Sony FDR-AX100 - Page 36 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old March 14th, 2014, 02:25 PM   #526
Regular Crew

Re: Sony FDR-AX100

The dark sky above the city skyline and the metal structure along the highway seem to have more noise than I get with similar lighting conditions with my 1080p Sony CX760V. Does it seem a little noisy to anyone else?

I know my claim that it is noisier than my CX760V isn't particularly valid since I didn't shoot the exact same scene with the same exposure settings to do a valid A/B comparison. I'm just going by what I am used to seeing when shooting city skylines at night, which is one of my main video interests.

Hopefully this isn't characteristic of the AX100. I want one and am hoping there are no major flaws. Haven't seen any yet in the recent videos posted, but this one has me a little worried. But the noise isn't so bad as to be a deal breaker.
Dale McClelland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2014, 02:35 PM   #527
Trustee

I think it will be fine Dale. Remember that YouTube compression can also add lots of apparent noise in scenes like this. Unless we have the native file, it's difficult to say this was camera noise as opposed to compression artifacts from YouTube.

We'll know before too long.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2014, 03:03 PM   #528
Regular Crew

Thanks, Ken. It very well could be YouTube and not the camcorder.

I'm looking forward to being able to see actual footage directly out of the camera when those who pre-ordered get theirs and start shooting and posting. Hopefully within a week or so.
Old March 15th, 2014, 10:40 AM   #529
Trustee

Some beautiful color & clarity from this night shot. I suspect, based on this video, the native clips are very clean. Truly amazing that something this small puts out this kind of video!

BTW, even though the first frame that shows here is the same as the other video I posted, it's a totally different clip. I'm not sure why the posted frame is the same.

Old March 15th, 2014, 06:40 PM   #530
Regular Crew

translated text from the above video:

FDR-AX100 test shot (2) 4K Handycam hen night view

To perform cut editing in Sony Movie Studio Platimum the XAVC 4K taken by FDR-AX100,
and conducted youtube write in 4K resolution.
Active mode ON, image stabilization has been walking normally.

Edit: the file/stream properties are 3840x2160 - 23,97 p with ~ 17,8 Mbit/sec

Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L5.1
Format settings, CABAC : Nein
Format settings, ReFrames 2 frames
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Duration : 2min 58s
Bit rate : 17,7 Mbps
Width : 3 840 Pixel
Height : 2160 Pixel
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : variabel
Frame rate : 23,976 FPS
Minimum frame rate 23,974 FPS
Maximum frame rate : 24,590 FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : progressiv

Last edited by Hans Stephan; March 16th, 2014 at 02:35 AM. Reason: added file properties
Hans Stephan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2014, 08:25 AM   #531
Trustee

First indoor close-up I've seen at 2160p:

Old March 16th, 2014, 02:30 PM   #532
Regular Crew

there are a lot of AX 100 files from "misodo" on Youtube in the last day...
the person shot and load up faster, as I can download ....*g*

misodo - YouTube

Select the image quality and image size from the Menu first, the method of 120p high-speed shooting, and then changed to "XAVC S HD" the recording method. Then it is OK to select the shooting mode from the Menu, by selecting a high-speed recording.

hmmm... is the 120p feature now real including in the FDR-AX100 ??
In the european Sony-sites under specifikations... I found it not ...

in the past it gives (a short time) a official Sony video how tells this
but this was imho soon again removed ..

please, excuse my "gibberish" english ... it is not my native language

Last edited by Hans Stephan; March 16th, 2014 at 02:43 PM. Reason: add the 120p thing
Hans Stephan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2014, 03:09 PM   #533
Inner Circle

I think the 120P is 1280x720 so slowed down to 24P in edit. Of courses YouTube will then convert to 30P !!!

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2014, 03:37 PM   #534
Inner Circle

I think Ron is correct, that it's 720p, so it's not nearly as sharp as 1080 or 4K... but 120fps continuous shooting even at reduced quality might be another handy feature to have! I know that was one of the things with the FZ200 that seemed like it might be kinda cool, even if I didn't have an immediate use.

The short high frame rate clips that Sony has historically let you shoot were also lower resolution, AND they were SHORT, at just a few seconds! Sort of useless because of the short duration, a continuous clip would be far more practical!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2014, 10:55 PM   #535
Regular Crew

Here is one of the AX100 that impressed me. When the guy is following the little girl around, the camera never looses focus. (Of course he may have edited out sections where it lost focus. (I saw some GH4 videos where the camera lost focus and had to re-focus several times. That concerned me about the GH4. It was a pre-production model, so maybe the production model and firmware will be better in that regard.)

The shots in the house/apartment in this video are bright and evenly lit. I wonder if he used video lights? Or maybe the AX100 produce can produce bright, clean video indoors?

Old March 17th, 2014, 01:43 AM   #536
Regular Crew

For whatever it is worth, Amazon USA is claiming a release date of March 21 with a note warning about short supply...

--Darin
Old March 17th, 2014, 07:17 AM   #537
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale McClelland View Post
The shots in the house/apartment in this video are bright and evenly lit. I wonder if he used video lights?

Sony FDR AX100 Video test - YouTube
You can see a flat panel light in front of the cardboard box dolls house and I wonder if there is one somewhere shooting up at the ceiling. It is the best video so far of the FDR-AX100. Similar characteristics I have found with my FDR-AX1 in that downscaled 4K is better than 1080P. Not sure how he downscaled though but with Edius Lacsos3 it is very nice. Not sure if the motion blur in places is because of 30P or YouTube !!!

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2014, 07:30 AM   #538
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Stephan View Post
there are a lot of AX 100 files from "misodo" on Youtube in the last day...
the person shot and load up faster, as I can download ....*g*

misodo - YouTube

Select the image quality and image size from the Menu first, the method of 120p high-speed shooting, and then changed to "XAVC S HD" the recording method. Then it is OK to select the shooting mode from the Menu, by selecting a high-speed recording.
I asked this guy if it was a burst mode but he said he filmed for over 20 seconds, If it is continuous that will be awesome.

Has anyone seen if it is a touchscreen auto focus?
Old March 17th, 2014, 07:48 AM   #539
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin Boville View Post
For whatever it is worth, Amazon USA is claiming a release date of March 21 with a note warning about short supply...

--Darin
Not sure if that date is going to be met. I have it on order with them and it was placed on the first day ordering was available. I had also anticipated picking it up at a Sony Store (which ever got it in first).

But what's unusual about Amazon is that there is still no ETA from them and they're only saying they still can't get an accurate fix on the delivery date. What's more interesting is that none of the Sony stores have them and I've been told they're not even in the warehouses. So there seems to be some delay going on.

With the RX10, I picked it up in a Sony store on the exact day of its release. So this is certainly different and I'm not sure if it's due to short supply or not.
Old March 17th, 2014, 07:51 AM   #540
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale McClelland View Post
Here is one of the AX100 that impressed me. When the guy is following the little girl around, the camera never looses focus. (Of course he may have edited out sections where it lost focus. (I saw some GH4 videos where the camera lost focus and had to re-focus several times. That concerned me about the GH4. It was a pre-production model, so maybe the production model and firmware will be better in that regard.)

The shots in the house/apartment in this video are bright and evenly lit. I wonder if he used video lights? Or maybe the AX100 produce can produce bright, clean video indoors?
Dale, somewhere I saw a 4K version of that video with only his little girl. It did not include that opening piece. It was very impressive.

I've noticed the same thing regarding the GH4 videos thus far. It appears that focus misses from time to time. It's also possible this is something that will be tweaked when production units become available.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds