Any word on XAVC-L plugin for FCP X? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old January 19th, 2015, 08:28 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Any word on XAVC-L plugin for FCP X?

Back in November/December, a Sony rep posted that they hoped to have the plugin by late December, early January. If it's out there, I can't find it, and no FCP X update for it yet either. Anyone heard anything?
Dave Findley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2015, 02:28 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Any word on XAVC-L plugin for FCP X?

Still waiting on the plug-in for Sony Vegas Pro 13. I have the FS7 and purchased it for XAVC-L use. Been using Mpeg422 and XAVC-I for slow-mo instead and it's annoying. I feel your pain. :(
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2015, 05:40 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Yep, waiting on Vegas also. Have to wonder with all these variations of Catalyst if they're even going to bother. I know there's a disconnect between Sony divisions, but it's pretty silly to have a Sony camera not work with Sony software.....if I ran the company I'd fix that quick.
Mike McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2015, 02:31 AM   #4
Trustee

Next on Sony's to-do list, the release of their new E85 fueled car in Hawaii. :-)

Hawaii E85 Gas Station Locations
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2015, 11:20 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I losing confidence in Sony personally. Since we're nearing the end of January I'm now thinking I should hold off until NAB and see other cameras coming to market.

I just don't feel confidence in Sonly keeping NLE compatibility current (FCPX user). Over time there will be OS and NLE updates and given this time span between the X70 release and still no support, I can't depend on this for professional work.

I can't help but think Sony has some very serious problems with their software support. Apparently they're not even in a position to update the development timeline for NLE compatibility.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2015, 12:13 PM   #6
Major Player

Have you tried Catalyst Prepare (not the free one)? I do not have an X-70 (yet) but I imported files (XAVC-S, I think) from a Sony A7s and exported to ProRes and brought that into FCP-X.
Richard D. George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2015, 05:07 PM   #7
Major Player

The free one (Catalyst Browse) works fine and will now even do batch export to all flavors of ProRes. The only thing I've heard about it is that there is a small gamma shift to a bit flatter, less contrasty look upon conversion. I shoot pretty flat anyway so have not really even noticed it. That's easily correctable in FCPX anyway, unless your situation doesn't allow any editing in post.
David Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2015, 03:33 AM   #8
Trustee

The "gamma shift" is actually a raising of blacks from 0 up to like 10-15IRE, and the lowering of highlights from 108IRE to like 95IRE. It's just a total compression of the entire image, I don't think you can call that flat and simply stretch it back down and up and expect an optimal image?

Paul
Old January 21st, 2015, 07:06 AM   #9
Major Player

I was speaking about the paid version, not the free one. By the way, the price through B&H was $50 less than from Sony.
Richard D. George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2015, 09:37 AM   #10
Major Player

Paul, I didn't realize the issue with Catalyst Browse transcoding was to raise blacks *and* lower highlights - thought it was just a shadows issue. For what it's worth, I just looked at some of those clips I shot recently testing some flat settings, and in comparing the luma scopes in Browse (original clip) and FCPX (ProRes transcode done by Browse) I see almost no shift whatsoever. Some things are barely lower or higher, but by nothing even close to 10-12 on the scope.
David Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2015, 02:41 AM   #11
Trustee

I was guestimating based on my observations using the Sony Vegas histogram, which doesn't give IRE and is quite compressed in appearance. When comparing my individual transcode vs batch transcodes of the same clip, the highlights on the individual transcode exceeded the IRE mark, and the highlights on the batch version stopped right at 100IRE. The lows did similar, with individual blacks hitting down to 0, and batch clips well above 0. I would estimate you would have to set black level to around +5-7 to get that much black lift in camera.

Paul
Old January 22nd, 2015, 06:11 AM   #12
Tourist

Just to inform that Lightworks 12.0.3.A can read the XAVC-L 1080/60p 50Mbps natively without any transcoding. I'm a Vegas Pro 13 user and it's a bummer that this program as such a big learning curve...
Old January 30th, 2015, 02:34 PM   #13
Inner Circle

A Sony representative posted this elsewhere regards plugin support for XAVC-L for FCPX.

"I will have a concrete update on this within the next week or two once we get done with the latest AMA plugin release."
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2015, 05:45 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Rocha View Post
Just to inform that Lightworks 12.0.3.A can read the XAVC-L 1080/60p 50Mbps natively without any transcoding. I'm a Vegas Pro 13 user and it's a bummer that this program as such a big learning curve...
Edius 7.4 will read without transcoding too. Edius is my main editor and is fairly easy to learn as I am also a Vegas user . Try the demo.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2015, 01:01 PM   #15
Major Player

month after month this xavc workflow for the x70 pictures in motion makes the old tape workflow look good in comparison . I don't remember ANY workflow made so complicated and for no reason. Where do we stand right now (February the first of 2015) ? We need to spend hours to transcode xavc to xavc . And that makes no sense, none.
Anthony Lelli is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds