Sony FDR-AX100 - Page 126 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old February 27th, 2017, 08:26 AM   #1876
Major Player

Re: Sony FDR-AX100

I might be out here but when I'm editing I often have footage from say AX100 in 4K and other clips from PMW200 and perhaps AVCHD from a Sony PJ790 and even from a Canon but i'm laying them on a 1080P timeline, so I define the sequence first and the 4K clips i set to frame size, I think in Premiere Pro CS 6 under video effects, scale - you just reduce the scale of the clip down to whatever your sequence is set to.
Then you should be able to dynamic link to Encore (thats the way I do it) or another way is to output the clips as MPEG2 and then load them into Encore. You could also use a Bitrate calculator to make sure the clips will fit on a DVD.
Old February 27th, 2017, 01:34 PM   #1877
Regular Crew

hi all

thanks Rob for the direction, I think.
I think I have some knowledge but just enough to be dangerous.

Please follow what I am doing and let me where I should change direction....ultimately, at this point, I wish to use Encore to make a dvd

I use an iMac 27" I5 late 2016 with 24 Gb of ram (moved from PC about a year ago)
Premier cs 6
I have got a 4K file from the AX100 on the computer and can take a clip from it
Open up Premier with new project
Name the project and select a location
Does it matter whether I select DV or HDV in the capture, as I am not capturing from camera? selecting DV
Having clicked OK I then have the sequence presets, which does not have AVXC-S as an option
Do I make a choice such as AVCHD 720p30 1280x720 with square pixels......don't really think so..
Or do I choose custom and then Settings ? and then what ? Custom,29.97, D1/DV NTSC Widescreen 16:9
video previews??etc and then save as a new preset?

Then presumably I import the file in question.

Two many variables and not enough knowledge.

I could go back to the PD150 (where I was comfortable) for future work but that sounds regressive and wastes my ax100. ( I can hear my wife snickering in the background)

Any help or direction is appreciated.
Thanks
Martin
Martin Archer-Shee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2017, 01:42 PM   #1878
Major Player

Hi
Is there anyway to restrict the viewable part of the lcd screen to JUST safe frame.
Rather than the little white guides showing the corners of the safe zone, Id like the entire screen to be safe zone only
thanks
Bruce Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2017, 02:09 PM   #1879
Major Player

No such setting option for safe area. Maybe use some clear acetate (overhead projector slide material) and use a printer to apply a safe area rectangle line on it. Cut it to size of the LCD and attach with clear tape. It might interfere with the touchscreen function though. Another possibility would be to get some really thin, colored tape (like what they sell for making permanent lines on dry erase boards) and lay out a safe zone on your screen. This could still interfere with some touch screen selections but might be better than a plastic sheet over the entire screen.
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2017, 12:57 PM   #1880
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Archer-Shee View Post
...............I could go back to the PD150 (where I was comfortable) for future work but that sounds regressive and wastes my ax100. ( I can hear my wife snickering in the background)
Any help or direction is appreciated.
Thanks
Martin
Usually what I do is lay the clip on a 1080P timeline that way i have a HD clip and i just link it into Encore and it usually takes care of it from there! You could create a custom sequence too.
I did a quick and dirty test here, you'll need to make sure that your in full screen and 1080P resolution to see anything!

Old February 28th, 2017, 02:44 PM   #1881
Regular Crew

Thanks Rob

I am not a quitter so am sticking to my guns, well Ax100...

Your video is most helpful, please leave up for a while and I will look several times more. Truly appreciate the effort you went too. One area I had not been familiar with is the rescaling, as I never had a need/use for it in the past. Can certainly see how it can be used.

I have been playing with my system today and learning some more... Thinking having a 4K video it would be wise to edit in 4K and then Export/Media and then a compatible setup for DVD. I went through several iterations, using just a small clip from the whole clip. Also tried Dynamic linking to Encore. Some were somewhat decent, some stank. In Encore one problem I ran into was that the video, when scrubbing or playing was fuzzy but when stopped was improved.
My thinking was that the fully edited/titled 4K line could be saved and used to produce any level at a future date.

Back to the drawing board.
Many thanks again

Martin

PS Just so you know... my family came from Ireland in the late 1700's (around Kilkenny) and I have been there a couple of times.
Old February 28th, 2017, 05:09 PM   #1882
Inner Circle

I edit with EDIUS so not quite the same and I only use FDR-AX1 at UHD 60P rather the 30PUHD of the AX100. Prefer the smoother motion of 60i or 60P. I edit on an interlaced 1920x1080 timeline most of the time to match the other cameras. EDIUS will scale the whole UHD image to match just like Premiere or I can select the original size image and pan/zoom/ crop into the UHD image as needed. That is how I mainly use the FDR-AX1 to crop into the image. Pans and zooms can be much smoother than manually doing it realtime. Since UHD is 4 times the resolution of 1920x1080 one has the opportunity to re frame the image in editing. Once I have the final edit in 1920x1080 I export for DVD ( scaling and encoding to mpeg2 interlaced for DVD). I normally author in DVDArchitect, do have Encore etc in CS6 but rarely use these days. Most scaling and encoding is done with TMPGenc.
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2017, 06:49 PM   #1883
Major Player

Ah kilkenny!! the Cats... we're huge rivals, but in a sporting way :-)

anyway in Encore the video shows only in a reduced (very) resolution you cant see how good it is till you output.

next time your here look me up ;-)
Old March 3rd, 2017, 04:01 PM   #1884
Regular Crew

Hi All

Well...fun..
I imported ,my file into Premier and selected the option for the file format.. Did it all in 3840x . I plan on saving the high quality file for future use.... I edited and saved and used the dynamic link to Encore.
All good, set the chapters etc and saved and using Toast burned a disk to a DVD. Did I mention it took almost two hours to transcode. Burned a DVD and put it in my DVD player. Great, had to adjust the zoom but the thing came out great on my 65" 4k screen. Did I mention that I had put title on Encore with the wrong year.. 2016 instead of 2017.No big deal.. ? I had to make changes in Premier and Encore and then had to transcode again... for about two hours. Now I am going to re burn to a DVD and try it out.
How many errors can one make? I am out of DVD's but have ordered some and will be here next week.

I know I am the only "jeshfukstdriutdurtif " who does this. I hope the rest of you learn.

Martin
Old March 11th, 2017, 01:11 PM   #1885
Regular Crew

Hi Rob et al

Got my footage for three of the four shootings edited and onto DVD's and look very good.
The remaining one is the one where the camera quit at about one hour. The battery was an after market 100 equivalent and I thought had lots of power. I had noticed that it was a bit warm, so not sure if was a shut down due to heat or lack of juice. Replaced the battery and continued, so I assume it was juice not heat in the camera. In any case I ended up with a 28gb file that was not finalised.
Nate suggested the "Treasures" software and fixing company. Looked like it might work but not in the financial area at some US$300 (say Cdn $375). This was a recording of a bunch of very young(3-5) ballet dancers and if lucky might sell 10 DVD's to parents filming with their phones.... Record nice for the school but economics not there.

At this point I would like to recover the file BUT... Now I am more concerned for the future. With my old PD150 I never had a heat question or loss of power and if I did I would only lose what was not shot. Had to change tapes but had that worked out.

Ok, I can run a power cord instead of using batteries ( but rather not as not always accessible) but is there a problem of heat in long continuous recordings, say 1.5 to 2.0 hours? Anyone doing long shoots able to give some direction?

Thanks
Martin
Old March 11th, 2017, 02:56 PM   #1886
Inner Circle

All my projects are in the theatre with minimum of 1 hour at a time. I have run my AX100 for 4 hours on the Sony FV100 battery . I would not trust aftermarket batteries only use Sony for my Sony cameras. Why risk not getting a shot for poor batteries. Have run the AX100 on mains power all day for shows. 2 hours in the morning, 3 hours in the afternoon and evening. Absolutely no issues with heat. The Atomos Power Station https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...station.htmlis another option with continuous power in a small package using 2 Sony type batteries.
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2017, 03:34 PM   #1887
Inner Circle

I agree, I never had overheating issues with my ax100, I also only use original Sony batteries as I have had negative experience with after market batteries when it comes to Sony camera's.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2017, 12:31 AM   #1888
Trustee

After that first time I had to use the Treasured service, I now only use the Sony branded batteries. Your issue was almost certainly related to cheap batteries and not to excess heat. This issue has actually made me rather cautious for all my other cameras as well, and BP-U60s aren't cheap.
Old March 16th, 2017, 10:49 AM   #1889
Regular Crew

Ron

The Atomos sounds like it would be good but it appears that there is no dummy connector for the AX100 or more precisely the FV series batteries. I have written asking and await their answer. There are also other dummy connectors on eBay but not for the FV series and also plates to hold Sony L series batteries. So close but not there....

Last edited by Martin Archer-Shee; March 16th, 2017 at 01:04 PM.
Old March 16th, 2017, 03:14 PM   #1890
Inner Circle

I have the Atomos to power the GH5 when I get it !!! I have had no problems with the FV100 Sony's seeming to last for ever !!! Yes I too find it strange that Atomos do not have a FV size for the adapters. Forgot that when I suggested the unit. At first I thought it was just that they focused on still cameras but I do not know of any still camera that uses the L series batteries yet they have an adapter for that in the kit I have. Then of course I realized it could be for some of their own units or monitors that use the L series batteries.
Ron Evans is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds