Sony FDR-AX100 - Page 42 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old March 24th, 2014, 11:19 PM   #616
Regular Crew

Re: Sony FDR-AX100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen View Post
These cards can be very expensive unless bought on-line and may not be available in many locations.
They don't cost too much. I have two Sony 64gb SDXC 94MB/s cards that I bought for $60 each online at Amazon. Like others said you don't need to use cards that fast, but for me it's really nice to be able to quickly transfer the footage off the camera when I'm done with a shoot so I went for the fast memory cards as they are relatively cheap anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Totten View Post
Now, the big question will be: If Sony releases the "pro" sister camera to the AX100 what "extra" will they give you for the $1000+ bucks?

XLR Top handle for sure.
XQD card socket?
100 Mbp/s codec at 4:2:0 8 bit?
"unlocked" HDMI out while shooting 4k?
Histogram?
"NXCAM" badge?

I'd return my pre ordered AX100 and spend the extra $1000 for that.
It wouldn't make me return my incoming AX100 as I have specific needs for that camera (it will replace my NX30), but I do hope they have a larger sensor 4k pro model that could replace my VG900. Either way, good times for good camera gear!
Peter Siamidis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2014, 11:36 PM   #617
Regular Crew

For all of those you better get PXW-Z100 instead. Everything is in.
Meng Li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2014, 11:59 PM   #618
Wrangler

This camera is so impressive. Here's some 4k footage in the first few hours of filming with it it.

Old March 25th, 2014, 01:26 AM   #619
HDV Cinema

[QUOTE=Ken Ross;1838297]Steve, this morning I took a 32gig SDHC card I had been using in my RX10 and reformatted to exFAT. I put it in the AX100 and it recorded in the 4K mode perfectly. No error messages. BTW, I had no trouble getting an SDXC card. Amazon and B&H both had it.

Yes, IF you have a computer one can reformat with it.

And yes, you can get an SDXC card on-line. But, at B&M BB 64GB is $279 and will not likely be available because "their computer has determined that not enough will be sold to justify stocking." Try in small town USA or in Burma.

What one CAN do if needed is good to know, but Sony specifically states SDXC.

And, with only a few days of experience no one can say anything more than "no error messages YET."

Writing 2 streams, one at 60MBps (is this a minimum, average, or maximum -- it's not yet been measured?) and one at 3MBps, I have decades long experience telling me to not underestimate burst rate peak's ability to cause a glitch.

Buying a $2K camera and then taking a chance to save a few bucks strikes me as a real newbie move. Paying about $50 more seems worth it to me. Later when the cheap cards have proven themselves, I'll think about saving money.

Moreover, when reviewing a camera I can't take a chance on MY making an error.
Old March 25th, 2014, 03:47 AM   #620
Major Player

Hi, I have many Memory Stick Pro HG-Duo. In your opinion will Sony FDR-AX100 work fine with them?
thanks
Old March 25th, 2014, 05:38 AM   #621
Trustee

Steve, 64 gig SDXC cards can be had for less than 1/2 the price you quoted from a B&M. Buying from a B&M at that price strikes me as a newbie move.

Frankly I think the paranoia about losing all your pre-formatted cards or the cards suddenly failing, is just that, paranoia. If you're really that concerned, buy only SDXC cards at under $100 and put two in each pocket and two in your socks. No biggie. ;)

Now what happens if you lose your camera on this trip too? :)
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2014, 05:52 AM   #622
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
So far the videos are looking pretty impressive...
"Watching video" is more like looking through a window, even on my old 1080 screens, I'm not seeing any major flaws with the 30p (though I'm expecting fast motion might have some gotchas). I'm seeing much the same quality that the RX10 is delivering for me already, and with any luck the RX10 and RX100M2 will be good for "B" cams alongside the AX100. A lot of imaging power in small packages!

Dave, I know I've said it many times, but there are virtually no motion issues when you watch the AX100's 30p, 4K output on an HDTV or 4K display with frame rate doubling. Almost all good displays (plasma & LED/LCD) have had this capability for the last few years.

Anyone watching in this manner will be very hard pressed to see the difference between this and true 60p. For AX100 owners I can't stress this enough. The difference between using this feature and not with fast motion, is huge. To me, it so minimizes the issue of 30p, while watching on a display that has this feature, that it becomes almost moot.

As for intercutting RX10 and down rez'd AX100 footage, your biggest problem will be the very obviously sharper AX100 footage...even in its down rez'd to HD state. It's impossible not to notice it.

Kind of nice to have these 'problems'. :)

Last edited by Ken Ross; March 25th, 2014 at 09:47 AM.
Old March 25th, 2014, 05:59 AM   #623
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meng Li View Post
Yeah, but much larger, much heavier (over 2x the weight), a 1/2.3" sensor vs the AX100's 1" sensor and a price tag that's over double.

So as with many things in life, each approach has its pluses and minuses.
Old March 25th, 2014, 06:06 AM   #624
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Totten View Post

I guess that Sony is also making it very loud and clear that they DO NOT want you bypassing the 60 Mbp/s compression in any way, shape or form at this price point.
Cliff, as far as I know, you can always choose to output the AX100's 4K to an external recorder. That should bypass the 60 Mbps internal compression depending upon what you record it to. The output limitation is only when you're recording 4K internally.

I know for sure I saw my AX100's live, 4K output, on an 85" Samsung UHD TV. It looked superb.
Old March 25th, 2014, 06:16 AM   #625
Inner Circle

Steve, I use these Patriot cards in my NX30U, NX5U , CX700 for some time with no issues and they are well within the speed needs of the FDR-AX100. Come from my local computer store or if out of stock they get in 2 days. shopRBC.com :: Patriot EP 64GB SDHX Class 10 UHS-I Memory Card

This video has some fast motion to see the motion of 30P for dancer etc.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2014, 06:34 AM   #626
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meng Li View Post
I have the FDR-AX1 a better choice at the moment since the PXW-Z100 is currently only XAVC 10bit 422 and needs the fast and very expensive XQD S cards. 64G card will only last about 10 mins at 60P too. This summer the PXW-Z100 will get a firmware update to record LongGOP which should ease the cost a littlebut now its a very expensive option. Both these camcorders are not great in low light mine is at least 2 stops slower than my NX5U.

Yes they both do have lots of options but miss things that are on the NX5U like smooth gain switching and a nice ramp on the power zoom. At the moment they also do not have data code or time code. Lots of buttons not yet working !!!

I think Sony are rushing to gets lots of 4K products to market.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2014, 09:15 AM   #627
New Boot

Yes the Image is displayed during the recording remotely on my smartphone… (galaxy Note II) …

Bought my AX-100 at Samy's Camera in Culver City, Ca. this past Saturday. Walked into the store and first salesperson said they didn't have it yet. I Spoke to another sales person and asked when they would be receiving it and he said he had one in the back! I Walked out with it and had fun playing with it enroute to Philly while flying on Sunday. Had issues with card at first, and couldn't record 4K, then discovered the exFAT format trick, (based on info in this forum) and walla ! 4k looks gorgeous ! Extra battery and cards arriving via UPS today.

Dull cloudy day here in the Atlantic City area and can't wait for the sun !

BTW Samy's salesperson said he had received six cameras. Three were purchased by a major movie studio on first day and one to an individual before me… He Claims mine was the fifth in LA County.
Rodman Bourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2014, 09:34 AM   #628
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Steve, 64 gig SDXC cards can be had for less than 1/2 the price you quoted from a B&M. Buying from a B&M at that price strikes me as a newbie move.

Now what happens if you lose your camera on this trip too? :)
I agree. I'm going to use the 16gb in my MB Air for Mavericks and Resolve. The 32gb goes to wife's MB Air to giver her more storage.

I've ordered a 64gb sdxc from Amazon for $100.

I can't believe BB wants almost 3x more money.

And yes, I worry about the ax100 going missing on a future 3 week europe trip! I'm a pro at worry. :)

Seriously,on our recent Asia trip it was nice with my wife shooting on her iphone. No computer and no camera to worry about. We could upload every night. A long way from mailing 8mm rolls home from Europe in the `60s.

By the way have you seen the AX1 shootout against an iphone? I pity the Japanese camera companies because most everything they can do can be emulated with software. And, Apple is hiring camera guys and Samsung has plenty in-house.

PS: the interesting thing is i read the AX100 manual multiple times and never noticed that under XAVC it said -- with no warning -- SDXC.
Old March 25th, 2014, 09:43 AM   #629
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
... do have lots of options but miss things ...
I was comparing my V1 manual to what I'm doing for the AX100 and noticed that Sony had simply dropped many menu items. Perhaps removing functions is a trend. /on the other hand, the touchscreen operation is very simple and fast. It is a real pleasure to use.

At NAB there will be a neat device for the AX100 that may be a must have for many. I'm under NDA but will be doing a review of it.
Old March 25th, 2014, 10:02 AM   #630
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodman Bourne View Post
BTW Samy's salesperson said he had received six cameras. Three were purchased by a major movie studio on first day…
Somehow I'm not surprised. Where a high quality image is needed and the risk of total destruction is great, I can see movie studios buying bunches of these. With their budgets, these are throwaway cameras that also happen to shoot wonderful video.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds