Sony PXW-X70 announced: Pro XDCAM version of AX100 - Page 29 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old November 16th, 2014, 08:37 PM   #421
Regular Crew

Re: Sony PXW-X70 announced: Pro XDCAM version of AX100

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johns View Post
Hi

The ME66 wasn't in the on-camera mic clamp, it was in a separate pistol grip. However, the ECM-XM1 (which is a basic top-mic I originally got with a Sony Z5) was clamped in the X70 though it has a rubber sheath around it which brought it up to the right width.

By holding up a ruler to the X70's mic clamp - see my bad photo - it appears as though the minimum width from the tip of each rubber mounting point to its opposite number is around 22-23mm so you're going to have to wrap loads of gaffer tape around that 8060 ;-)

Regards
David
Thanks, David for taking the time to do that. Yup - gaffer tape should do the trick. Or better, I'll see if I can make some sort of "O" ring from a piece of rubber tubing. Very professional indeed!
Terence Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2014, 02:21 AM   #422
Trustee

Yes I also find the 19mm mics need padding out. I have three of those great Ramsa mics that were labled AJ-700P that were the standard onboard camera mic for the AJ-D900-910 DVC Pro 50 cameras. Grabbed one of those and stuck it on X70 with one of genuine Sony mic spacer rubbers and it works a treat.

Another thing that I like on the X70 is that the XLR inputs actually have a mechanical three way attenuation selector switch when using mics. Selectable levels of 0dB:-60dBu, 10dB:-50dBu and 20dB:-40dBu.. Something you don't see to often on cameras these days.

Re the mic padding if your mic is too thin and needs padding. In years gone by I have cut out padding sections out of those black foamed neoprene mouse mats. The type of mousemats made from the same material as wetsuits. Works beautifully and does not look out of place.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2014, 07:34 AM   #423
Trustee

I've got an old worn Panasonic MC700 shotgun on my X70, very clean and quite audio for sure.

Christopher, I put my X70 back on the scope, and got the best PP color correction settings I could. I added your gamma, black level, and knee settings, and did some "by eye" adjustments of the color depth settings. I have had a horrendous time getting blue/red LED lights on police cars to look good, but with my new settings, they look very accurate. Not only flashing lights, but skin tone is perfect as well. Here is a test clip I sjot this morning, let me know your opinion on it. :-)

It was shot at 720 p60 on AVCHD, YT 30p conversion is awful!

Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2014, 03:42 PM   #424
New Boot

Your right...those skin tones and colors look great! Would you mind sharing your settings?
Randy Singer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2014, 05:39 PM   #425
Equal Opportunity Offender

Hi Paul,

I had a good listen to the raw footage you shot.

Are you getting hassled because you've got this tiny little camera and don't look like a proper TV news dude any more? :-P

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2014, 06:53 PM   #426
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Anderegg View Post
...but with my new settings, they look very accurate...
Paul,
This is a very good low light PP.
It would be great if you could post the complete settings.
Thanks
Old November 17th, 2014, 08:40 PM   #427
Trustee

Yeah, let me just nail down some variables first and I will post a new post in the XAVC forum with my finalized settings. I had to play around with the white balance correction fields and either move everything to magenta in LL or mess with R and B in the RB menu. I shot that footage with an LED, and if you look on the scope, you will see the whites are all shifted to magenta slightly. Not terribly noticeable, but I need to spray some video with the same IDlight I used for the DSC chart to verify first.

Also, for a short time, my YouTube clip was showing a 720p60 option on YT! It's gone now, and back to regular 720p. It looked soooo smooth for a brief moment. :(

Paul
Old November 17th, 2014, 08:46 PM   #428
Trustee

OK, apparently 720p60 is only an option if you are using an HTML5 browser, such as Chrome..

Paul
Old November 18th, 2014, 04:48 PM   #429
Regular Crew

Been looking for a couple years to upgrade, and just have not been able to pull the trigger. But I am really interested in this cam due to the 4K upgrade, large sensor, good price, etc.

So I am coming from a Sony FX1, and had a couple questions I did not see answered in this thread:

1. Since I do not have any recording cards, would like to purchase cards that will work with the current recording options, and when I get the 4K upgrade - can anyone recommend which one's will work?

2. Will the 4K upgrade be something done with a software plugin, or will I have to send the camera to Sony or wherever?

3. I have a VariZoom VZ-Rock controller that works with my FX1. Would like to use with the X70. I read where you need an adapter, will the adapter work with this Zoom controller? If so, where can it be purchased, and what is name/model? I don't see under B&H accessories.

4. I read where eventually PP6 will be supported, and that is what I use. Will I be able to edit the 4K footage in PP6? My PC is about 2 years old and was wondering if my rig can handle the 4K. Is there minimum specs required for editing the XAVC and the 4K? (motherboard speed, min. RAM, how much hard drive space per hour video, etc.).

Thanks.
Rick Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2014, 05:09 PM   #430
Regular Crew

1. I use two Sandisk Extreme 64GB SDXC cards in the X70. Works fine for me.
2. From what I understand, we will need to send in the X70 to Sony for the 4K upgrade
3. You will need two adapter cables. The Varizoom plugs into one adapter, which plugs into another adapter, which then plugs into the X70. Kind of a pain in the arse, but it works fine..

I purchased them from Amazon:

Sony VMCAVM1 A/V R Adapter Cable
VariZoom VZ-AV/LANC Mini Audio/Video to LANC Converter

4. It seems to only be supported in Premiere CC 2014 right now. Don't know about PP6.

Shooting AVCHD for now while waiting for FCPX support.
Maui, Hawaii
Todd Mizomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2014, 06:58 PM   #431
Major Player

About the memory cards:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-pxw...n-ax100-9.html

Scroll down to posts 347-351 or so.

The general consensus seems to be that 64GB SDXC Class 10 U-1 cards are fine currently. Some have suggested that U-3 cards are a safer bet for 4K compatibility later, but users are reporting great results even with less expensive brands.

I've not read anywhere that the 4K upgrade might require sending it in to Sony, but in a way I hope that's true. I've also heard that the 4K will be the exact same as what's found on the AX100. If it has to be done by Sony, then there's a good chance it will be an enhancement beyond what the AX100 offers.
David Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2014, 07:18 PM   #432
Regular Crew

Transcend SD XC UHS 3 cards work fine, about £25 for a 64 GB card on Ebay.
sony make a controller- Sony Remote Control RM-VPR1 with Multi-Terminal Cable for Sony Digital Camera I bought on on Ebay from a japanese guy called yosh-set, for $60. Only controls on/0ff zoom, /record
Old November 18th, 2014, 07:36 PM   #433
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Mizomi View Post
3. You will need two adapter cables. The Varizoom plugs into one adapter, which plugs into another adapter, which then plugs into the X70. Kind of a pain in the arse, but it works fine..
Presumably this in order to read the cards while they are in the camera? But isn't it simpler just to remove the cards from the camera and import the footage to the computer via a card reader. Please correct me if I'm misunderstanding what these cables are meant for...
Terence Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2014, 09:33 PM   #434
Inner Circle

The X70 has a multi /USB connector that has many functions. To access the remote one needs an adapter that goes from the multi /USB to an A/V connector, then another to go to a 2.5mm LANC connector. The other alternative is to get a Sony remote that works into the multi/ USB connector directly. Several of the Sony tripods already come with multiple cables for connecting the tripod remote to any of the Sony cameras.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2014, 10:07 PM   #435
Regular Crew

Okay - thanks for enlightening me, Ron. I'm totally out of my depth on this facility. Guessing that this is a very comprehensive form of remote control functions...i.e., far in excess of the wireless remote that it can do to an iPad. Never really looked into LANC control, but it's probably something that I will never need for mostly gun & run.

Last edited by Terence Morris; November 18th, 2014 at 11:22 PM.
Terence Morris is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds