Sony PXW-X70 announced: Pro XDCAM version of AX100 - Page 31 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old November 23rd, 2014, 06:29 AM   #451
Regular Crew

Re: Sony PXW-X70 announced: Pro XDCAM version of AX100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
Not sure if this does apply to the X70 but for the NX30U, FDR-AX1 and the NX5U that I have it is important that if only one XLR is used , say XLR Channel 1, then the channel 2 input should be set to line.
Hi Ron

Thanks. Certainly switching Ch2 to Line (and adding the 20dB attenuation) makes the hiss and crackle so inaudible as not to be a problem - but the issue occurs whether there's something plugged into one or both XLR inputs. So, even with a mic in each input, the noise occurs.

And the source, I've found after much testing, is definitely Ch2. The settings of Ch1 makes no difference but Ch2 is making the horrid noise that affects both channels, rather like listening to someone tuning in a Longwave radio at midnight...

I imagine I must have a broken handle unit, it is a Sony review sample after all and it's probably been through the mill with other testers (though I'd have hoped it would withstand the abuse)

Still no idea what the beeping is mind you, the testing continues...

Regards
David
David Johns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2014, 07:05 AM   #452
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Smith View Post
Do you have some sort of audio of the beeping?
Ahem:

It stops as soon as I stop recording despite continuing to monitor on the headphones with no changes to the mics etc. Press record and it starts again.
Old November 23rd, 2014, 07:13 AM   #453
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
Not sure if this does apply to the X70 but for the NX30U, FDR-AX1 and the NX5U that I have it is important that if only one XLR is used , say XLR Channel 1, then the channel 2 input should be set to line. The bad mic does not have to be handled , just touch anywhere on the camcorder. Mount off camera and it is fine.
Hi Ron

Crikey - I keep both the inputs on my PMW-200 to Mic+48 even with only one plugged in and no probs, so must be camera dependent.

Anyway, regarding the X70 I had mics in both inputs and it still happens. Neither was touching the camcorder itself.

I would honestly be delighted to be shown that I'm doing something stupid but I'm sure it shouldn't be like this esp when Ch1 is clean regardless

Here's a quick video to demonstrate:

Old November 23rd, 2014, 07:51 AM   #454
Inner Circle

In my case the NX30U, a detachable units like the X70 ( of course could be the same unit repackaged) is worse than the AX1 or the NX5U but all have similar characteristics. Do the mics need the same gain trim in the menu ? Does altering the gain trim make any difference ?

Not sure how channel 2 causes this issue but I either have both inputs selected with mic on channel 1 ( channel 1 auto and 2 Manual gain with the XLR selection on channel 2 set to line no input) or with inputs mic on channel 1 and line on channel 2 ) and with this configuration there is no noise. Sort of makes having a mic input on channel 2 a little useless !!! But that is how I set up most of the time.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2014, 10:15 AM   #455
Major Player

David and Ron:

This thread is huge, so I apologize if you have already covered this. Have both of you done the firmware update?
Richard D. George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2014, 10:17 AM   #456
Major Player

David and Ron:

If the audio issue does not get resolved soon, will either of you regret purchasing this particular camcorder? I have a pressing interest in knowing.

Thanks!
Richard D. George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2014, 11:46 AM   #457
Equal Opportunity Offender

Withh regards to David's first video above titled "Sony PXW X70 audio beeping", I've isolated out the beeping.

First thing to note (forgive the pun) is that there are two tones at work, on the 1khz and 2kz frequencies.

A visual spectrogram of the cleaned up-ish audio is attached.

You can download a finished .wav sample file from http://www.filedropper.com/pxw-x70beeps

Andrew

PS. It really does sound like a heart beat monitor for your camera. At least, that's what came to mind.
Attached Thumbnails
Sony PXW-X70 announced: Pro XDCAM version of AX100-pxw-x70-beeps-visual.jpg  
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2014, 12:28 PM   #458
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard D. George View Post
David and Ron:

If the audio issue does not get resolved soon, will either of you regret purchasing this particular camcorder? I have a pressing interest in knowing.

Thanks!
I have not purchased it yet as it is not yet available in my area. Due early Dec. The audio issue is of little concern to me as I have said seems to be similar to my other Sony cameras for which the solution is do not use a mic in channel 2 and leave in line mode. For me this is how I normally operate anyway so of no concern. To others it may well be a problem.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2014, 01:19 PM   #459
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard D. George View Post
David and Ron: Have both of you done the firmware update?
I have not done a firmware update as this camera belongs to Sony's press team and is only on loan to me.

Having said that, I thought the audio fix in the firmware was simply something to do with swapping the channels round?

I reiterate that as a loan unit, it may simply be that mine has been damaged by careless reviewers prior to it getting into my sticky paws.

In answer to your other question though, if I *had* purchased this, I'd be pretty annoyed by the audio glitches if they proved not to be a faulty unit but inherent.

Regards
David
Old November 24th, 2014, 02:30 PM   #460
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Lelli View Post
the vivitar 8-button lanc controller comes with the cable (2.5mm female to sony AV/R) so you just need to get the VMCAVM1. Now the vivitar does lots of stuff (including focus +/-) but also selectable and constant zoom speed plus variable. and more. The zoom rocker makes a loud(ish) click but there are ways to fix it. you'll have to open it and put a piece of paper on the 2 switches (of the zoom) and then gaffer tape to cover the paper and fix it. After you close it the clicks are gone making this cheap controller one of the best that I had. I use a manfrotto now (on a sony EX1r) and I still miss that controller because it was good, and the angle on the tripod handle was perfect plus the zoom rocker was vertical making it more intuitive (at least to me). I use a manfrotto (on EX1r) now and I still miss the vivitar. seriously.
Anthony, how can we extend the controller to say 15-20ft? None of the sites specifically say the cable length included on these remotes and your setup seems the most ideal but I need a greater distance remote functionality. I don't know why Sony assumes the remote will just be near the camera in every situation!

Also, does anyone know if the Wi-Fi capability on the camcorder allows for you to control zoom via the app? There is no users manual online for the Sony PXW-X70 and I am surprised at the lack of updates on Sony's behalf of firmware and documentation.
Victor Boyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2014, 08:06 AM   #461
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Young View Post
Purchased exactly the two items Todd mentions and the Varizoom VZ-Rock works beautifully with them. You can have nice smooth ramped speed zoom take offs and landings without any problems. Nearly as good as a proper B4 zoom contoller and that's saying something.

Edius handles the XAVC-L codec at this time. I believe Sony Creative hinted some time in December for a general release of the decoder.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney.
Which exact Varizoom did you get? I see a couple different ones all using the VZ-Rock name; is this it? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/330007-REG/VariZoom_VZ_ROCK_VZRock_Variable_Rocker_for_LANC.html
Mike Buckhout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2014, 08:51 AM   #462
Major Player

...and I have a basic Libec unit - would it also require these same two cables??
David Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2014, 06:12 PM   #463
Regular Crew

Those two cables work with my Libec controller just fine
Maui, Hawaii
Todd Mizomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2014, 06:31 AM   #464
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johns View Post

I imagine I must have a broken handle unit, it is a Sony review sample after all and it's probably been through the mill with other testers (though I'd have hoped it would withstand the abuse)
Well I can't find any shortwave tuner guys here Dave. I have tried everything you have mentioned plus swapped mics on inputs, a mixture of Senny, Ramsa, Sony and Audio Technica mics and I can't get a beep, crackle or hiss out of the unit other than what I would expect. Even tried with inputs #1 and #2 on manual cranked up to level 10 with or without a mics in the inputs. In a dead sterile room the only noise I can hear is the even level low hiss of a mic looking for sound when the attenuation is set to 0 and the AGC is set to AUTO. This is in both modes E to E and recorded playback.

I think I would be suspicious of the unit you have in hand. Maybe there is an issue with the handle unit. If you remove the handle unit can you still record this phantom beep? If so then that would suggest an issue with the camera itself.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2014, 10:54 AM   #465
Regular Crew

That's very reassuring to hear and thank you for that extensive testing.

Sony are now sending me a replacement loaner so I'll post an update here when it arrives. Apparently the dodgy-sounding X70 was taken to Africa by a journalist before me so it may have been nibbled on by a lion or something...

Regards
David
David Johns is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds