DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-4k-ultra-hd-handhelds/)
-   -   X70 FW Update (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-4k-ultra-hd-handhelds/525766-x70-fw-update.html)

Tim Akin November 16th, 2014 05:31 PM

X70 FW Update

Just noticed there's a new firmware version 1.02 on Sony support but haven't been able to find anything out about it. Anyone know anything about what this might be?

I downloaded it and looked at the PDF file but it's just instructions on how to install the update, not what it fixes.

Tim Akin November 16th, 2014 05:44 PM

Re: X70 FW Update

Found this VERSION 1.02 SOFTWARE USER UPDATE FOR THE PXW-X70 RELEASED - Tech Talk

Doesn't say much except it fixes the L&R channel swap and improves some other functions.

Wonder what "other functions" is.

Darren Levine November 17th, 2014 08:16 AM

would be funny/demented if the update included grayed out 4k modes

sorry ;)

Ron Evans November 17th, 2014 08:19 AM

Interesting as when the PXW-Z100 and FDR-AX1 came out they had the L/R audio channels reversed too !!! Some common firmware ?

Ron Evans

Paul Anderegg November 17th, 2014 09:28 PM

Don't forget to save your camera profile settings to an SD card before doing the f/w update, because it will "blank" the camera to factory.

Paul

Tim Akin November 18th, 2014 06:02 AM

Good info Paul, I'm still trying to figure out what else the update does before loading it.

Christopher Young November 22nd, 2014 07:36 AM

it applies to cameras with v1.01 or earlier. The release states:

"VERSION 1.02 SOFTWARE USER UPDATE FOR THE PXW-X70 RELEASED

Sony has recently become aware that when recording in XAVC mode on the PXW-X70, the Left and Right audio channels are recorded swapped around.

Sony is offering a system software user update (Ver. 1.02) for this camcorder which corrects this phenomenon and improves other functions."

I've done the update and it does in fact correct the swapped audio track issue but as far as the 'other functions' comment well I have observed no changes in any other areas of the camera's functioning. Who knows I guess!

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

Ron Evans November 22nd, 2014 07:48 AM

Chris the FDR-AX1 updated that fixed the left and right audio channel issue also changed the HDMI output to HDMI 2.0 to allow 50/60P output to TV's with HDMI 2.0 rather than just Sony 4K TV's. They may not say they have done this since the X70 does not yet have 4K !!!

Ron Evans

Christopher Young November 23rd, 2014 05:25 AM

I read somewhere during my research and made a mental note of the fact that the X70 was already 3G SDI and HDM I v2.0 compliant but I'm blowed if I can recall where I read that. No doubt we will find out in the fullness of time.

The UHD 4k upgrade only played a small part in my decision to get one and that was from a personal curiosity point of view. No client of mine has ever hinted at 4K and I won't be offering UHD / 4k unless I see myself losing business because I'm not offering it.

I can see some good uses in house for 4k like re-framing etc but for me UHD doesn't fit any business plan for the next year or so at least. What appealed to me was the fact that here was a little unobtrusive camera that produced pretty decent HD footage and above all was very easy to work with in tricky locations. In general I can get certain shots with it that are all but impossible with the full size XDCam kit.

I am curious about the noise issues some posters have mentioned though. As yet I haven't come across any of the issues mentioned but then again I haven't been looking for them. The conference I shot last week was recorded with a line level feed into Ch #2 with Ch #1 to top mic and it's as sweet as could be, beautifully clean. Will have to investigate further though to see if there are any gremlins in the system.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

Ron Evans November 23rd, 2014 07:43 AM

I can induce noise on my NX5U, NX30U or FDR-AX1 by having a mic with 48volt on channel 1 and nothing on channel 2 but with this set to mic 48v and auto gain . With channel 2 set to line there is no noise especially if there is a line level input with manual gain as most of the time that is how they are set up. All the manuals say that if there is no mic inputs to set inputs to line level.

Ron Evans

Paul Anderegg November 23rd, 2014 01:55 PM

At least 4K XAVC S will ingest into FCP X. :-)

Paul

Ron Evans November 23rd, 2014 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Anderegg (Post 1868664)
At least 4K XAVC S will ingest into FCP X. :-)

Paul

That is true but for the X70 they may make the file format XAVC-L for 4K, 420 8 bit MXF just like the PXW-Z100 latest firmware release V3.0 just to make a difference to the AX100.

Ron Evans

Mike Griffiths November 24th, 2014 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Akin (Post 1867938)
Found this VERSION 1.02 SOFTWARE USER UPDATE FOR THE PXW-X70 RELEASED - Tech Talk

Doesn't say much except it fixes the L&R channel swap and improves some other functions.

Wonder what "other functions" is.

Tried to upgrade many times ( I'm in version 1.0) and I keep getting 'failed because of error in the process'
Tried all combinations, cards in, cards out, you name it. I've come from Panasonic where firmware upgrades work seamlessly. I've not been impressed so far with Sony's approach to software (the x70 is great!)

Does anyone have an idea what I should do now?

Paul Anderegg November 24th, 2014 08:57 PM

First make sure your f/w file is proper for the region your specific model is designed for. Next, save your current camera profile to an SD card. Then reset the camera back to factory stock, and attempt the f/w upgrade again. Perhaps a current setting is interfering with the process, but just to be safe, you will have all your settings backed up to SD card if the reset/update fails again.

Good luck!

Paul

Mike Griffiths November 24th, 2014 09:13 PM

Thanks Paul, but still no luck, I'll just have to live with it until another (? better?) firmware update arrives