Sony PXW-X70 announced: Pro XDCAM version of AX100 - Page 17 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old September 25th, 2014, 10:49 AM   #241
Major Player

Re: Sony PXW-X70 announced: Pro XDCAM version of AX100

That sounds bizarre - can't see the rationale behind that unless to conserve battery life. I did have both LCD and EVF turned on in the menu system and when my face was up against the large eyecup I could still see (with my left eye) that the viewfinder was still on but it would cut in and out without any particular pattern.
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2014, 06:46 PM   #242
Major Player

Thanks for posting these files, but I haven't found anything yet for a Mac that will play them.

Davinci Resolve Lite (v.10) got the closest, but it had wild glitches and color shifts.
David Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2014, 07:53 PM   #243
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
I have my NX5U to compare with which will zoom from a full stage view to closeup for a full show and maintain focus. (Though initially had to send back to Sony for a lens replacement to get it to do this. Also sent back for the same reason my FDR-AX1 and they replaced the lens unit on it too !! ) The NX30U will not do this consistently. Repeatedly zooming in and out will not result in sharp focus hence my wife who uses the NX30U, uses spot focus all the time.
On my NX70U it depends which way you go with the focus. Zoomed out there is insufficient focus resolution on the focus-by-wire (e.g. jumps from 2 to 8 m) but if I zoom in and focus (say at 3.2 m) I can zoom in and out and maintain focus so it's not as if there is focus shifting.
Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2014, 08:43 PM   #244
Inner Circle

I think it has a lot to do with the theatre environment I shoot in. We are normally 50 to 100 feet from the stage. Normally with the NX5U I focus on something about 1/3 into the stage and can manage the iris to maintain good depth of field so I do not have to continually refocus when zooming in or around the stage. For the NX30 , CX700 or the XR500 in the lower light environment they tend to be wide open with high gain and so will have less depth of field. Focusing in close will result in the image not being in focus when zoomed out to wide so will need to be re focused again to get a sharp wide image. The change is small but is noticeable on all these cameras of mine and is due I think to the best focal point to capture the full stage within the depth of field being different to the point that was at the zoomed in position. Then when zoomed in again will need refocusing again. Initially I had this problem with the NX5U till I had the lens unit replaced within warranty the exact same thing with my FDR-AX1 as I was particular when I got it and immediately sent it back !!! . I honestly haven't bothered with the smaller cameras as they mainly stay fixed unattended or my wife uses and for family stuff the NX30U is mainly in auto ( with AE shift ) and works great then. I am sure my needs are different from most as I am looking for everything in focus not just the subject. In other words maximum depth of field whether zoomed in or wide.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2014, 12:12 AM   #245
Regular Crew

Some new videos shot with the PXW-X70:

@samjamez shared on twitter that this was shot with the PXW-X70:

http://youtu.be/GkbYkuY3wgU?list=UUd...d6R3eQOZlBz-iA
Bill Petropoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2014, 01:46 AM   #246
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dixon View Post
Thanks for posting these files, but I haven't found anything yet for a Mac that will play them.

Davinci Resolve Lite (v.10) got the closest, but it had wild glitches and color shifts.
I have an Adobe CC membership and the latest version of Premiere Pro CC plays uses and even renders files in the XAVC format without a hassle. Using a Macbook Pro OSX 10.9.5.
Gabor Heeres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2014, 11:51 AM   #247
Major Player

So neither FCPX nor Avid will import these files. I don't have an Adobe subscription so will just wait for Sony to provide their solution in October (supposedly).

The video posted above looks much better than those raw clips posted earlier this week.

I still have great hopes for this camera.
David Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2014, 01:26 PM   #248
New Boot

i don't see anything appealing about the IQ of this camera from the above video. the image looks old and very regular.

david
David Probst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2014, 07:21 PM   #249
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabor Heeres View Post
Earlier on, some people asked for some X70 raw footage. Here are some of the files i shot in the park behind my appartment today:

http://we.tl/XlxyCMBi6U

Please feel free to use, not to publish.

What surprises me the most: The XAVC files are in .MXF format as wrapper, Sony people on the Sony stand at IBC told me it would be .MP4. Furthermore, VLC player doesn't play these XAVC files, hope they come up with an update really soon. Older versions of NLE software neither do cooperate with these files so updating your software is absolutely necessary.
Should these files be playable in the most recent version of the Sony Content Browser- Can the MXF files be imported individually into the content browser, does it matter that these files are outside of the Sony folder structure?

I tried importing them and a browser error saying that it could not import came up.

Last edited by Rich Adrion; September 27th, 2014 at 08:26 PM.
Rich Adrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2014, 07:40 PM   #250
Inner Circle

Files play fine in Edius Pro 7.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2014, 09:27 PM   #251
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Adrion View Post
Should these files be playable in the most recent version of the Sony Content Browser- Can the MXF files be imported individually into the content browser, does it matter that these files are outside of the Sony folder structure?

I tried importing them and a browser error saying that it could not import came up.
Content Browser 2.0 "supports" XAVC. But I'm sure they mean XAVC-Intra. It does not support XAVC-S (from AX100) and having used both cameras (I ownt the X70 and used the AX100 for 2weeks) the file structure of the so-called XAVC-L ("Long GOP" from the X70) to my eye is virtually identical to XAVC-S from the AX100. Are we dealing with Sony marketing a so called "professional" codec for the X70 when both codecs are really one and the same? Perhaps someone with more technical and inside knowledge than myself could comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
Files play fine in Edius Pro 7.
Yes it does but isn't it a PIA to import these files without thumbnails and having to hold down the control key while you select every other file (labeled MXF) and skipping the files labeled HTML one at a time? Perhaps I am missing something here and not doing it the proper way. Perhaps the new software Sony is releasing that supplants Content Browser will recognize all favors of XAVC and we will be back to the days of selecting a large group of thumbnails and dumping them into the Edius bin all at once. Sony touts this camera as "professional" grade but this portion of the editing process certainly isn't.
Old September 27th, 2014, 09:45 PM   #252
Regular Crew

After looking into it more- It seems like content browser is being replaced by this new software browser on Sept 30th and I expect this will read everything
https://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/catalystbrowse

more
http://www.sony.com/SCA/company-news...on-appli.shtml

Last edited by Rich Adrion; September 27th, 2014 at 10:27 PM.
Rich Adrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2014, 10:47 PM   #253
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Adrion View Post
After looking into it more- It seems like content browser is being replaced by this new software browser on Sept 30th and I expect this will read everything
https://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/catalystbrowse

more
Sony Corporation of America
Thanks for the links - I had misplaced them. It looks like "problem solved" as far as clip management.

Also, having a PXW FS7K on order it looks like I might be able to use the S-Log3 functions on that camera and do color grading without having the equivalent of a PhD in color grading and spending hours in the process (or perhaps I.m being overly optimistic).
Old September 28th, 2014, 02:08 AM   #254
Regular Crew

Ok. I got my x70 yesterday from Singapore ( I live in Thailand) Really distressed about not being able to edit in PPCS6 but have downloaded a trial of PPCC and it works fine. The images are just so crisp and clear on my 27" iMac. I've uploaded some VERY BADLY SHOT AND EDITED footage so that you can take a look. remember it is on YT at 1080, degraded by their compression, but I hope it will help you decide. Believe me, the original footage is just so sharp!
You can see the footage here
Old September 28th, 2014, 03:14 AM   #255
Regular Crew

Mike which shop did you buy your X70 from?

If the shop is not a sponsor here, can you email me at hantanbl@gmail.com

thanks

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds