Sony FDR-AX100 - Page 80 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old May 12th, 2014, 11:22 AM   #1186
Major Player

Re: Sony FDR-AX100

It's supposed to be delivered today. I'll report back.
Marc Salvatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2014, 06:00 PM   #1187
Major Player

Yippee!

I got mine yesterday! Must be the first "E" model in Australia I think, as I ordered from the 1st website that put it up.
Ordered on Thursday, delivered from Hong Kong Monday morning!

Sony Australia still have "coming soon" on their website, and are talking late June "they may have some news". Hopeless I think!

Haven't shot much yet as I spent all morning charging the battery and last night actually read through the manual.

Seems a great little camera.

Cheers,

Vaughan
Vaughan Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2014, 01:47 AM   #1188
Major Player

Re: Sony FDR-AX100 flickering problems

Hello,
I have got AX100 two days ago and I'd like to ask some questions because I'm disappointed by this camera.
If I shot in 4K then I edit those clips with Edius 7.30 and I export in HD (as mpeg2 as AVCHD or in other formats) I see flickering on every editated video. (I have PAL system).
I view videos with WD Western Digital TV player or a Sony Player and a Sony 43" full HD TV.
Flickering shows above all when I shot grassy carpets, blade of grass, foliage of the trees.
On the Edius monitor the clips look fine, as well on the connected to NX Canopus card small TV.
It could seem like a bad configuration of Edius but it is not so.
Does anyone have these problems?

If I shot in HD thenI edit in HD and export in HD I don't have these problems.
I am very disappointed from AX100 and if I will get these problems the next days, I will sell it.
Old May 13th, 2014, 02:41 AM   #1189
Major Player

I think this sensor is actually closer to 1/2 inch, not 1" as I've seen on the Sony web-site.

In the camera's manual, the sensor specs describe the sensor as: 1.0-type (13.2 mm x 8.8 mm) back-illuminated Exmor R CMOS sensor. Even if you use the diagonal measurement, it only comes out to around 15.8mm.

Mark

Update --- Well, Google's my friend: So I found out it's a 1" TYPE sensor, not to be taken as actual physical dimensions.
Attached Thumbnails
Sony FDR-AX100-fdr-ax100-sensor-spec.png   Sony FDR-AX100-fdr-ax100-sony-info.png  

Last edited by Mark Watson; May 13th, 2014 at 03:14 AM.
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2014, 03:30 AM   #1190
Regular Crew

> If I shot in 4K then I edit those clips with Edius 7.30 and I export in HD (as mpeg2 as AVCHD or in other formats) I see flickering on every editated video.

you shoudl open a HD Project ... (or Change your UHD roject to HD)

Import your UHD file .... resize it over layouter
wiith resampling-setting "Lanczos 3 " and now make your Export ....(XAVC-S is available in Edius 7.30)

resampling-setting "Lanczos 3 " is only available over Layouter tool
resampling-setting "Lanczos 3 " is not available by simple export-
Hans Stephan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2014, 06:49 AM   #1191
New Boot

I'm experiencing a shutter roll at the end of many clips (almost like i'm panning the camera to the ground).. Post editing fixes it.. Anyone else experiencing this?
Rodman Bourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2014, 08:19 AM   #1192
Trustee

Re: Sony FDR-AX100 flickering problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriano Moroni View Post
Hello,
I have got AX100 two days ago and I'd like to ask some questions because I'm disappointed by this camera.
If I shot in 4K then I edit those clips with Edius 7.30 and I export in HD (as mpeg2 as AVCHD or in other formats) I see flickering on every editated video. (I have PAL system).
I view videos with WD Western Digital TV player or a Sony Player and a Sony 43" full HD TV.
Flickering shows above all when I shot grassy carpets, blade of grass, foliage of the trees.
On the Edius monitor the clips look fine, as well on the connected to NX Canopus card small TV.
It could seem like a bad configuration of Edius but it is not so.
Does anyone have these problems?

If I shot in HD thenI edit in HD and export in HD I don't have these problems.
I am very disappointed from AX100 and if I will get these problems the next days, I will sell it.
I too have the AX100 and use Edius 7.3 and have no issues whatsoever. However I edit with 4K clips and export to 4K. With that said, I've tried exporting to HD and have not seen the issues you have.

Why don't you try playing the clips directly from the camera to your HDTV. The camera will do the down-rez automatically. You should see no issues. I've done this on several HDTVs and they look spectacular.

If you see no problems this way (and I can't imagine you would as I've never seen this reported), then you know the issue is with your editing setup.

Don't be so quick to blame the camera. Almost every complaint I've seen regarding this camera as been traced back to "OE", Operator Error.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2014, 08:22 AM   #1193
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodman Bourne View Post
I'm experiencing a shutter roll at the end of many clips (almost like i'm panning the camera to the ground).. Post editing fixes it.. Anyone else experiencing this?
I've never seen that Rodman, but I do know that after you hit the stop button, the camera records for a fraction of a second. So some of my shots show rapid movement at the very end of the clip as I was too quick to begin moving the camera to my side thinking the recording had stopped.

I'm not sure if that's what you're addressing, but it sounds like it. The fix is easy, hold the camera at your intended scene for a fraction of a second longer AFTER you hit the stop button.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2014, 10:38 AM   #1194
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Stephan View Post
> If I shot in 4K then I edit those clips with Edius 7.30 and I export in HD (as mpeg2 as AVCHD or in other formats) I see flickering on every editated video.

you shoudl open a HD Project ... (or Change your UHD roject to HD)

Import your UHD file .... resize it over layouter
wiith resampling-setting "Lanczos 3 " and now make your Export ....(XAVC-S is available in Edius 7.30)

resampling-setting "Lanczos 3 " is only available over Layouter tool
resampling-setting "Lanczos 3 " is not available by simple export-
Unfortunately my Edius settings are good. I see good video if I use the preview TV connected to NX card. I get problems when I put the video on a flash cmemory and see it with WD Western Digital TV or a Sony player. Both give me flickering problems. I use them with a Sony Full HD TV. One might think that the problem is of Sony TV, but my TV works perfectly, It have always given me very good video.
This is mystery. ;)

Ken Ross,
Today I cannot do this testnow because I have just formatted the SD and it is raining. As soon as possibile I will connect directly my AX100 to my HDTV.
Old May 13th, 2014, 12:29 PM   #1195
Inner Circle

@Mark -

You'll find ALL sensor measurements are "funky", as they are describing (IIRC) the image circle, NOT the physical sensor dimensions... so in the end it's all "relative" anyway, a "1/3" class sensor isn't that either!

@Adriano -

If you can plug the camera direct into the TV and it's fine, then your edit settings are NOT "good". I've just spent a good week dialing in a new computer to edit 4K (hopefully, the camera is coming), and I will say that when you are on the bleeding edge, sometimes things don't work exactly as expected!! I still have a couple "bugs" that will require someone to "fix" the code, and I just work around them for now. I fully expect to have a few more "bumps" as I actually start editing and working with 4K...

I don't try to blame anyone or accuse any one piece of being defective... when combined into a SYSTEM, it may take time, PATIENCE, and some effort to make everything work together for good results. If so many others are getting good results with the AX100, and you're not... perhaps you should re-evaluate and reconsider where the problem is... it's not likely the camera.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2014, 04:19 PM   #1196
Major Player

MIS-SHOE (DM-Accessories) ***Report***

I received the adapter today and installed it as the instructions state: Thin beveled edge towards front of the camera.

Unfortunately a slight push of the adapter from front to back even after tightening the knob pops it out of the shoe. I've tried it multiple times. I will check with the manufacturer but at this point I cannot recommend this device at this time.

Update—The ebay seller suggested I may have a bad part so I will report back what I find out.

Update #2— The manufacturer is sending me another part to try. They also gave me some tips which do help the part fit tighter. I'll report back soon as it's overall a well made piece of gear and I hope to get it working.

Last edited by Marc Salvatore; May 13th, 2014 at 09:11 PM.
Marc Salvatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2014, 07:46 PM   #1197
Inner Circle

Adriano. Your problem is almost certainly aliasing. If you simply re-size a higher resolution image down to a lower resolution image without some processing to eliminate aliasing (such as adding a slight blur to the high resolution image before down scaling or a proper anti-aliase process) you will get a lot of excessively sharp and jagged edges, especially fine details and textures that will flicker and not look good. It's not the camera, it is your workflow.
Old May 13th, 2014, 11:28 PM   #1198
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Watson View Post
I think this sensor is actually closer to 1/2 inch, not 1" as I've seen on the Sony web-site.

In the camera's manual, the sensor specs describe the sensor as: 1.0-type (13.2 mm x 8.8 mm) back-illuminated Exmor R CMOS sensor. Even if you use the diagonal measurement, it only comes out to around 15.8mm.

Mark

Update --- Well, Google's my friend: So I found out it's a 1" TYPE sensor, not to be taken as actual physical dimensions.
I brought that up back on page 4. They should just forget TYPE sensors and stick with true mm x mm dimensions.
Matt Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2014, 12:37 AM   #1199
Major Player

Thanks Matt... well it was bound to happen with a meandering thread that is now 80 pages long. I probably read your post back in January and just didn't recall it when I came upon the camera specs sheet. I can understand the reason they say 1" type sensor, but now Dave is pointing out that my one-third sensor cameras are actually even smaller than I thought!!

Now a question about testing camera sensitivity---
If I wanted to do a comparison of my video cameras to see how they stack up in the area of light sensitivity, how would you recommend I go about that?
I would think I'd want to keep things simple by having the same frame rate, say 30fps, on each camera and also the same shutter speed. But what else? Set the same gain? Match the cameras so the all look the same amount of brightness and then compare the amount of noise? Just curious if anyone has an easy method for this.

Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2014, 01:07 AM   #1200
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Watson View Post

Mark

It's only 16 mm but correct name shematic
http://www.dpreview.com/glossary/cam...m/sensor-sizes

Last edited by Werner Graf; May 14th, 2014 at 01:10 AM. Reason: Link
Werner Graf is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds