Sony FDR-AX100 - Page 91 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old June 2nd, 2014, 06:19 PM   #1351
Inner Circle

Re: Sony FDR-AX100

@Adriano -

If the specs on that light are right, it's pretty hefty... a lot to ask to mount that much weight on many camera chassis.

Supposedly I'll have my DIY shoe adapter parts in the mail today, will test and post results - I bought enough to make a couple single shoes, and a triple head... I noticed that it appears there is a ledge in the front of the MiShoe that might prevent anything from going too far and into the contacts... maybe... will find out as the project progresses!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2014, 08:09 PM   #1352
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriano Moroni View Post
Yes, much too heavy, and wide too which spreads the weight. Again, the MIS-SHOE I received is exactly right (if used properly), though I did read of someone receiving a defective one. It should cinch tight with no movement.
Keith Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2014, 12:07 AM   #1353
Inner Circle

Got my "parts" (the single shoes are still somewhere in the mail...) starting to take a closer look at the MiShoe - you DO NOT want to put too much weight on any adapter... not that the shoe is weak or anything, in fact it looks quite beefy! But it looks like you only get support on the sides (not a big deal, the "extension" shoes I got only grip the two sides of the shoe, and seem to be plenty tight and solid).

Basically unless you alter the shoe extensively to avoid the contacts and slide past the blocking keys built into the shoe to prevent contact with the contacts, you are really only supported by the side tabs - "normal" (non MiS) hot shoes will allow a cold "foot" to slide in further, and the front edge would support the foot and clamp.

Looking at the cap that comes with the RX's, you can clearly see that the receiver is "keyed" to prevent a cold shoe from sliding too far into the socket and hitting the multi-contacts. Sony LOVES to "key" things... batteries, shoes, plugs and jacks... just to keep things interesting...

Obviously it would not be good to have contacts getting shorted, but I'm considering whether there's enough clearance to "key" the foot and thin the area that would potentially go over the contacts, so as to get a better (larger) contact and clamping area... mechanically this would be superior, if electrical disaster can be avoided! At a minimum, I think removing material from the FRONT side of the shoe will improve the overall clamping, and still not intrude into the electrical contacts... probably the "easy" approach!

I picked up a couple cold shoe "feet", so I guess the experimentation will commence! Less than $25 for parts for 2 single shoes and one triple, cheap "entertainment" no matter how it turns out!
Old June 3rd, 2014, 02:01 AM   #1354
Inner Circle

Update - the keying and thinning of the front edge works very nicely, and clears the contacts, making the shoe a much more secure proposition, holds a CN1000 light and shotgun on two of the three "extended" shoes, looks wicked and still is pretty well balanced.

Still need to Loctite or otherwise make the connection between the foot and the triple head more secure, but that's easy enough. All in all, a "proper" shoe adapter isn't that big a hurdle, starting with the right parts! Plus it'll work for a better fit with the RX10 too.

Not bad for a few bucks in parts and a little time with a Dremel!
Old June 3rd, 2014, 07:46 AM   #1355
Trustee

I can see it now, "The Dave Blackhurst Cold Shoe Secure Kit"...only $29.95 for a limited time only! ;)
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2014, 10:14 AM   #1356
Inner Circle

I thought of going your route for my CX900 Dave, but ordered the adapters instead. I don't mind a bit of added height for the light, that's a good thing so I'm trying to see the bright side. The adapters and shoe do seem very sturdy.

I'm going back and forth with my decision on my next cam, another CX900 or an AX100, really going round and round about it. I just don't want the headaches of editing the 4k footage with three other cameras, but I want the benefits.
Old June 3rd, 2014, 05:07 PM   #1357
Inner Circle

Nah, I'll just post pictures later, my "mods" are functional, not "beautiful" - we're talking cutoff wheels on a dremel functional... not nicely milled or anything! If I post the "engineering specs" online, they should be available from a Chinese mfr within a week or two!

All that mattered to me was A) cheap and B) works well! "Pretty" not too important! But for under $25 for 3 complete cold shoe adapters (one a triple header no less!), and a little shop time... yeah, works for me, and when I was how sturdy the connection was, made me smile!

@Jeff -
I'm having the debate about a second AX100 myself... I like to have a backup for each camera, but am finding the RX's sort of cover most ground, and the AX100 is sort of a "special purpose" tool... trying to decide if the PJ760 "special purpose" outweighs the AX... Plus don't want to invest TOO heavily in 4K while it's clearly evolving, the AX100 was to get my feet wet, not go 100% 4K, or at least that was my thinking! I'd upgrade the RX10 and RX100 in a heartbeat if they were updated to do 4K...
Old June 6th, 2014, 11:57 PM   #1358
Major Player

I've been very happy with the Mis-Shoe by DM-Accessories. The latest version is even tighter. The earlier version I reviewed was not as secure though perfectly usable.

DM-Accessories ? MIS-SHOE - Universal shoe mount for Sony cameras with MIS mount
Marc Salvatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2014, 08:44 AM   #1359
Inner Circle

Marc, thanks for sharing. I am ordering the adapter today. Great find. Cheaper than buying two adapters and I like that it's all metal.
Old June 7th, 2014, 12:49 PM   #1360
Major Player

Sure thing Jeff. I made a review which I'll post again below. The manufacturer actually did some tweaking on the design which solved the submarine issue I talk about in the video and sent me a third unit. You can still pop it off if you apply enough pressure but I find it very tight for my purposes.

Marc Salvatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2014, 04:04 PM   #1361
Inner Circle

The 4K adventure continues...

Thought I'd post a bit of an update... since Winders 7 would only make 16Gb available, and I found another 16G for cheap, I decided to upgrade to Win 8... with all the issues... and despite how much I HATE W8...

But, I can report that clips from the AX100 now play perfectly smooth, and look significantly better than I was able to achieve with W7. Not sure if it's the extra RAM now available or the refinements in the OS, or a little of both, but it's worth reporting that an OS upgrade may need to be in the upgrade budget for those considering it!

Vegas is currently broken, and I have activation issues I have to get cleared up with the seller I got the W8 from... IIRC, Vegas has to be reinstalled to work with W8, and looks like I have some problems to overcome before the OS is fully functional... but it was nice to see that 4K can be smooth(er)!

It also bears noting that a few "critiques" of the AX100 were based on trying to play footage on aging hardware/software. Putting old bald tires and cheap gas on a hot rod and then blaming the car for lack of traction and giddyup probably isn't the correct answer.
Old June 7th, 2014, 04:14 PM   #1362
Inner Circle

Marc -

By any chance did they add a "tongue" that goes up into/over the area with the contacts? I was debating if that was workable, and thinned out that section of my DIY foot successfully so that it cleared the contacts, it makes for probably 30%+ more contact/clamp area, and my homebrew adapter is almost impossible to move... it's quite tight!

I still have to post some pics of my "foot" mods, but I'm happy with the results. I know not everyone wants to "experiment" or has tools available... so it's good someone is working on a easily available solution! If the manufacturer is wondering, have them check this thread for my adventures, it's easy to incorporate my design mods to their design!
Old June 8th, 2014, 05:29 AM   #1363
Inner Circle

There maybe some differences with WIN 8. I have just got a Dell 14" New Insperon with WIN 8.1. It will play files from my AX1, 150Mbps 60P in PlayMemories with correct speed sound but with some frame dropping/ video speed. Neither my 6 Core AMD or my i7 3770K on my main editors will do this !!! The Dell is a dual core i7 with 8G RAM the editors , Win 7 Home Premium with 16G RAM. Vegas 12 will not play on main PC unless preview is in draft 1/4 !!!

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2014, 09:11 AM   #1364
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
but it's worth reporting that an OS upgrade may need to be in the upgrade budget for those considering it!
I am a firm believer in using the latest OS. I was using Win 7 for about a year before it was released, and I used Win 8 for months before it was released, and I never had issues. Really. Still not sure what there is to dislike, with latest updates I boot right up to desktop, works and feels just like Win 7.

Because of your post Dave, I am reminded to reformat my HD and reinstall Windows prior to my AX100's arrival. I'm not happy with the performance of my 3930K lately anyway. Not at all happy with SSDs either. Nice in some ways but so overrated.

I found a used AX100 and used batteries at B&H and it made the decision to go 4K a little easier. Loving the CX900, aside from a few minor nitpicks. It's so good to be back with Sony. My first set of matching cams consisted of a Sony PD150, Sony VX2100 and a VX2000. While I'm on the fence about keeping the RX10, at least it matches my CX900 and my soon to arrive AX100, so this is very nostalgic in a way.
Old June 8th, 2014, 09:22 AM   #1365
Inner Circle

Quote:
Not at all happy with SSDs either. Nice in some ways but so overrated.
Agreed, had a WD raptor before my current SSD's as OS disc and honestly I don't notice any big differences and I did test my SSD for speed and they run as expected. I still prefer to have hugh HD's and they fill up very quickly. Price per GB is still very much in favor of the regular HD's and they are more then reliable enough if set up in the right way.

How is you CX900 working out for you Jeff? I wonder if the only difference between that camera and the ax100 is the fact that it can't do 4K?

Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds