Sony FDR-AX100 - Page 38 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old March 20th, 2014, 10:22 PM   #556
HDV Cinema

Re: Sony FDR-AX100

I created a new YouTube account and uploaded some early movies -- some back to 1986. Try this link and let me know if you find 8 movies.

Steve Mullen - YouTube

If anyone knows a simpler link to "dvcpresents" please tell me. It seems Utube wants you to windup inside all their crap and not go directly to a Channel -- whatever that is.

This is where I'll post -- as soon as I find/buy a Class 10 card. I didn't expect it to come so soon!

Steve
Old March 21st, 2014, 12:39 AM   #557
HDV Cinema

It's a bit bigger than I expected, but very light.
Battery only charges in camera unless you buy an optional charger. I'm now charging.

The manual is a joke. On page 41 through 46of the tiny tiny manual there is a list of dozens and dozens of menu items. But NOT ONE item has a single word of description or explanation.

No DVD with .pdf or software! But, you do get a free copy of Vegas -- woo woo.

So i'm going to switch from my usual Handbook type eBook to a Guide that I can finish faster.

Will include Chapters on AVCHD/XAVC, editing UHD to HD (for Media Composer that can't yet export UHD), and uploading maximum UHD/HD quality to YouTube.

I'm tempted to not bother with describing all the WiF functions. Does one really need to upload 720p MP4 files from your iPhone?

Anything else that needs to be included?
Old March 21st, 2014, 01:32 AM   #558
Inner Circle

Quote:
Battery only charges in camera unless you buy an optional charger. I'm now charging.
Seems like a new trend with Sony, none came with my rx10 either, would be interested to know if it also takes so painfully long to charge the battery, I have a suspicion Sony is deliberately slowing that down so you"d get frustrated and buy their optional charger. My biggest battery from my sony cx730 - which lasts over 4 hours - charges a lot more quickly using the camera then what my rx10 needs to charge that tiny battery that lasts about 40 minutes.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2014, 07:22 AM   #559
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen View Post
... But, you do get a free copy of Vegas -- woo woo.
Steve I assume you are on a Mac so Vegas may not be of much use to you. But it does edit and export XAVC and XAVC-S. I have both Vegas 12 and Edius Pro7 and normally use Edius for my video editing which is able to edit XAVC and XAVC-S but not export in these formats. Both will of course export in other formats at this image size too. Both will run realtime with XAVC but not XAVC-S on my i7 3770. Though all of my 4K editing is from my FDR-AX1 at 60P 150Mbps so editing 30P at 50Mbps may be different.

Battery life at 4K will be interesting to know as the FDR-AX1 will only run for just over an hour on a NP-F970 compared to close to 4 hours use on my NX5U !!! I expect that little V70 may not last too long and a V100 would be more useful for the FDR-AX100.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2014, 07:45 AM   #560
Trustee

UHD Video from Sony FDR-AX100

Here is a video I made using the AX100 for the first time. It was losslessly edited, and you can download the UHD video I uploaded to Vimeo and see the full resolution:

There are no cats, or aimless waving of the camera. And there is subject movement. The shots were in dim light and in outdoors contrasty light. There is some shaky camera in the first scenes due to gusts of wind. OIS was used, but not in Active mode.
Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2014, 07:53 AM   #561
Inner Circle

Noa, the little travel chargers BC TRV and BC TRX work very well charging my V series batteries and also the batteries for my cameras and AS30 Actioncam. The BC TRX also has a USB port for USB charging too. Not sure what batteries the RX10 uses.

Ron Evans
Old March 21st, 2014, 09:39 AM   #562
Inner Circle

The rx10 uses yet another formfactor battery, I get about 45 minutes out of a battery. Only 1 hour out of a NP-F970 on the FDR-AX1? Ouch.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2014, 11:03 AM   #563
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
Steve I assume you are on a Mac so Vegas may not be of much use to you. But it does edit and export XAVC and XAVC-S. I have both Vegas 12 and Edius Pro7 and normally use Edius for my video editing which is able to edit XAVC and XAVC-S but not export in these formats. Both will of course export in other formats at this image size too. Both will run realtime with XAVC but not XAVC-S on my i7 3770. Though all of my 4K editing is from my FDR-AX1 at 60P 150Mbps so editing 30P at 50Mbps may be different.

Ron Evans
Ron, it's interesting, I thought I had read that Edius 7 does export in XAVC-S, but I see no setting for that. Even exporting to just plain vanilla mp4 brings up the red flag.

Mark, nice job on that video.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2014, 11:51 AM   #564
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
Seems like a new trend with Sony, none came with my rx10 either, would be interested to know if it also takes so painfully long to charge the battery, I have a suspicion Sony is deliberately slowing that down so you"d get frustrated and buy their optional charger. My biggest battery from my sony cx730 - which lasts over 4 hours - charges a lot more quickly using the camera then what my rx10 needs to charge that tiny battery that lasts about 40 minutes.
I use the Sony AC-VQV10 dual battery charger, definitely recommend it. It charges two batteries fairly quick, even my large FV100 batteries which are all I use and it gives stats on how much battery life is left and what % charged they are on the small display which is neat.

Quote:
Battery life at 4K will be interesting to know as the FDR-AX1 will only run for just over an hour on a NP-F970 compared to close to 4 hours use on my NX5U !!! I expect that little V70 may not last too long and a V100 would be more useful for the FDR-AX100.
I'm curious as well. My vg900 lasts a long time on the FV100 batteries that I use and that's with it powering much more stuff including the microphone, so I think it'll be ok on the AX100.

Oh yeah just fyi for those that have ordered from Amazon, they just emailed me and listed March 26 as the estimated arrival date for mine, and I had pre-ordered it on January 14.
Peter Siamidis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2014, 12:37 PM   #565
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen View Post
It's a bit bigger than I expected, but very light.

The manual is a joke. On page 41 through 46of the tiny tiny manual there is a list of dozens and dozens of menu items. But NOT ONE item has a single word of description or explanation.

No DVD with .pdf or software! But, you do get a free copy of Vegas -- woo woo.

So i'm going to switch from my usual Handbook type eBook to a Guide that I can finish faster.

Will include Chapters on AVCHD/XAVC, editing UHD to HD (for Media Composer that can't yet export UHD), and uploading maximum UHD/HD quality to YouTube.

I'm tempted to not bother with describing all the WiF functions. Does one really need to upload 720p MP4 files from your iPhone?

Anything else that needs to be included?
I'm curious how import 4k clips in Avid Media Composer

Ugo
Ugo Merlini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2014, 12:44 PM   #566
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Ron, it's interesting, I thought I had read that Edius 7 does export in XAVC-S, but I see no setting for that. Even exporting to just plain vanilla mp4 brings up the red flag.

Mark, nice job on that video.
You can get Edius Pro7 to export to h264/AVC etc just fine just not XAVC or XAVC-S. A 1 min export of XAVC-S to h264/AVC at 50Mbps takes over 14 mins on my i7 3770 running in turbo boost at 4.2Mhz. The same clip in Vegas 12 exporting to XAVC-S takes 8 mins. So encoding 4K takes a lot of CPU power and that has to be done in realtime in the camcorder. For the FDR-AX1 60P at 150Mbps the processor gets hot and needs a fan to keep it cool all using battery power. That is why I am interested in how the FDR-AX100 uses battery. Of course the encoders do not have to be the same at all either.

Ron Evans
Old March 21st, 2014, 04:02 PM   #567
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugo Merlini View Post
I'm curious how import 4k clips in Avid Media Composer

Ugo
Last year I worked with JVC 4K wiih MC -- must now go back and work-out how to do with XAVC.
Old March 21st, 2014, 04:06 PM   #568
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Ron, it's interesting, I thought I had read that Edius 7 does export in XAVC-S.
The question is assuming one can export XAVC can one load it on an SD card? If one can, then one can carry one's AX100 to a location with a 4K tv and play it back.

On an other list someone mentioned that there was a software xavc encoder available.
Old March 21st, 2014, 05:36 PM   #569
Major Player

Quote:
The question is assuming one can export XAVC can one load it on an SD card? If one can, then one can carry one's AX100 to a location with a 4K tv and play it back.
One can. The newer UHD TVs that support 4K content via USB will play back XAVC-S with no problem (again realizing it's just a variation of AVCHD/MP4).

My LG set plays back all the AX100 clips raw from either a USB drive or HDD. Some of the first gen models from Sony, Samsang, LG don't support 4K through USB so you'd have to check the manufacturer.

So one can mosey on down to their favorite electronics boutique loaded with 4K content and view it till their hearts content.
Troy Lamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2014, 05:44 PM   #570
Inner Circle

Quote:
Noa, the little travel chargers BC TRV and BC TRX work very well charging my V series batteries and also the batteries for my cameras and AS30 Actioncam. The BC TRX also has a USB port for USB charging too. Not sure what batteries the RX10 uses.

Ron Evans
Hi Ron -

It's great fun keeping track of which chargers and batteries are which...

The TRV charges FP, FH, and FV series, and there are several dual bay (VQH and VQV) that charge 'em in pairs... since the AX100 uses those, guess they will be kept "in inventory" - at least they can be reused if you own an SR/CX/PJ Handycam!

The TRX doesn't charge handycam batteries, but DOES charge almost every Cybershot battery ever produced (except, wait for it.... the FW series used in the RX10!!). It covers the BX used in many of the current Sony cams, as well a G, N, D, T, R and K... but not the "V", just to clarify.

There's yet another new one (BC-QM1) that charges V, H, P, W (RX10), and M series (but NOT F series, or any of the Cybershot line).

I have this crazy hope that I can cut some of the chargers (and batteries!) out of the inventory, but they keep introducing cameras with a crazy assortment of "power sources"! I'm hoping to at least be able to reduce the size of the "stock", but just had to add those FW's for the RX10!!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds