Sony FDR-AX100 - Page 78 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old May 5th, 2014, 06:00 PM   #1156
Inner Circle

Re: Sony FDR-AX100

@Adriano -

I realize you have to have a smaller diameter portion of the clamping "knob" so it doesn't hit the sides of the cavity where the MiS is recessed - there was one cheaper option, but it looked to be the same diameter, and probably would hit the sides... but THIS one might work, even if you had to add a couple washers:

Trio Three Hot Cold Shoe Flash Light Sound Bracket Stand with 1 4 Mount Adapter | eBay

I saw the upper part of this assembly (3 heads, and 1/4" mount) for $7.99 in other listings... leading to the option of taking one of the many listings for something similar to this:

Pro 1 4" Mount Adapter for Tripod Screw to Flash Hot Shoe Dual Cold Foot Camera | eBay

ADD one of the many listings similar to THIS:

Photo Cold Shoe Flash Mount Adapter Hot Shoe 1 4 Thread Screw Bracket DG | eBay

As long as you have access to a hardware store with various washers (use as many as needed, super glue them together and to the knob) to make sure the knurled knob will clear the body, and some way to cut the needed notches, it's cake to make a suitable adapter for quite cheap!

One must be a bit creative when on a budget, but you may want to just get the $30 one I posted first... I am not sure you've got the creative chops to "DIY", given some of the basic questions you've asked along the way... but for others, I hope the suggestions above will be useful!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2014, 07:30 PM   #1157
Major Player

I thought when all these Multi-Interface Shoe equipped Sonys came out that the company had begun to play nice with their customers by giving them choices not limited to their narrow and overpriced offerings. Even if this meant long-time users like myself had to buy one more piece of equipment like the MIS-to-AIS adapter so all the old accessories could be used on the new devices.

Then came this trick of making the hotshoe bay small enough so that most (or all?) 3rd party standard coldshoe devices cannot fit into.

I can't blame Sony newbies like Adriano for being quite lost at this shoe mount thing.
Wacharapong Chiowanich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2014, 10:05 PM   #1158
Inner Circle

It may have something to do with not shorting the contacts at the front of the shoe? A metal adapter might potentially do that...

Sony gives new features, but sometimes blocks others... that seems to be part of the price of "cutting edge" technology. Sometimes it's backwards compatible, sometimes not, sometimes it works differently from expectation...

Yeah, it's frustrating sometimes, but I'd rather have the cool new toys, even with the quirks!
Old May 6th, 2014, 03:50 PM   #1159
Inner Circle

The new shoe location also means there is a smooth top to the camcorder. The first one Adriano got will lift the shoe above the body so that devices that need that clearance will work. Newer Mis device do not need this clearance. A combination of the one Adriano has and a dumb converter will work I think with no modification though of course there will be two little shoes to carry around. Since the dumb hot shoe doesn't use any of the electrical connection it will not matter. I expect that just like the NX30U compared to the PJ760 the Pro version of the AX100 will have a normal shoe as well as the Mis connection !!!

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2014, 04:32 PM   #1160
Inner Circle

That's another way to configure it, use the shoe adapter he has (MiS to AiS), and just add an AiS to dumb cold shoe adapter on top of it!
Old May 7th, 2014, 06:20 AM   #1161
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Noa, the timing for the AX100 from full wide to full telephoto is as follows from my own testing:

* Camera in standby- approximately 3 seconds
* Camera recording- just under 5 seconds
Thx for testing, is the zoomspeed constant or variable? If variable, can you change zoom speed while zooming?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 10:12 AM   #1162
Major Player

it's a two speed rocker, so you can press it lightly for slow, and a little harder for fast, but it's not truly variable
Old May 8th, 2014, 06:21 AM   #1163
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
It took just a couple searches to find this, which states AX100 compatibility:

Sony]Sony Multi Interface Shoe to Universal Cold Shoe Adapter | eBay Multi Interface Shoe to Universal Cold Shoe Adapter
It is a very interesting adapter, it is made ​​entirely with metal but metal adapter might potentially shorting the contact. Then ... in your opinion why does it not have a raised tab (on back) to secure a lamp? All adapters have it except this adaptor.

Last edited by Adriano Moroni; May 8th, 2014 at 08:22 AM.
Adriano Moroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 01:53 PM   #1164
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriano Moroni View Post
It is a very interesting adapter, it is made ​​entirely with metal but metal adapter might potentially shorting the contact. Then ... in your opinion why does it not have a raised tab (on back) to secure a lamp? All adapters have it except this adaptor.
I ordered one because according to the write up: "The shoe base is designed and shaped to avoid all the electronic connections on the camera." We shall see... I like the sturdy construction and low profile.

According to a link on the ebay page it is manufactured by DM-Accessories which seems very reputable. http://shop.dm-accessories.com/products/mis-shoe
Marc Salvatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 03:23 PM   #1165
Inner Circle

It appears that the base is machined so that it will only go so far into the shoe - note the tiny tab sticking up at the "back" of the adapter base - if you are making your own, you'd probably want to make sure nothing metal gets too far to the "front" of the shoe where the active contacts are located.

As for the reason that there are only "side" rails on the cold shoe, this is a VERY common design to allow you to put things on and off more quickly... but you also must be careful as the screw clamp mechanism on the accessory will be the ONLY thing keeping it from sliding off! Old school cold shoes usually had three sides, but if you look around, you'll see that MANY cold shoe adapters have only two sides...
Old May 10th, 2014, 10:03 PM   #1166
Major Player

Camera finally arrived! My first Sony. Did some testing yesterday and it seemed to me that there are about 4 different zoom speeds while recording. It is hard to control which speed you get though because the rocker switch is small and has very little throw to it. Definitely stepped, not variable.

In high speed 120fps mode sound is recorded, data rate is 50Mbps, resolution is 720x1280, zoom works during recording, you can manually adjust the shutter, iris or gain while recording. Didn't test focus, but would expect you can manually adjust the focus and that the auto focus works while recording also. This is very good, compared to my other high speeds. Turning off and on the camera will cause it to exit high speed mode, which then requires about 3 screen touches to get it back. It reverts to 1920x1080 HD mode on a power cycle.

Need to find out what options there are for a remote Lanc control and whether I can get something that gives a true variable zoom. Anybody try the wide angle adapter yet?

Camera build quality is nice, especially for a Sony "consumer" grade camera. Didn't notice any creaking plastic sounds when handling it. Sucked a mixture of 4K and high speed clips off the memory card into Vegas on my laptop and as expected, it edits just fine, though I had to reduce quality settings in my preview window so it didn't play back choppy. I feel I got a good value with the price of this camera. Thanks Sony!

Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2014, 10:21 PM   #1167
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Watson View Post
Anybody try the wide angle adapter yet?
I tried the Zunow WCX-08 but ended up returning it because it distorted the edges too much for my liking. I posted before/after pics in this post on a different thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr...ml#post1839759

I'd love it if someone has hands on experience with a quality wide angle converter that they could recommend for this camera. It's so hard to get any good info on wide angle converters which is frustrating, especially since that's probably my main beef with this camera, it isn't quite wide enough.
Peter Siamidis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2014, 11:35 PM   #1168
Regular Crew

Quote:
Need to find out what options there are for a remote Lanc control and whether I can get something that gives a true variable zoom.
Please post any info you find on LANC control.
Derek McCabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2014, 06:52 AM   #1169
Inner Circle

Sony make a whole range of tripods with remotes and also separate remote controllers.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2014, 07:11 AM   #1170
Major Player

Quote:
it seemed to me that there are about 4 different zoom speeds while recording.
That's interesting, i only discerned two distinct speeds. have you been able to confirm your findings or is is more of just a feeling?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds