Sony FDR-AX100 - Page 98 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old June 30th, 2014, 11:24 PM   #1456
Major Player

Re: Sony FDR-AX100

I noticed when playing back footage I shot in 120fps mode that there was some sort of pulsing in and out of focus. I was shooting in auto focus and had the steady shot set to normal mode. Installed firmware 2.0 and shot more 120fps and that pulsing is still present. BTW- the instructions say you can check you version number via the menu but my camera didn't show any such menu option. Now I've upgraded, the version option is listed under general settings. During the upgrade process, but before the point of no return, the firmware installer will connect to your camera via USB and will display your current version on the computer screen.

Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2014, 03:38 AM   #1457
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
Any "field reports" on the 2.0 firmware upgrade?

I've been fine with what I presume is 1.0... just wondering if the upgrade is a big or at least noticeable improvement... haven't gotten around to trying to "install" it yet!
Just did the installation of the 2.0 : all went well but it will reset the camera and you will see no sign of life during the entire process. so don't panic (like I did) if you see the lcd going blank, charging light blank. It will get back by itself once the process is done.
can't comment on the new features since I barely know the camera (bought it today as you know).
The update starts with few instructions on the screen of the computer. will check the USB connection (remember to set it as mass storage). Confirm on the LCD of the camera and will ask you to safely remove the usb (camera) from windows, then confirm on the LCD of the camera and it goes all blank while the update continues. Again don't panic, wait and don't disconnect the USB cable.
Let the update finish.

Under the 2.0 there is the firmware version in the menu, and I immediately checked if the multiport saw my vivitar remote and still does. Again under the 2.0 I see more hunting in low light (I mean the AF hunts) : it wasn't hunting that much with the previous firmware , but that could be a good sign because now I see that after hunting a little it gets the focus better. Unfortunately there are no settings for the speed of the AF , so for now I can only compare it with the XA20 (that has several setting for the AF speed) and it looks pretty much the same in terms of "getting it right". In real shooting you don't want the AF to be too fast because it will keep hunting like crazy: it has to be slow(ish) to move smooth from one point to another (new) point. For what I need it should be fine, but don't expect instant acquisition like still cameras do. I dont' see any zoom speed settings for the rocker , but it's there (achievable from a remote with selectable speeds via mutiport): so Sony decided to hide the feature believing that we didn't deserve it or to sell other cameras for more money . Same as usual, nothing new to see here....
You know the story of my remote but I'll repeat it for others who may be interested:
the Vivitar lanc remote works great via multiport and 10pin adapter cable. The vivitar comes with the 2.5mm to 10pin cable. I can confirm that a varizoom vzrock doesn't work, and a libec 3DV doesn't work as well. The good news is that the vivitar gives 8 constant zoom speeds selectable on the remote and while shooting plus a variable speed. so 9 speeds in total.
also gives on/off screen info for the lcd (while the hdmi monitor will still be clean).
a photo button
focus (manual) + and -
camera on and off from the remote
start and standby recording

note: at the slowest setting of the (constant) zoom speed (on the remote) now it gives a beautiful slow zoom , well done and thanks for hiding THAT, Sony. It took a 20bucks vivitar to get that beautiful thing (slow zoom is what I like most zooming, when I have to). So thanks to Vivitar and thanks for nuthing to Sony LOL

Last edited by Anthony Lelli; July 1st, 2014 at 01:24 PM.
Anthony Lelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2014, 04:52 AM   #1458
Major Player

Quote:
Any "field reports" on the 2.0 firmware upgrade?

I've been fine with what I presume is 1.0... just wondering if the upgrade is a big or at least noticeable improvement... haven't gotten around to trying to "install" it yet!
Dave what you think about this?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/913654-REG/sony_adpmaa_multi_interface_shoe_adapter.htmlthen this one on top of it:
Standard Flash Hot Shoe Mount Adapter for Sony Camera A100 A200 A230 A290 A300 | eBay

or something similar with a screw-ring

or this one?
www.ebay.com/itm/181451876737

it should be steady enough to hold a 4inch bar with standard shoe mount, no? .. let me know what you think, please

the other way (also seriously considering the next purchase of the XLR attachment) would be a bracket like this (and keep the multiport free for the xlr thing)
http://shop.dm-accessories.com/colle...products/wam36
and then drill a couple of holes to attach the XLR

the camera deserves our attention (no questions) but WHY we have to suffer like this to get a stupid light and a shotgun like everybody else? well, like you said we have to do what we have to do... LOL so be it.

Last edited by Anthony Lelli; July 1st, 2014 at 01:52 PM.
Old July 1st, 2014, 04:34 PM   #1459
Inner Circle

I can't think of a single Sony camera (at least under the consumer lineup) that has has anything other than the "2 speed" rocker, mirrored on Sony "remote" controls - you have to 'feather" to get slow, but it's there - I was able to get good control handheld with VF, but other configurations would be "harder" to keep the fine control.

I think I have an older variant of that Vivitar under another brand (they just buy the right to label a Chinese generic). Was a pretty compatible one as I recall, may have to get one just to try with the RX/AVM1 combo and see if by ANY chance it works! Probably won't, as the Cybershot MULTI is a bit of a mystery...

Now about that "really big shoe" problem!

The first two adapters you linked are for Alpha (the old proprietary Minolta mount), so NO, definitely not those!

The third one has been referenced on this thread previously... it would "work", but IMO the design needs modification (they are welcome to be invited to this thread to "borrow" my design ASAP!).

For some odd reason, I can't attach photos... neither in Chrome or IE, and just tried a second machine and another subforum....messaged Chris since it looks like there's a wider problem!

When I can again attach pix, I'll upload the whole instruction set, it's easy to make a VERY good adapter setup!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2014, 07:10 PM   #1460
Major Player

Quote:

I think I have an older variant of that Vivitar under another brand (they just buy the right to label a Chinese generic). Was a pretty compatible one as I recall, may have to get one just to try with the RX/AVM1 combo and see if by ANY chance it works! Probably won't, as the Cybershot MULTI is a bit of a mystery...
this is the remote that works with the AX100 and the multi to 10pin cable
Vivitar 8 Button Remote Zoom Control for Camcorder w LANC or A V R Jack | eBay
Vivitar comes with the 2.5mm to 10pin cable, don't know if the others do too (like ebenk for example). The vivitar is 20bucks so ... trust me, after that you'll zoom at the constant speed of your choice.
about the shoe I went for the bracket. I actually like it and will serve me also for future things
I'll attach the bracket to the camera, and then to a macro rail like this one
2 Way Fotomate LP 01 Macro Focusing Rail Slider for Canon Nikon Sony Pentax | eBay

the rail helps balancing the camera on the tripod or on a shoulder mount. Actually I have it already mounted on both and then I attach the camera(s) using the same quick release (manfrotto).
In case don't buy the rail from ebay, but get it at adorama (it's the same, branded flashpoint).Butit gives both 1-4/20 and 3/8 screws, so I like the 3/8 better, plus the movements are tighter and again better
this is the link:
http://www.adorama.com/MCFRSS.html

thanks for your help!

P.S. about the vivitar 8-buttons remote: is fine as it is, but the zoom lever "clicks" and that's annoying. How to fix it:
it's easy. in the back there are tree screws (unpeal the sticker). open the unit and locate the two switches for the zoom. cut a piece of paper to cover both, then apply just 1 piece of gaffer's tape on top of the paper and the whole switches. close and enjoy: no more "clicks"
Old July 1st, 2014, 07:34 PM   #1461
Inner Circle

Now you mention the clicking, I KNOW I had that remote, might still have it somewhere! I'll probably pick one up at the cheap price, couldn't hurt!

That bracket actually looks quite nice for the price - I typically use flash brackets, and the only one I've got that will "fit" is the ONLY one I've ever seen, or I would have recommended it! It's part of my "collection" of mounts/rigs if I need to go handheld, stuff I mostly retired when the "magic eyeball" appeared! Keeping the camera stable is more critical with 4K, so I'm digging in the bone pile!

I'll still post my adapter now I finally got the pix shot, just depends on when DVi will allow it again! It's an easy project, but there are times when I may want that MiShoe "available"!

I posted a few things a while back with no problem, so not sure why it's not working... I'm sure someone at mission control needs to flip a switch or something!
Old July 1st, 2014, 11:20 PM   #1462
Major Player

Quote:
Now you mention the clicking, I KNOW I had that remote, might still have it somewhere! I'll probably pick one up at the cheap price, couldn't hurt!

That bracket actually looks quite nice for the price - I typically use flash brackets, and the only one I've got that will "fit" is the ONLY one I've ever seen, or I would have recommended it! It's part of my "collection" of mounts/rigs if I need to go handheld, stuff I mostly retired when the "magic eyeball" appeared! Keeping the camera stable is more critical with 4K, so I'm digging in the bone pile!

I'll still post my adapter now I finally got the pix shot, just depends on when DVi will allow it again! It's an easy project, but there are times when I may want that MiShoe "available"!

I posted a few things a while back with no problem, so not sure why it's not working... I'm sure someone at mission control needs to flip a switch or something!
of course, please do that. attaching anything to that shoe can be risky if not done correctly: if you have a good option then please post it.
Now I see how 4K REALLY brings up all the defects with my technique. Any mistake is now clearly visible. Holding steady becomes crucial. Stability has been and always will be the first thing to worry about with any video, but in 4K becomes even more important. I shot an interview for fun and the face detection did a good job, but every movement of the camera is visible when you can count the facial hair of the talent (one by one), in 4K. I was handholding in purpose, but usually I mount on a shoulder support.
I didn't see any particular problem panning but the real test will be next week at a soccer game at night, where panning is frequent and people running fast will really put the camera to test. The bitrate should help keeping things togheter when panning but still I haven't decided if I want to shoot 30p 4K or 1080 60p. I'll set shutter priority 1/125 to stay safe. It's a new camera for me, lots of unknown and doubts but ehy...there's gotta be a first time for everything in life. let's hope for the best.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 03:06 AM   #1463
Inner Circle

Yep, all that detail raises a few "issues"... not "unhappy" about it, it just is part of the package! From what I and others have found, keeping that shutter speed down helps give some "natural" motion blur that takes some of the stutter/shimmer/edge off the footage. Higher speeds you get a series of sharp stills though, which may hold some advantage in some shooting scenarios - still have more experimenting to do!

The lower shutter speeds also seem to help with RS/skew - you probably want to experiment with some whip pans before you go live fire, as skew can be pretty bad with "auto".

I ran some initial tests with the XAVCS 60p mode, it's definitely not as stunning as the 4K, but I'd rate it as quite usable - be aware that mode changes will change BOTH recording and playback, so your clips can seemingly "disappear" - don't worry, they are still there when you change modes again (freaked me out at first!).

Haven't heard back from Chris, but I've got the pix and instructions for a "bulletproof" shoe adapter ready when I can upload them!
Old July 2nd, 2014, 03:25 AM   #1464
Inner Circle

Quote:
I ran some initial tests with the XAVCS 60p mode, it's definitely not as stunning as the 4K, but I'd rate it as quite usable
It looks like when 4K came nothing else seems good enough anymore :) Anthony, if you plan to shoot soccergames and follow the players around from a tripd, shooting at 60p will be much better as opposed to 30p in 4K, no matter what the resolution is, 30p is actually a too slow framerate for fast action sports, you definitely would have to shoot at 60i or p (or 50i -p when you live in pal land)
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2014, 07:51 AM   #1465
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
It looks like when 4K came nothing else seems good enough anymore :) Anthony, if you plan to shoot soccergames and follow the players around from a tripd, shooting at 60p will be much better as opposed to 30p in 4K, no matter what the resolution is, 30p is actually a too slow framerate for fast action sports, you definitely would have to shoot at 60i or p (or 50i -p when you live in pal land)
thanks noa,
I shoot from the press box, on tripod, so it's from above and from a distance (100-200feet)
here's what I usually do depending on the camera: if it's daylight then no problem (with any camera) so let's skip that. The challenge comes at night under the lights of the stadium.and depending on the stadium they can be uneven, poor or bright enough to let a decent shutter speed compensate the gain.
Again I'm only considering panning where I know that the shutter can't go below 1/100 but the bitrate makes a huge difference, and more than the framerate (30p or 60p do look almost the same for this particular shoot). As always with any cmos if you have to pan don't overdo with the zoom (closer you get and more problems you get panning, and that's obvious)

camera EX1r : 30p , 1/100 . very good (35mbps)
camera ea50 : the zoom is not good enough so I'll skip it (but the panning was good enough to be honest)
XA10 : 30p , 1/100 or 1/250 : good panning (28mbps) . 1/250 gets better everything but will be of course darker.
XA20 : 60p , 1/100 or 1/250 : very good panning but only on MP4 35mbps , avchd @28mbps are not so good, same settings and the XA10 was slightly better)

now it comes the AX100 at that unbelievable resolution: so who knows.. I'll try 4K the first half , then 1080 the second half. 1/125 should help and the higher bitrate should help too (on paper). I'm planning to try 1/180 as well.

I'll report back the results. For now any advice on the camera will be VERY welcome :)

P.S. the stills guys (who shoot from the field) all use shutter priority of 1/500 minimum , ASA 3200 or 6400 with the new cameras so for them it will be 2.8 all the time. Note the 1/500 minimum!
Old July 2nd, 2014, 08:04 AM   #1466
Inner Circle

The ax100 resolution won't help in getting smooth pans, a high framerate does, 25 or 30p will give you a stuttery motion if you pan too fast, it won't be visible on the players you follow but you will notice it in the background.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 08:18 AM   #1467
Major Player

and that Noa is the key to this whole thing for single player sports like figureskating and even american style football. The subjects are held full frame in the centre of the image. What goes on in the background is never noticed. stutters arn't observable because the background is motion blurred anyway. Soccer is probably different however due to the prevelant extremely wide shots encompassing every one on the field
Bruce Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2014, 08:56 AM   #1468
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Dempsey View Post
and that Noa is the key to this whole thing for single player sports like figureskating and even american style football. The subjects are held full frame in the centre of the image. What goes on in the background is never noticed. stutters arn't observable because the background is motion blurred anyway. Soccer is probably different however due to the prevelant extremely wide shots encompassing every one on the field
Hi Bruce,
I'm going to shoot AX100 waiting for the FZ1000

Noa
I'm running tests right now (it's sunny daylight here in NYC, so the tests are not really significant for what I need)

And I'm getting even more confused LOL

out of curiosity I'm keeping the XA20 as a reference because that's the camera that did all the work so far and I know the results)

108060p MP4 @35mbps can't even get close to the same settings of the AX100 . yeah, they are THAT better. As for panning they are the same

BUT

4K is on another planet , 30p and you're right, panning will be a serious challenge.

but again the resolution is IMPRESSIVE. like HD vs SD pretty much

WOW . got the camera yesterday and I didn't expect THAT KIND of beauty.

so here where I am right now: I'm willing to change my shooting style to accommodate the AX100 in 4K . I'll do anything to keep the 4K , anything. Even tie the handles of the tripod if I have to. LOL
Old July 2nd, 2014, 09:20 AM   #1469
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Dempsey View Post
and that Noa is the key to this whole thing for single player sports like figureskating and even american style football.
That's the key when you shoot feature films where you either pan slowly or follow a subject to take the attention away from the background but I don't know of any multiplayer sport, like soccer, where they take closeups from one player and follow him constantly around. I don't know if you ever have shot soccergames, I did and 25p is useless, you get that strobing stuttering kind of effect that is very distracting, something that is no issue if you shoot 50i or 50p. I don't know if you watch the current worldseries soccer games in Brazil, those are very smooth images which can't be achieved in 25p and I"m sure they use high framerate camera's to show very slomo replays as those are very smooth as well, just try to slow down 25p by 50%, that looks like a slideshow, that's the only thing I don't like about shooting in 4K now and that's that it does not have 50P as a option. You can always shoot at 1080p 50p which will be better then 4K at 25p with the ax100 for fast moving sports, something I would do if I had to cover such an event.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 09:20 AM   #1470
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Lelli View Post
Hi Bruce,
I'm going to shoot AX100 waiting for the FZ1000
LOL
Exciting times Anthony
Bruce Dempsey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds