Sony FDR-AX100 - Page 104 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old July 4th, 2014, 07:24 PM   #1546
Inner Circle

Re: Sony FDR-AX100

The AX1 runs 55Mins for each card. Its the Z100 that runs for 12 mins.which is why I got the AX1 not the Z100. I have 3 64G cards and the 32G that came with the camera so can run for almost 3 hours and 25 mins before I run out !! Recording time at 30P of course would be the same as on the AX100, 125mins on a 64G card at 60Mbps , at 100Mbps 75 mins.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2014, 07:27 PM   #1547
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Dempsey View Post
Anthony I could help you with the Live streaming .Been doing it now for 2 1/2 yrs
thanks , that's nice of you!
here's what I know, but it will be handled by others (again I can't possibly deal with the live thing while shooting). Anyway they'll work out of my hdmi (or sdi that I don't have on my cameras now). Connect to blackmagic shuttle (I think) over a thinkpad laptop (with the proper USB3 they said, not all the USB3 are made equal). streaming over youtube live using a paid service that now I can't remember. My 7inch monitor gives hdmi in and out, so I can give the signal as long as it's clean. No need of sdi for now.

sounds right ?

but again that wouldn't be my problem, I'll just give the signal and a beautiful coverage ehehe, (not tgrue, I am Italian and I know the game but I am some average cameraman, honestly) . and for some more money I hope.
Anthony Lelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2014, 07:41 PM   #1548
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
The AX1 runs 55Mins for each card. Its the Z100 that runs for 12 mins.which is why I got the AX1 not the Z100. I have 3 64G cards and the 32G that came with the camera so can run for almost 3 hours and 25 mins before I run out !! Recording time at 30P of course would be the same as on the AX100, 125mins on a 64G card at 60Mbps , at 100Mbps 75 mins.

Ron Evans

Damn!

Dave is an angel compared to you! LOL
You really want me to spend that money and get the AX1, don't ya?

I called and most likely they gave me the minutes for a 32GB card when I asked about the 64.
it did look a little short actually...
so no problem then, I'd need just 3 cards to be safe. 600 bucks instead of 1K

:)
Old July 4th, 2014, 07:45 PM   #1549
Inner Circle

Dang, I see a "best extended shooting undergarments" thread developing...

@Anthony -

I know my post was long, but it gives the keys - careful pans, frame a bit wide/crop/pan in post if needed, and find the "right" shutter speed to allow just the right amount of motion blur, without hitting that "stutter" point. If 1/125 is working for you, that's fine, but experimenting in either direction may be worth the effort.

The AX100 is NOT an "auto" camera, and since it's right on that "consumer/professional" border, it's not surprising that there are a few users who will not be "happy", but for now, it's the most economical current solution. Hard to match the bang for the buck. Destined to become a classic.

@Bruce -
Which OS? IIRC there's an "advanced" settings in the Screen resolution (rt clik on desktop), and that allowed successful entry of custom settings on one NVIDIA laptop. FWIW, the OS and drivers seem to be a little twitchy/particular. I'm on W8.1, I think W8 was a tad better... Had to fiddle with getting the "right" Intel driver for the integrated graphics too... life on the bleeding edge!

A couple "tricks" on setup that seemed to help my Seiki look better - the backlight on mine was CRANKED at 100%, I pulled it back to 35... Sharpness was also set high, and I zeroed it - 4k IS sharp already...that helped with "shimmer". Not sure if you'll be calibrating, but I have found that "color" also is typically "hot" (couldn't calibrate at the stock "50", 35 works OK) and still fiddling with contrast and brightness - trying to balance what looks good for video (brighter) and what looks good for general computer use (darker, unless you need to work on that "monitor tan"). Still, good bang/buck, and it's certainly a joy to have such a big desktop to work on (except for when you can't find your mouse pointer!).

(FWIW, that ebay seller that was at $360 for the Seiki 39, is now at $340... tempting to buy another at that price!)
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2014, 08:03 PM   #1550
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Lelli View Post
thanks , (again I can't possibly deal with the live thing while shooting).e.
I handle 3 cameras (one main follow the action cam and 2 locked off from the rear of the nets fisheye cams all live switched + handle every aspect of the streaming solo . One man band + record the mix
Looking for gigs at the moment
Bruce Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2014, 08:03 PM   #1551
Inner Circle

Hey, if the budget were there, get two AX1's, 128G fast memory cards, and whatever it would take computer wise to display 4K/60p...<wink>

My rationale was simple, the AX100 will replace 2-3 HD cameras (1080 pan/crop), it will be obsolete soon enough, as will ALL "1st gen" 4K cameras, at least cards aren't overly expensive ('cause those will drop over time too), and the ones I had worked in the end! It made economic sense and complemented the other 1" class sensor Sonys I was already using. After getting a good deal on one, it's turned out to be a darn fine VIDEO camera, quirks and all! Stills are surprisingly good, even if the body style is not great for them...

I wanted to get my toes wet w/4K, and as tempting as "going all in" is... it's not practical or "in budget". I will be trying to avoid any "HD only" additions to the camera collection from here on though!
Old July 4th, 2014, 08:12 PM   #1552
Major Player

@ Dave i7 920 stock with an Invidia gt440 win7
Would not show 4k as an option
I found this by xevious on the AVS forum
Manual timings:

Horizontal desktop pixels: 3840 Vertical desktop lines: 2160

Horizontal front porch: 176
Active Horizontal pixels: 3840
Horizontal Total: 4400
horizontal sync width: 88
(or instead of total if listed horizontal, back porch 296)

Vertical front porch: 8
Active Vertical pixels: 2160
Vertical Total: 2250
Vertical sync width: 10
(or instead of total if listed horizontal, back porch 72)

Pixelclock 296.7 (or put the hz at 30 and move it around until you get that pixelclock.

Did it andpresto works beautifullyI will look at altering the setings as you mention but at least it looks real fine

Looking now to upgrade my edit machine to a i7 970x or 980 or 990 which are Hex core and will perform as well as anything on the market but those suckers are still 500 bucks used
Old July 4th, 2014, 08:23 PM   #1553
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Dempsey View Post
I handle 3 cameras (one main follow the action cam and 2 locked off from the rear of the nets fisheye cams all live switched + handle every aspect of the streaming solo . One man band + record the mix
Looking for gigs at the moment
Bruce,
they are professional teams, they can handle a dedicated crew to go live. As for myself I don't even think about getting involved with laptops, internet connections and stuff like that. That's not what I do.
besides.. I will be busy handling 30p and the bad shutter rolling on the AX100 , so no time for anything else LOL
Old July 4th, 2014, 08:26 PM   #1554
Major Player

Yeah I get that
However what is the overall deal worth to the team? And How many splits involved? see what I mean?
Old July 4th, 2014, 10:24 PM   #1555
Inner Circle

@Bruce -

Sounds like you are in about the same boat as I was... I just decided to get a cheaper ASUS board with integrated graphics... and a 4770K with a big honking fan so I could overclock nicely. Runs cool, quiet, and fast... wasn't too bad, and I got a few things my old board didn't have like USB3 ports! The system still has a few quirks, but overall a huge improvement, and 4K capability on the cheap!
Old July 4th, 2014, 10:45 PM   #1556
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
Well, some have reported some possible RS related issues with the GH4, which I'd expect... again, got to learn to work with the camera.
RS appears to be worse when shooting in 4K, I have not noticed it on my GH4 but I also don't do any fast pans so I"m not putting the camera in a situation where the RS would appear, everything depends what type of production you will be using it for. If you don't hear people complain about it it's because they do controlled moves or just many stationary tripodshots. The ax100 will definitely replace my cx730's soon, from what I have seen and read about it it's a cx730 on steroids, I would be missing the very good OIS on the cx730 but in general being able to crop in on that 4K image in a 1080p project is an advantage I can't ignore as a solo shooter.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2014, 05:22 AM   #1557
Inner Circle

These days graphics card is key to editing and playback performance. You can stick as fast a CPU in the machine as you like and it will make very little difference. Stick an up to date graphics card with at least 2GB (preferably 4GB for 4K) of fast video ram and you'll see a night and day improvement over a card like the GT440 which is way below what's really needed for 4K. The minimum is something like a GTX580 or the newer GTX760.
Old July 5th, 2014, 05:59 AM   #1558
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
RS appears to be worse when shooting in 4K, I have not noticed it on my GH4 but I also don't do any fast pans so I"m not putting the camera in a situation where the RS would appear, everything depends what type of production you will be using it for. If you don't hear people complain about it it's because they do controlled moves or just many stationary tripodshots. The ax100 will definitely replace my cx730's soon, from what I have seen and read about it it's a cx730 on steroids, I would be missing the very good OIS on the cx730 but in general being able to crop in on that 4K image in a 1080p project is an advantage I can't ignore as a solo shooter.
I need to see the difference in size of those three cameras that you have. would you mind posting a picture of the three cameras next to eachother?
a piece of paper with your name would be great

so you don't pan at all?
ever?

really?

I mean... how's that possible?
maybe you could try just for this community here and test the AX100 against the GH4 panning a little, for us... could you do that?

you have the cameras, right? so...
Old July 5th, 2014, 07:07 AM   #1559
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
These days graphics card is key to editing and playback performance. You can stick as fast a CPU in the machine as you like and it will make very little difference. Stick an up to date graphics card with at least 2GB (preferably 4GB for 4K) of fast video ram and you'll see a night and day improvement over a card like the GT440 which is way below what's really needed for 4K. The minimum is something like a GTX580 or the newer GTX760.
If Edius is the NLE in question # of cpu cores are the speed bumps More cores = faster rendering
the i7 920 930 950 960 are quad core (8 threads) 970 980 990 are Hex core (12 threads)
The new extreme intel processors right around the the corner will be 8 cores (16 threads) at that point 4k will be a breeze
Old July 5th, 2014, 07:32 AM   #1560
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
@Bruce -

Sounds like you are in about the same boat as I was... I just decided to get a cheaper ASUS board with integrated graphics... and a 4770K with a big honking fan so I could overclock nicely. Runs cool, quiet, and fast... wasn't too bad, and I got a few things my old board didn't have like USB3 ports! The system still has a few quirks, but overall a huge improvement, and 4K capability on the cheap!
+Dave
my x58 mobo has usb3 etc and from what I've been able to gleen from gurus on various computer forums the architecture of the x58 still provides us with the best bang (if you have one already) and there's not been significant improvements in boards and chipsets with their new processors insofar as video rendering is concerned. So overclocked watercooled hex cored extreme processors might be the way to go. Might be one of the reasons 300.00 (980x) seem to be as scarce as hen's teeth
Bruce Dempsey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds