Sony FDR-AX100 - Page 63 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old April 6th, 2014, 11:26 AM   #931
New Boot

Re: Sony FDR-AX100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Joe, I don't use Adobe, but it's safe to say you don't want to encode your video at a bitrate less than that produced by the AX100. The camera's bitrate is actually somewhat variable and during complex scenes can peak in the 70Mbps range.
Hi Ken,

I think I will try VBR 60Mbs. The 50 Mbs CBR looked great on my TV.

Joe
Joseph Kitzmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2014, 11:29 AM   #932
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lagerlof View Post
Ken, the camera probably does not have a 2 pass encoding option:-) Joe, Adobe Media Encoder, (which is probably what your using through Premiere), does. So bitrate isn't the only factor. There is an Adobe forum here under "Cross Platform Solutions" ( I believe that's its name) towards the bottom of the forums list page and you might get a better answer there. Also, now that NAB is starting up, info about PPro and 4K XAVC and XAVC-S should start showing up a lot more.

And if you look into the Media Encoder settings, it does have presets for Vimeo, You Tube, etc. Although for 4k release, new presets might have to be created.
Hi Eric,

Thanks for the advice. I do use the presets, but the presets have a very low Mbs bit rate and I wanted to see what everyone else is using.

I did find that the clips play well in Premiere and seem to be easy to work with and did not take as long as a I thought to encode.

Joe
Joseph Kitzmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2014, 11:41 AM   #933
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Kitzmiller View Post
Hi Steve,

I have not tried copying the files back to the card and playing on the AX100 itself. I will have to try this.

Joe
Joe, I don't think you'll have success. I've never been able to copy files back to any AVCHD camera due to their unique file structure. I think that's true of the AX100 too.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2014, 12:19 PM   #934
Trustee

Lens click....

For all the other AX1100 owners. Does your lens "click"?

Mine seems to adjust itself with a very slight "click" on power up. Then,....exactly 7 seconds after power off there is another "click" sound.

This happens on every single power up and shutdown. (including the exact 7 seconds shut down timing every time)

Does yours do it too? (hoping to find an answer soon...my last possible return day is Wednesday)

CT
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2014, 02:09 PM   #935
Major Player

Do you think Cam Caddie Scorpion EX is useful with AX100? I never used handycam and I'd like to clear my ideas.
This is the link: Amazon.com: Cam Caddie Scorpion EX: Electronics
Some users tell it is useful as for handling as for balancing and stabilizing a handycam like AX100 because vibrations reverberate on the handle.
I'd like to use it for to make documentaries in my trips.

Last edited by Adriano Moroni; April 7th, 2014 at 01:59 AM.
Adriano Moroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2014, 02:43 PM   #936
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Totten View Post
Lens click....

For all the other AX1100 owners. Does your lens "click"?

Mine seems to adjust itself with a very slight "click" on power up. Then,....exactly 7 seconds after power off there is another "click" sound.

This happens on every single power up and shutdown. (including the exact 7 seconds shut down timing every time)

Does yours do it too? (hoping to find an answer soon...my last possible return day is Wednesday)

CT
Yup, mine does the same thing Cliff. Yours is fine.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2014, 06:46 PM   #937
Regular Crew

Does anyone have any examples of a 1080 clip that was shot in camera from the AX100, not one that was downrezzed from 4k?
Max Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2014, 07:50 AM   #938
Major Player

Here is one 1080 60p

And 4K
Old April 7th, 2014, 10:04 AM   #939
Major Player

Hi

Thanks for the YouTube clips unfortunately YouTube downgrades everything to 30fps. Also to get a true comparison on YouTube the 1080P clip would need upscaling to 4K then uploaded, this is so we can watch the 4K stream downsized to 1080P which forces the stream to be a much higher bit-rate than at the 1080P setting.

Is it possible to upload these to Vimeo then we can download the originals?

Regards

Phil
Phil Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2014, 01:45 AM   #940
Major Player

Info about Audio-in for an external microphone

When I will get my AX100 I'm thinking I will buy an external microphone. But on the pictures I don't see Audio-in connection (3,5 mm stereo jack). On a picture I see headphone conection only. Where is the connection for an external microphone?

I'd like to buy a Sennheiser MKE 400 microphone but I'm afraid I will waste money because AX100 cuts audio frequency band.
Some info please?
Old April 8th, 2014, 05:52 AM   #941
Regular Crew

page 16 from the manual ...

Hans Stephan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2014, 08:36 AM   #942
New Boot

Hi Everyone,

I've been searching all over for the answer to this question. Right now I'm actually looking more at the CX-900 over the AX-100, mainly because I don't see myself shooting in 4K anytime soon in real world situations, however tempting it may be. In any case, I posted it here because they are pretty much the same camera, with and without 4K.

I have a pair of Sony PJ710's that I use during wedding ceremonies and receptions, where light is usually on the low side. (The PJ710 is basically a CX730/760/790/NX30 in case you didn't know... uses the same 1/2.88" sensor)

My question is how does the low-light image quality of a AX-100/CX-900 compare to the PJ710 line? It would seem as if the 1" sensor on the 100/900 would fair better, but is this necessarily true? I'm taking about shooting in 1080, 24fps, auto shutter.

If anybody has a comparison or some info, please let me know. Thank you!
Kevin Fonash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2014, 10:11 AM   #943
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Stephan View Post
page 16 from the manual ...
I never knew that a microphone jack has to be put into headphone connection. There is a different impedance (ohm). For this reason I have asked if is buying Sennheiser MKE 400 microphone is a waste of money. Does anybody can give me some info please?
Old April 8th, 2014, 10:17 AM   #944
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriano Moroni View Post
I never knew that a microphone jack has to be put into headphone connection. There is a different impedance (ohm). For this reason I have asked if is buying Sennheiser MKE 400 microphone is a waste of money. Does anybody can give me some info please?
It does NOT go in the same place. There are separate connectors for headphone and microphone. They each have their own little door too (and btw, headphone is an output and microphone is an input).
Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2014, 11:10 AM   #945
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rosenzweig View Post
It does NOT go in the same place. There are separate connectors for headphone and microphone. They each have their own little door too (and btw, headphone is an output and microphone is an input).
On the picture of Sony AX100 I don't see the input for the microphone.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ny%20AX100.jpg

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds