X70....First Gripe at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old October 24th, 2014, 11:47 AM   #1
Major Player

X70....First Gripe

I guess I didn't read the online specs close enough. I was very surprised to find Sony still using 3dB increments for adjustment of gain. No way to get smooth unnoticeable gain adjustment. Been using Panasonic and Canon since FX1000 and was sure Sony had adopted the same gain control as them,1dB increments.

I'm hoping there is a setting in the menu so I can change it but I'm expecting not.

Second gripe: Have to go to into menu to adjust kelvin and no way to assign this to a button.

Last edited by Tim Akin; October 25th, 2014 at 05:48 AM. Reason: added gripe
Tim Akin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2014, 06:14 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: X70....First Gripe

My first gripe has gotten a little better. If the gain is in auto, looks like the in camera gain switching might be single dB graduation because it is gradual an not noticeable.

After my second day with the X70 I think the positives might out way the negatives, still to be determined.

Auto WB is really good on this camera, that could save me big at times.

I like spot meter, no need for back light or spot light buttons to be set when using auto iris.
Old November 1st, 2014, 06:21 AM   #3
Major Player

Re: X70....First Gripe

Only one lens ring, slowest zoom speed too fast/fastest zoom speed too slow, everything buried in menus. Even with all of those gripes and a few more, the more I use this camera, the more I like it. I'm pretty sure there isn't a camera out there that does this quality of video in the same number of varieties PLUS has halfway decent audio inputs/controls PLUS HD-SDI out for even close to the price. Plus UHD in the first quarter of 2015 (?)... The positives definitely outweigh the negatives.

~~Dave

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds