Sony PXW-X70 Pro's and Con's Review - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old March 2nd, 2015, 01:25 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Sony PXW-X70 Pro's and Con's Review

Thanks so much for the comprehensive review, Rob.
Can you please tell me what the "bits" you need are to connect the camera to a pan-bar controller? Are those LANC controllers you're using?

Thanks

Mark
Old March 2nd, 2015, 03:53 PM   #17
Slash Rules!

There doesn't seem to be anything close to this price range with same feature set and especially possibility for 4K (I know people are whining about 8 bit 4:2:0 etc. but unless that looks really terrible--and I'm betting it doesn't---many of us would probably be fine with that). Next price point up with comparable features seems to be about $3500.

That said, I did get to play with this cam and record some footage. Seems generally nice, two things I didn't like were the amount of time it takes to go from one end of focus to the other in manual (very long), and I would swear the image is a little soft compared to an EX1 or similar cam. Maybe I set something wrong, but it just seems a little less crisp. The lens, maybe?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2015, 07:52 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Closest competitor would be JVC HM200
JVC Pro Specifications

I suspect 4K is 4:2:0 but it's at 150mbps.
HD is 4:2:2 50mbps
Lens apature range is F1.2 to F3.5 (curious how it performs in low light compared to X70)
I'd bet the recording work straight in FCPX and Vegas.
Price is $2695 feature complete at B&H (preorder).
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2015, 11:38 PM   #19
Slash Rules!

My mistake, didn't think of JVC. Can I bring up the elephant in the room and say that JVC generally seems unpopular as a professional brand? Maybe it's a Houston thing but I've only ever known of one guy that even used one. Everyone else is Canon, Sony, Panasonic products (and usually the Canons are only of the large sensor variety, with a few exceptions I've run into over the years).
Old March 3rd, 2015, 12:49 AM   #20
Trustee

IMHO......

JVC is all about the "connectivity" and features, such as being able to make a 1/3" CCD camera become a triax studio camera, at the expense of quality, pretty much the WORST picture quality available on most of their ProHD gear.

Sony is exactly the opposite, the are all about the quality, and charge you up for little mods and hardware, such as buying a 50pin output for our PMW320 if you want a 2x digital extender, 24p paid options etc, but quality and chip size is better across their range.

Panasonic is right in the middle, making mid range products that can be used effectively for more than they were intended, like HPX370's shooting for ABC 20/20. Their top end products are just that, top tier, but most of the time a bit less than Sony with more "included" useful options.

The HM200 looks nice, I was considering replacing my X70 with one for the iris ring and gain/w-b machanical switches, but then I saw it is rated at f5.6! That is 3 1/2 stops SLOWER than my last 4:2:2 30p SD camera, a Panasonic SPX800 from 2005, which rang in at f13@2000. :-\

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2015, 12:52 AM   #21
Slash Rules!

Interesting.

The other cam that's caught my attention (that I all but ignored when it came out) is the Canon XF200/205. Although of course that is ONLY HD, no 4K option. And $1200 more than the Sony. But generally gets good reviews.
Old March 3rd, 2015, 01:42 AM   #22
Trustee

I looked at the XF205 as well, the reviews I read all said excessive noise even at 0db gain, and very poor in low light. I really wish they put another dial and flip switches on the X70, those are the main reasons I want to ditch mine.

Paul
Old March 3rd, 2015, 01:44 AM   #23
Slash Rules!

ah, too bad about the canon. what do you mean about the x70 switches etc.?
Old March 3rd, 2015, 02:19 AM   #24
Trustee

I now feel I REQUIRE quicker ways to select gain and iris, than toggling buttons that all control the same dial. The gain is the worst, as if I need to go from 0db to 33db, say from a nigh SOT to a zoom in across the street, I need to press so many buttons it's ridiculous. To set to 1/30th, then open the iris if not already wide pen, then scroll 3db per step all the way to max. I LOVE the JVC and Canon controls and the basic size of the rigs, but great control of crap is still just crap. You can't put 20's on a Pinto, but it's still junk.

Paul
Old March 3rd, 2015, 02:28 AM   #25
Slash Rules!

sigh. just no winning at these lower price points is there?
Old March 3rd, 2015, 09:51 AM   #26
New Boot

Hi Rob, nice summary of the pro's and con's. Two things, that bug me big time:
A) As soon I monitor through the smartphone, I loose pretty much all of the controls on the camera. So, it's either way control with a smartphone or get an external monitor. Just having the image on the phone's display for a 3rd person watching would be nice.
B) The eye sensor on the EVF can't be switched off. At least I haven't found a way to do it. In run and gun situations, I like to have both options, the LCD screen and the EVF, always available. But shooting from a low angle close to my body always switches off the LCD screen. Very annoying.
Otherwise, great little camera, I'd say.
Tobias Meinken is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds