Sony FDR-AX100 - Page 64 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old April 8th, 2014, 11:14 AM   #946
Major Player

Re: Sony FDR-AX100

Adriano, i understand your communication difficulties, but for pete's sake, he circled and highlighted the microphone port for you, and regardless, it HAS a microphone port, so what exactly is it that you're still asking about?
Old April 8th, 2014, 12:12 PM   #947
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriano Moroni View Post
I never knew that a microphone jack has to be put into headphone connection. There is a different impedance (ohm). For this reason I have asked if is buying Sennheiser MKE 400 microphone is a waste of money. Does anybody can give me some info please?
Using an external microphone is usually a good idea. However, I've been very disappointed with the MKE400 I bought a few years ago. I'd advise you to listen to it very carefully before parting with any cash. Try the Rode equivalents too. At the very least you need very good wind protection for it. The silly little "basket" Senn sell is of little use, and wind noise sounds particularly unpleasant on this little mic.

The normal recommendations (Rode NTG1, Senn K6+ME66, etc.) are awkward choices too, since they are a bit big for this little cam. and require shock-mounts, phantom power and an XLR interface box (e.g. Beechtek). A Rode NTG2 (battery powered), a short XLR-to-mini-jack cable (which won't be "balanced"), Rycote Softie and a medium-size shock-mount might be workable...?
Old April 8th, 2014, 12:23 PM   #948
Trustee

Quote:
On the picture of Sony AX100 I don't see the input for the microphone.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ny%20AX100.jpg
You know, you can use the internet and search? You look at one picture and one side of the camera only for the mic port? You do not believe three posters, at least one of whom owns the camera, who tell you it has a microphone port? I do not think your problem is language.

Here is link to a Sony web site that has all the views. You will see that the mic port is on the other side, and you can attach the mic without opening the lcd (good).

4K Camcorder with 1" sensor - FDRAX100/B Review - Sony US

Just write again if you need instruction on how to choose the picture on that page, or how to read the spec sheet (if you can't look at the picture), which says the camera has a mic input.
Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2014, 01:52 PM   #949
Regular Crew

@ Adriano Moroni

go here => Sony : FDR-AX100E : FDR-AX100E : Bedienungsanleitungen and scroll to "Italienisch"
and load down the manual in your native language

on (the same page 16 as in the picture from the english manual, linked in post #941)
you can see the under point 8 the >Presa (microfono) (PLUG IN POWER)<

following the blue lines on ..... http://666kb.com/i/cnc6vknvv4w04cz8m.gif
Hans Stephan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2014, 04:23 PM   #950
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Fry View Post
Beechtek). A Rode NTG2 (battery powered), a short XLR-to-mini-jack cable (which won't be "balanced"), Rycote Softie and a medium-size shock-mount might be workable...?
I don't like to use a short short XLR-to-mini-jack cable. I have noticed there is a Rode VideoMic Pro with 3,5mm jack cable. Do you think it is a good choise?
Amazon.com: Rode VideoMic Pro VMP Shotgun Microphone: Electronics
Thanks
Old April 8th, 2014, 10:24 PM   #951
Inner Circle

This Sony mic may suit you as there is no cable needed as it plugs into the camera directly. There are other Sony mics that also plug into the multi interface shoe as well. Stereo Microphone - Handycam Accessories Sony Store - Sony CA

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2014, 11:26 PM   #952
Regular Crew

Quote:
On the picture of Sony AX100 I don't see the input for the microphone.
Wrong side. It's on the other side, up next to the lens, behind a little door.

The headphone jack is the one in the picture (bottom, rear).

--Darin
Old April 9th, 2014, 02:53 AM   #953
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
This Sony mic may suit you as there is no cable needed as it plugs into the camera directly. There are other Sony mics that also plug into the multi interface shoe as well. Stereo Microphone - Handycam Accessories Sony Store - Sony CA
Ron, thanks for your suggestion.
Can that Sony microphone also be used in other non Sony Cameras? Otherwise it is not very good to purchase it.

Last edited by Adriano Moroni; April 9th, 2014 at 03:51 AM.
Adriano Moroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2014, 11:54 AM   #954
Regular Crew

Quote:
Ron, thanks for your suggestion.
Can that Sony microphone also be used in other non Sony Cameras? Otherwise it is not very good to purchase it.
Hi Adriano

here the link to italian manual of the camcorder http://download.sony-europe.com/pub/...X900_HG_IT.pdf

Ugo
Ugo Merlini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2014, 09:37 PM   #955
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Yup, mine does the same thing Cliff. Yours is fine.

OFFICIAL Samsung 4k HU8550 and HU9000 thread - Page 10

Ken,

I saw your post on AVS Forum on the Samsung HU8550. This will prob be the 4K TV I'll be getting if the Vizio's turn out to be subpar. What was your output workflow settings, did you just export to 4K at 60mbps?
Derrick Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2014, 10:28 AM   #956
Trustee

Derrick, I actually put my edited project on the 2014 9000 series, the curved 65" UHD Samsung that BB is now showing.

Using Edius 7, I simply exported as .mp4 @60Mbps.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2014, 04:14 PM   #957
Major Player

Hello, can you tell me how much is good the audio of AX100? I'm thinking to buy Shure VP83 LensHopper microphone. It is the shortest and lightest among good microphones. But I'm afraid it will be too much big for AX100 and I'm afraid it will lose its balance. I need to record in wild enviroments and create more sound pathos (rainforest sounds and indigenous peoples songs). What is your thoughts?
Old April 10th, 2014, 04:54 PM   #958
HDV Cinema

According to Sony docs -- the manual gain control does NOT work when a mic is plugged-in. I would buy a Sony mic built for the AX100.

Sound quality from the built in is quite good -- other than wind noise.
Old April 10th, 2014, 05:10 PM   #959
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Derrick, I actually put my edited project on the 2014 9000 series, the curved 65" UHD Samsung that BB is now showing.

Using Edius 7, I simply exported as .mp4 @60Mbps.

Thanks Ken.
Derrick Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2014, 08:31 AM   #960
Major Player

Quote:
Hello, can you tell me how much is good the audio of AX100? I'm thinking to buy Shure VP83 LensHopper microphone. It is the shortest and lightest among good microphones. But I'm afraid it will be too much big for AX100 and I'm afraid it will lose its balance. I need to record in wild enviroments and create more sound pathos (rainforest sounds and indigenous peoples songs). What is your thoughts?
I recommend that you search the All Things Audio section of the forum for post related to the VP83, Rode VideoMic Pro and competing products. There's loads of good background, and good specific information already there. Search is your friend. There's nothing significantly different about the AX100's audio compared to many other high-spec little cameras. Sound advice for existing Sonys, or the Panasonic TM900 (for example) is almost certainly applicable to the AX100.

With all these little mics, beware of wind noise. If you will be working outside, your best choice is more likely to be the one that you can get the most effective wind muffler for, rather than the one with the very best sound quality in completely still air.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds