How to change the file naming convention at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old November 11th, 2014, 10:14 AM   #1
Major Player

How to change the file naming convention

I like the file naming system which uses the date and time which ensures each clip has a different file name but after I format a card in camera the new files I shoot are once again named C0001.mp4, C0002,mp4, C0003.mp4 and so on. Well I have many more files of the same name and this is going to be a big problem forsure. How does one avoid this issue please and thank you
Bruce

this issue is with xavc files only

Last edited by Bruce Dempsey; November 11th, 2014 at 11:48 AM.
Bruce Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2014, 04:20 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: How to change the file naming convention

The simplest method is to use Folders for each event, then it doesn't matter if you have 2 files of the same name. If you have duplicate file names of a single event, then you can use Sub-folders like Card1, Card2...
Or Camera-A, Camera-B...

The next method might be to use any number of programs (FastStone?) that allow Bulk Renaming, so you can rename your files and give them some contextual name: SmithWedding001, SmithWedding002...
Or in your case, you can use the Time Stamp of the file as part of its name: 2014-11-12 10;30.mp4
Vince Pachiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2014, 05:35 AM   #3
Major Player

This is an issue I'm having with the ax100
In theSetup Menu there is an item called "File Number" which has two options "Series" or "Reset"
Trouble is the "Series" option behaves in the same exact manner as the "Reset" option. You can't have a bunch of files on a computer all with the same name even if they are in different directories because sooner or later some will get overwritten. I have sent an email to Sony Support several days ago and have not received a response as yet
Do other ax100 users experience the same issue? or is it just my camera?
BTW this problem of the file numbers reseting every time only exists when shooting xavc-s
Old November 13th, 2014, 06:37 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Jep. Got the same thing.
Gildo Houtekamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2014, 03:38 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I just make a new folder on my drive for each shoot. Premiere can handle clips with the same name in the same bin, but the OS cannot have two files with the exact same name in the same folder, as you say.
Mike Buckhout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2014, 07:06 PM   #6
Trustee

I agree that the lack of proper naming for the XAVC files is very lame.
I would hope that this can be fixed with a firmware update.
To me this is just another example of how this codec, in the case of the X70, has been released with very little collateral technology or infrastructure, making it inconvenient and annoying to use at present.
Old November 13th, 2014, 07:22 PM   #7
Trustee

Don't you use batch rename? In Windows all I do once the files are imported is to do a batch rename using the Shift / Select method selecting the the whole batch of clips, let's say clips 0001 to 0100. While all clips are selected and highlighted I rename the first clip, for example let's say 'World Series Cam #1 Card #1.' All selected clips will will now have this name but with a numeral after it such as:

World Series Cam #1 Card #1 (1)
World Series Cam #1 Card #1 (2)
World Series Cam #1 Card #1 (3)
etc. etc.

Of course the naming convention you use is entirely up to you and your requirements and imagination.

Very often I will batch rename using shot descriptions such as 'Joe Bloggs Interview CU' for all the close up shots and 'Joe Bloggs Interview MCU' for all the medium close up shots.

This way I am assured that there are never two shots in the system with the same name unless it's through my own stupidity. I have been doing this with XDCam disc footage with great success ever since we left tape behind in 2007.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2014, 04:18 AM   #8
Major Player

There are work-around methods as pointed out. However can also possibly lead to a major screw up especially if one is dealing with hundreds of clips per day.
Changing the names of files right out of the cameras is fraught with risk and sooner or later will end in a crisis and an overwriting error could be a disaster of major proportions.
Sony Canada have still not even responded to my email to support on the issue. Is it normal for Sony Support to avoid this type of email?
Old November 14th, 2014, 08:38 AM   #9
Trustee

Well I am five eps into a major doco series that has over 3000 hours of archive footage and hundred and sixty hours of XDCam disc interview footage shot over a seven year period where every disc starts with C0001.MXF to whatever number clips there are on the disc and I can assure you that with good housekeeping you can be pretty safe and okay with batch renaming. An XL spreadsheet for each disc contains all the original file names / numbers and all the batch file renames so always possible to tie them together. Not lost or overwritten a clip in seven years on this job... so far... touch wood!

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2014, 06:31 PM   #10
Major Player

You are no doubt correctly handling those files and I'll just have to stop being lax with directory structure.
Another thing I don't understand is whether you guys down under have to flip all your footage 180 to view it in the northern hemisphere? lolol
Old November 15th, 2014, 12:05 AM   #11
Trustee

My hat is off to you for having a good system and having the discipline to make it bulletproof.
However, I am spoiled by the AVCHD naming that includes the date as well as a unique number.
For me it's a great starting point because it's automatic, and it's not necessary to do anything further unless I want to.
I don't know why it would be any more difficult for Sony to provide that for XAVC than it is for AVCHD.
Hopefully they will get around to it eventually.
Old December 15th, 2014, 04:07 AM   #12
Major Player

Well it happened I inadvertently loaded files into a folder already containing video with the same name from a different card
I use Playmemories Home as the file management/browser and to its credit automatically renamed the incoming files by adding a (1), (2) etc to the file names so no harm done except for the momentary heart attack
Old December 15th, 2014, 05:30 PM   #13
Trustee

I just ran into this issue this morning with FCP X. Loaded video off of two separate cards, and was seeing CLIP 58 as two separate files in my project and they were not showing up in the order they were shot. The newer clips were placed "back in time" just under the older clips with the same clip number, and not chronologically like the display preferences for the project media was set to. Annoying with a lot of clips.....yes.

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2014, 05:24 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Adobe Bridge will batch re-name video clips, will also replay them (XAVCs) on a suitable machine. You can include a number of fields to suite your needs.

I tried using the new Sony Catalyst, but as far as I can make out, you can only re-name one clip at a time:(

Cheers,
Rob
Old December 16th, 2014, 08:19 AM   #15
Regular Crew

For any Mac-users, the Automator.app program can make batch renaming of any files quite easy.
Mike Buckhout is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds