Old March 14th, 2014, 07:56 AM   #515
Major Player

This guys videos all have some sort of twisting wobble as he walks.
Old March 14th, 2014, 08:04 AM   #516
Major Player

Another thing is that none of these videos look as sharp at 1080p as the french cat video. It will still be great for how I shoot. I'll shoot anything action in 1080 60p and the tripod stuff at 4k. I want to see how goot the still you can pull from 4K video too. I want mine now !!!

I'm hoping to get some macro shots in 4K like this one from my old TM90
Old March 14th, 2014, 08:08 AM   #517
Major Player

he is not walking he is riding his bike you cn hear the tires on the pavement :)
Doug Tessler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2014, 08:09 AM   #518
Major Player

Finally Nightshot ! I miss this feature on all my camping trips. I was just thinking I'll be out camping with it in 4K mode and I'll see bigfoot and my footage will be more shaky than the Patterson film lol.
Old March 14th, 2014, 08:18 AM   #519
Trustee

Joey, I was actually thinking the opposite. On my display they're razor sharp, perhaps sharper than the French video. But he does have that annoying twist as he walks. It may be his particular gait. I've never been much good with 'walking videos' either as they never really look like what you'd get from a Glidecam.

Here's another of his...very sharp:

Old March 14th, 2014, 08:34 AM   #520
Major Player

You know what Ken I'm watching these at work on a crappy PC monitor so I'm sure that's a huge difference.
Old March 14th, 2014, 08:49 AM   #521
Major Player

Does Youtube still do their post-processing image stabilization? I think that maybe what I've seen pronounced in this cat video that was just posted and the kitchen video posted yesterday. The building and the road shots didn't show any sorts of weird motion/severe rolling shutter. Will get mine next week. Can't wait to play with it.
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2014, 09:02 AM   #522
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Joey, I was actually thinking the opposite. On my display they're razor sharp, perhaps sharper than the French video. But he does have that annoying twist as he walks. It may be his particular gait. I've never been much good with 'walking videos' either as they never really look like what you'd get from a Glidecam.

Here's another of his...very sharp:

FDR-AX100 ?????????? 3 - YouTube
Look at the tarmac in the street @ 0:15 till 0:20 sec in full screen....something weird going on there....
Jan Vanhoecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2014, 09:26 AM   #523
Trustee

Jan, not seeing anything out of the ordinary on my monitor.
Old March 14th, 2014, 09:34 AM   #524
Trustee

Here's a more stabile walking video and it's also done at night. It looks like the AX100 has accurate focusing without hunting, even though it may not be the fastest. Also nice detail at night.

Old March 14th, 2014, 10:29 AM   #525
Trustee

One more. Very nice detail with some beautiful colors in the distance.

Ken Ross is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds