Sony PXW-X70 announced: Pro XDCAM version of AX100 - Page 10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old September 1st, 2014, 07:24 AM   #136
Inner Circle

Re: Sony PXW-X70 announced: Pro XDCAM version of AX100

The NX30U, one of the cameras the X70 will replace, also has no the provision for a strap.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2014, 08:43 AM   #137
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Robinson View Post
I had noticed the lack of attachment points for a strap also. I guess Sony decided that the form factor on this smaller camcorder didn't need a strap. A little disappointing to me too. I have a really cool strap the is like a bungee cord that allows me to put positive down force on the camera while walking to help smooth out the walking motion. It works really well. I'm sure I can figure out a way to make it work though.
Using the Custom SLR C Loop Mount the camera will hang upside down (attached to the tripod mount) and my hand should be even with the handle on the camera. I should be able to steady the camera for walking and bring it up to shooting position with a minimum of hastle.

I should have the camera by the end of this week - if this system works, I'll post a pic.
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2014, 11:35 AM   #138
Major Player

I had emailed a certain company that produces Sony instructional videos asking if they planned one for the X70 and it was hinted (by Sony) that they should wait until IBC before proceeding with future plans. Wouldn't it be interesting if they were bringing out something with specs like the PMW 200 that could do 4K??
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2014, 06:39 PM   #139
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry J. Weckesser View Post
I had emailed a certain company that produces Sony instructional videos asking if they planned one for the X70 and it was hinted (by Sony) that they should wait until IBC before proceeding with future plans. Wouldn't it be interesting if they were bringing out something with specs like the PMW 200 that could do 4K??
Or how about a Z100 with the X70's 1" sensor? It would lose some of the zoom range, but it should increase the light sensitivity. That would be a fair trade off.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2014, 06:57 PM   #140
Inner Circle

The obvious choices would be a 4K version of the VG30 and/or EA50. The EA50 body would be big enough for XQD slots and a fan !!! Though Sony Alpharumors is suggesting a replacement for the FS100 to compete with the Canon C100 .

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2014, 09:00 PM   #141
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Lelli View Post
in 1080 the AX100 is better than the XA20 in low light, half-stop or even more. I had both. The same scene can be shot @ 1/100 on the AX100 while the XA20 needs 1/60 (shutter speed). same DB applied on both.
regarding the lanc I can confirm that the cheap vivirar (lanc) works via the AV-M1 and the 2.5mm to sony av-r cable: zoom , start/stop, zoom speed (8 constant plus variable), on-screen info on-off (but only on the LCD, doesn't work on a monitor via HDMI, focus and ON-Off (CAMERA) . The libec 3DV didn't work (no idea why).
Somehow I missed this comment earlier. Thanks for the info. That certainly is a big factor for my type of shooting. Thank you for confirming that I will be able to make it work.
Stephen Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2014, 03:21 AM   #142
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Robinson View Post
Somehow I missed this comment earlier. Thanks for the info. That certainly is a big factor for my type of shooting. Thank you for confirming that I will be able to make it work.
Stephen are you considering the AX100 or X70? the major reason that made me go back to EX1r and sell the AX100 was the degradation of the footage panning. at 1080 was visible but at 4K was too much. I'm not talking about the rolling shutter, I'm talking about the blur that starts showing the moment you pan. that's mainly due to the internal sharpening , not adjustable on the AX100 .Now the X70 gives the picture profiles where you can dial the sharpening (detail) down and hopefully the frequency and crispness (NR) like in the EX1r, and that makes a difference panning. In few days we all will see , I have the X70 on pre-order. What I said about the lanc was about the AX100, not the X70. again in few days I'll be able t confirm if it works on the X70 as well.
Anthony Lelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2014, 03:41 AM   #143
Regular Crew

Got confirmation that while the X70 can record 30p in both HD resolutions... it does not output 30p over SDI. Bummer...and complete missed opportunity by Sony on this when the XF205 will. I asked to pass this known fact onto appropriate Sony channels... maybe there is a slither of a chance it will come at release or inserted into the 4k/streaming upgrade.
Tony Maceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2014, 04:01 AM   #144
Slash Rules!

You mean to a recording device or even to a monitor? You can't monitor 30p?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2014, 05:29 AM   #145
Trustee

I would guess that it's 29.97psf over over 60i. (Both top and bottom field are sliced from the exact same progressive frame...so when combined again, they match the original frame) This would be 2:2 pulldown on any Atomos recorder.

So, you get the "30p" look and progressive quality just wrapped in industry common standard 60i for transport.

Dunno...just a guess.
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2014, 08:01 PM   #146
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Maceo View Post
Got confirmation that while the X70 can record 30p in both HD resolutions... it does not output 30p over SDI. Bummer...and complete missed opportunity by Sony on this when the XF205 will. I asked to pass this known fact onto appropriate Sony channels... maybe there is a slither of a chance it will come at release or inserted into the 4k/streaming upgrade.
3G hd-sdi isn't incredibly well supported for a number of reasons. Hdmi is better set up for 30p as a consumer interface.
Old September 5th, 2014, 01:48 AM   #147
Inner Circle

30p is NOT a 1.5G HDSDI standard, never has been and never will be. This is not a Sony limitation, it is an industry wide limitation because 30p and 25p were not in use when the 1.5G HDSDI standards were laid down. So to be compliant with industry standards most cameras use PsF.
The standard for 30p over HDSDI is 30psf, a signal that electronically is identical to 60i but actually contains a true progressive stream.

The X70 outputs 30p over HDSDI using PsF, like just about every other camera.

HDSDI is so much better than HDMI. It's 10 bit, 422. The connector won't just fall out, and is much more reliable.
Old September 5th, 2014, 04:01 AM   #148
Slash Rules!

so this issue is a non- issue?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2014, 08:13 AM   #149
Trustee

It's a non-issue. Something Sony has already done nicely on their other cameras for a long time.

Nothing wrong with 29.97 psf. It's the best of both worlds. You get 100% of the progressive look you need and can still transport it over the industry normal 60i standard. A 2:2 pulldown is basically lossless. It just joins the top and bottom fields back to it's original 30p source frame. (no pixels lost, no motion artifacts)

It's a win/win situation!

(The only theoretical problem could maybe arise if the system tried to pull a top field from frame "5" and a bottom field from frame "6" and try to join them together...ehhh, I doubt that would ever happen)

CT
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2014, 07:49 PM   #150
Major Player

X70 Operation Manual is now online: http://www.sony.co.uk/pro/support/op.../1237493097718

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds