Clean HDMI output vs Display Info Output too at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old October 23rd, 2014, 02:56 PM   #1
Major Player

Clean HDMI output vs Display Info Output too

I use the HDMI output to feed a liveshell encoder/streamer which is plugged straight into an ethernet cable for live event streaming
All the camera setting data which is on the screen is also fed out and thus viewable by anyone tuned into the stream so I quickly pushed the display button which resulted in clean output. But I still need that data including the vu meters. Has anyone else seen that.
Bruce Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2014, 04:55 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Clean HDMI output vs Display Info Output too

I've recorded off the HDMI output without getting the LCD overlay info recorded, so it can be done. Try going into the Setup menu and set Data Code to Off (choices are: Off, Date/Time, Camera Data).

Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2014, 06:29 PM   #3
Major Player

Data Code was set to "Off"
Can you make adjustments on the screen in the menu without the data on the screen being output?
Old October 24th, 2014, 06:49 AM   #4
Major Player

Bruce,

Sorry for the wrong info. I don't have the recorder or even a HDMI monitor handy to fully confirm it, but it looks like you're right, there's no way to output a clean HDMI signal unless you use the DISPLAY button to turn off the overlays. Bummer. You're streaming in HD quality then? Apparently when I did my recorder testing (in May) I set up the shot, then turned off the displays and started the recording.

Mark
Old October 24th, 2014, 07:14 AM   #5
Major Player

Hi Mark
Currently use a Japanese device called the Cerevo Liveshell which has a max put put of 704 x 396 so really not even SD but it's super easy to use and very reliable. They also make a Pro model which streams 720.
I don't know why the issue of screen overlay is proving hard to resolve
notice the "Standby" and "Rec" layer is not output either recording or not
Hopefully there will be a menu setting I haven't found otherwise I will have to mute the video output from time to time and as needed to adjust menu and its really nice having the audio vu meters visible
Nothing looks more ameteurish than ouputing screen overlay data on the stream and its a problem if one wanted to spot focus etc
Old October 24th, 2014, 11:10 AM   #6
Major Player

Bruce,

I wonder if you were to use an iPad/iPhone or similar device and set up a Wi-Fi connection with the camera, would you be able to have the camera setting info you need on the iPad and yet have a clear screen on the camera? I don't have any such compatible devices so I haven't tested this. Just a thought.

Mark
Old October 24th, 2014, 11:27 AM   #7
Regular Crew

This may be different on the AX100, but according to the manual for the X70 there is a Display Output setting (Menu > Display Set > Display Output > ) that allows you to select either LCD or ALL OUTPUT for those overlays such as zoom, focus, audio level meters and others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X70 Operations Manual, Page 97:
"You can select where to output the display information, such as time code.
LCD PANEL (default)
Outputs the information to the LCD screen.
ALL OUTPUT
Outputs information to the SDI OUT, HDMI OUT, and VIDEO OUT jacks, and the LCD screen. Zebra, peaking and the frame on the face are also output."
Does your camera have that menu?
Mike Buckhout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2014, 03:25 AM   #8
Major Player

Just tested the iPhone remote idea and there's no audio meters displayed, just a REC indicator and zoom level display. You can choose some grid overlay as well. On a side note, I tested the zoom speed and it is a 11-second time from wide to tele, so a middle of the road speed compared to the camera's rocker.

Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds