Sony FDR-AX100 - Page 125 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old February 19th, 2017, 10:11 AM   #1861
Regular Crew

Re: Sony FDR-AX100

More questions....
Has anyone used a 128 gb card? I shoot dance recitals and need to cover long times such as 1.5 hours, even more. In the past with dv tapes I have had to have arranged breaks where a dancer would go on stage and improvise until she saw my recording lamp on. Works but can be a bit of a hassle, especially if one is clumsy and drops the replacement tape...

Martin
Martin Archer-Shee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2017, 10:29 AM   #1862
Inner Circle

Yes I use 128G Sony SDXC U3 94MBps cards and they work just fine.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2017, 09:25 PM   #1863
Inner Circle

128G and 256G have worked fine for me, Lexar branded SDXC U3.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2017, 10:23 PM   #1864
Major Player

I've been using SanDisk Extreme Pro 256GB cards lately. Along with the NP-FV100A batteries, I think I'm getting over 5 hours of continuous recording time. Just bought a new charger for the batteries. Very nice, with display of remaining battery life in time and percent, and also shows time to charge to 100%. One thing to know is it holds two batteries, but is a CONSECUTIVE charger. With 4 cameras using those same batteries, I can return from a shoot and put the cams away and stack the depleted batteries next to this charger and just cycle them all through it without having 4 cameras plugged in all over the place.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...r_Charger.html

There's also this shooting grip I came across. I heard it works with the AX100, need to find out if it works with the AX53 as well. Looks like a possible solution for handholding the camera. It has built-in remote control buttons for zoom, record start/stop and photo shutter. It's the GP-VPT1 Shooting Grip/Mini Tripod.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ting_grip.html

I also picked up the RM-VPR1 wired remote control, having just seen in the brochure that it works with both the AX100 and AX53. Got home and tested it, works fine with both. Get two zoom speeds, which I'd describe as "crash" and "creep".

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._terminal.html

There's a wireless version also.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...l/prm/alsVwDtl

Sony's constantly changing remote protocols is enough to drive one to drink.

Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2017, 09:57 AM   #1865
Regular Crew

Thanks to Mark, Dave and Ron for the info on larger cards. I should have seen the info on card size in an earlier post by Ron. Maybe I need new glasses.
Looks like Mark found some interesting "toys", thanks.

I have an earlier Sony wired remote which I used with my PD150. Would be nice to repurpose it to the AX100. RM VD1 which clipped on my tripod arm. Has a 2.5mm male plug for the LANC connection. Now I need to find a way of getting to the small usb connection on the camera. If I can find will that work???

Martin
Old February 21st, 2017, 01:20 PM   #1866
Inner Circle

I have 2 adapters. 2.5 to A/V then A/V to small USB. This works for the AX100 but the protocol for the AX53 is different so will not work.

Ron Evans
Old February 21st, 2017, 04:52 PM   #1867
Major Player

As Ron says, you need two adapter cables. The exact Sony ones you need are:

VMC-AVM1 (has a flat-style MULTI plug on one end for connection to the camera and a D-shaped jack on the other end)

A-3AV (has a D-shaped plug on one end for connecting to the VMC-AVM1 and a 2.5mm jack on the other end for connecting to your LANC remote control)

These two cables are short, combined length is about a foot.

Mark
Old February 22nd, 2017, 04:37 PM   #1868
Inner Circle

The LANC connections moved from that old VD1 plug into the AV plug for a while and then moved again into the MULTI, which as actually a "dual layer" USB port with extra contacts.

In theory you could "hack" an adapter, but the time and effort are probably better spent buying the "right" remote, and having fun shooting!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2017, 06:26 PM   #1869
Major Player

The two adapter cables were not expensive and have been well worth it for me. Never been impressed with these Sony remotes. With the cables, I can connect a Cannon ZR2000 (no longer available) and get more functions plus 8 zoom speeds. And my remote attaches properly to a pan handle with a huge rocker switch for zooming. This is with the AX100 of course. The AX53 is another story.
Old February 22nd, 2017, 07:29 PM   #1870
Inner Circle

I also have a Sony VCT-VPR100 that comes with adapter cables for the remote handle that work with all interfaces including the AX53. Not a great tripod but at least all the interface cables work for everything !!!
Old February 25th, 2017, 02:08 PM   #1871
Regular Crew

Have tried to get the two cords and ran into cost problems. One quote for one was$US14, not a problem.... The delivery was about $US55.
Basically it looks like it will be cheaper to buy a new controller. Looking on eBay and will probably by a new controller for about $US25 delivered. Hate wasting older stuff and I will often fiddle but not worth it for this.
Thanks for the directions...
Martin
Old February 25th, 2017, 02:18 PM   #1872
Regular Crew

New problem.
I shot a dance show this morning ( Using the 4K route) and all was good until my battery quit. Changed batteries and continued. All the files seemed to be good and played back ok.
Later transferred to my iMac and at first all was good. Do not know what happen but in the clip file I found one XML file associated with a MP4 file had disappeared. The regular MP4 file is still there but will not play. Anyway to recover the XML component. Naturally this was the largest segment... Checked the original camera file and it too had the problem

Help
Martin
Old February 25th, 2017, 06:04 PM   #1873
Trustee

A corrupt file due to the loss of power. Not many options I'm afraid. AeroQuartet is available if you really need that footage.
Old February 25th, 2017, 06:37 PM   #1874
Inner Circle

The camera can sometimes recover a corrupted directory but that needs to be done in the camera of course.
Old February 26th, 2017, 01:51 PM   #1875
Regular Crew

Well.... put the corrupt file aside for the moment and started on a performance (second of four for the day) recorded in 4K and looks good. Got it into my Premier cs6 and did a whole bunch of editing. Tried to cut down the dead time of all the little munchkins to come up with a decent memory for the parents ( and myself as I have a granddaughter in the performance).

The finish in Premier looks and sounds crisp. Now to get it to Encore to put out as DVD. Normally from my PD150 days I would use the Dynamic link to Encore and all would be good. Tried that with a small clip and it would be WAYYYY to much for a DVD. I thought it would reduce size etc to match the need. No way.

I tried Export, Media and tried several settings but to no good avail. took some results through to a test Encore set up but not very good.

I am over my head at the moment and would appreciate some direction. I was comfortable with the PD150 and tape and premier etc but felt I should progress and went for the AX100.
Any direction for media settings etc to get to Encore....

Thanks
Martin

back to the corrupt file later..... would like to get the other 3 performances away...
Martin Archer-Shee is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds