Sony FDR-AX100 - Page 72 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old April 21st, 2014, 10:16 PM   #1066
Trustee

Re: Sony FDR-AX100

Mike, there are many examples of AX100 footage that are far superior to what was shown in that review.

Don't be bothered by the purple skies in the review's sample footage, something was rally whacky with their WB setting.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2014, 01:07 AM   #1067
Inner Circle

Is the person in that review not a salesperson for a camerastore in the first place? I don't mean no disrespect but he probably is better at selling camera"s, I noticed something off as well in their sony rx10 review which I didn't experience with my camera, they have the luxury of testing about anything that comes into their store and eventough they seem to know what they are talking about I would not take their videos as a actual reference on how a camera performs, for general info ok but there are more uservideos out there that better show the capabilities of this camera.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2014, 06:40 AM   #1068
Trustee

Here is a video with plenty of sky on a partly cloudy day. It was not post-processed. If you see purple skies, do not get the camera:

I do not sell cameras for a living.
Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2014, 06:50 AM   #1069
Inner Circle

The fine tree branches in the distance can be made to go a little purple by just a small tint difference on the monitor. Is that what you are all seeing ? Like Noa and am more interested in what they say about operation or features than the video for any of their reviews. Don't always agree of course !!! Personally I would discount Youtube videos and rely more on downloaded original files from Vimeo. So many issues get introduced in editing and encoding which may be the case with the tree branches affecting the look of the ski around them. I have just gone through the video again and see colour smearing around those branches that I am sure was not there in the original 4K files !!! This could be the cause of the purple look.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2014, 07:51 AM   #1070
Major Player

The fellas at the camera store put together some pretty good videos, but they are indeed from a store, so it's unlikely they'll really get into the really unsellable parts of the camera. they do at least point out some things they don't like.

And it's always possible those poor looking shots they had it in full auto. i know, not an excuse, but it would make sense seeing as with the default settings, i found the thing tends to meter overexposed
Old April 22nd, 2014, 07:56 AM   #1071
Trustee

The AX100 definitely overexposes in auto mode in daylight. I use AE shift to control it, when I do not use full manual, and it is always at least -.5 ev.
Old April 22nd, 2014, 07:58 AM   #1072
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rosenzweig View Post
The AX100 definitely overexposes in auto mode in daylight. I use AE shift to control it, when I do not use full manual, and it is always at least -.5 ev.
That's true of all the Sony cameras I have !!

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2014, 08:37 AM   #1073
Trustee

+1

Yup, the AX100 does tend to over expose just a hair. AE -..5 EV does the trick.
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2014, 12:19 PM   #1074
Major Player

What shoe adapter have I to buy if I like to use a third party (non Sony)?
I have written to Sony and they have just answered there is not any adtapter shoe.
For esxample if I need to use a light (non Sony) what have I to buy precisely?
Thanks
Old April 22nd, 2014, 12:54 PM   #1075
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriano Moroni View Post
I have written to Sony and they have just answered there is not any adtapter shoe.
Thanks
This is from Wikipedia on the new Sony MIS on the AX100:

"In September 2012, Sony announced a new ISO-based 21+3 pin Multi Interface Shoe for use with their future digital cameras and camcorders of the Alpha, NEX, Handycam, NXCAM and Cyber-shot series. *This quick-lock hotshoe is mechanically and electrically compatible with a standard 2-pin ISO-518 hotshoe,* but electrically compatible with the previous Auto-lock Accessory Shoe with extensions, so that passive adapters ADP-AMA and ADP-MAA allow to use digital-ready iISO flashes on new cameras and some new Multi Interface Shoe equipment on older cameras, while providing compatibility with standard ISO-based equipment as well."

Why do you think you need an adapter?
Old April 22nd, 2014, 01:07 PM   #1076
Trustee

On Alpha cameras, (or new Cybershot like an RX10) you can simply connect anything with a standard shoe mount. No problems.

On the AX100 and other Handycams now, Sony "sunk" the shoe into the body. They then added and left and right "notch" into the shoe blades. This blocks the direct use of a standard show connector. (like a Rode mic or any non- Sony LED light) Unless you want to cut "notches" into your mic shoe connector.

Sony products all if a "gap" in the middle of the left and right shoe blades allowing Sony products to "drop-in" and lock to the AX100 sunken shoe mount.

Yes, it's evil. Yes, you need an adapter to rise the shoe up an inch so you can plug a standard ISO device.

Yeah,...it's shady and sketchy on Sony's part. But I guess Sony accessories are a big business for them and they want to protect it.

CT
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2014, 01:14 PM   #1077
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriano Moroni View Post
Thanks
Here you go! I just purchased one off Ebay last week as I needed it for this weekend.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/913242-REG/sony_adpmac_shoe_adapter.html
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2014, 01:28 PM   #1078
Major Player

I have this light and I will need to use it with AX100:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/312AS-Bi-C...item2a3a222878

Last edited by Adriano Moroni; April 22nd, 2014 at 02:10 PM.
Adriano Moroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2014, 01:38 PM   #1079
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monday Isa View Post
Here you go! I just purchased one off Ebay last week as I needed it for this weekend.

Sony ADP-MAC Multi-Interface Shoe Adapter ADPMAC B&H Photo Video
OK, I will buy it. Thanks!!

PS: out of curiosity: is it the same shoe adapter?
http://www.ebay.it/itm/ADP-MAC-SONY-...item35cde37cb5
Can I buy it too?
Old April 22nd, 2014, 02:09 PM   #1080
Major Player

Is it possible to add a shoulder strap on AX100 with some trick?

I read strange writings on NP-FV100 batteries.
On some sites I see 3700 mAh and on others 3900 mAh. I attach some links but they could be many discordant links:
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-NP-FV100-Rechar...s=Sony+NP-FV100
http://www.ebay.it/itm/Genuine-Sony-NP-FV1...=item1c399e8acb
www.sony.it/electronics/batterie-videocamere/np-fv100
Is a genuine Sony NP-FV100 3700 mAh or 3900 mAh?

Last edited by Adriano Moroni; April 23rd, 2014 at 01:17 AM.
Adriano Moroni is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds