DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-4k-ultra-hd-handhelds/)
-   -   Streaming to the Internet with AX100 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-4k-ultra-hd-handhelds/526767-streaming-internet-ax100.html)

Bruce Dempsey February 5th, 2015 08:35 AM

Streaming to the Internet with AX100

As you know there is no HDMI or composite output while recording 4k which makes streaming from the camera difficult. However it has a nifty wi-fi function of streaming to an ipad while recording 4k but with no possible way to change anything other than stop start. Not too sure how this is accomplished as the manual states that: " The Wi-Fi function of the camcorder cannot be used connected to a public wireless LAN "
My main question here is whether any of you have successfully streamed that as described above to the internet with ustream or other service?
btw all resolutions below 4k are output thru hdmi during record and can be sent to the internet in a usual manner., so my question is specifically related to internet streaming while recording 4k.

Paul Anderegg February 6th, 2015 06:20 AM

Re: Streaming to the Internet with AX100

The HDMI doesn't work when in 4K mode? I wonder if that means my X70 SDI will not function with the camera set to 4K in the future?

Paul

Rob Hargreaves February 6th, 2015 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Anderegg (Post 1875943)
The HDMI doesn't work when in 4K mode? I wonder if that means my X70 SDI will not function with the camera set to 4K in the future?

Paul

That's a good question!
I don't think there is any info on how/what/whether the X70 will send 4K or down convert to HD via HDMI/SDI once the 4K firmware upgrade is done...

Charlie Steiner February 10th, 2015 12:40 PM

I've been using the Teradek Vidiu and it works great (with Ustream or others). my team used it in Panama a few weeks ago and it streamed continuously through 4 hour programs 4 nights in a row.

Charlie

Shaun Roemich February 10th, 2015 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Dempsey (Post 1875826)
As you know there is no HDMI or composite output while recording 4k which makes streaming from the camera difficult. However it has a nifty wi-fi function of streaming to an ipad while recording 4k but with no possible way to change anything other than stop start. Not too sure how this is accomplished as the manual states that: " The Wi-Fi function of the camcorder cannot be used connected to a public wireless LAN "

Ridiculous kludge here BUT...

Wondering if Camera to iPad to AppleTV via AirPlay and out HDMI to streaming device (like Vidiu or Livestream Broadcaster) would work?

HDCP on the AppleTV might be an issue but can someone try it and report back?

Rob Hargreaves February 10th, 2015 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie Steiner (Post 1876369)
I've been using the Teradek Vidiu and it works great (with Ustream or others). my team used it in Panama a few weeks ago and it streamed continuously through 4 hour programs 4 nights in a row.

Charlie

Are you able to stream reliably at 1080p?
No matter what location or upstream bandwidth there is (30Mb+) the 1080p stream is blocky or displays a kind of regular picture shift/blinking - I simply cannot stream at 1080p using the VidiU (on latest firmware as of this writing)...

Charlie Steiner February 10th, 2015 01:48 PM

Rob, that sounds overly-ambitious. I wouldn't even attempt to stream 1080p because at the other end there's going to be a restriction. I don't put my own finished work on Vimeo at 1080p because I can't reliably watch any 1080p on my supposedly 50mbps broadband connection. I doubt that Terakek's broadcast line of encoders can do 1080p, but let us know if you find a way.

Shaun Roemich February 10th, 2015 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie Steiner (Post 1876376)
Rob, that sounds overly-ambitious. I wouldn't even attempt to stream 1080p because at the other end there's going to be a restriction.

The way most (all?) streaming servers (and services) work is to create multiple bitrate playout streams and the player end decides which one to use, based on available downstream bandwidth, in a live streaming environment. Of course, this is when using a streaming server and/or service and NOT when doing a peer-to-peer stream like one can with the Teradek Cube.

Bruce Dempsey February 10th, 2015 05:19 PM

Shaun
The TV might not be needed however The more I think on this whole idea the less I like it. So many inter-dependant bits
but
Camera wifi to Ipad, running Broadcast me or OS Broadcaster and sending the screen out via lightning to usb adapter which is plugged into a powered usb hub then out from the hub by usb to ethernet adapter rj45 and onward to rtmp. Unfortunately the ipad cannot run on ac with this senario so stream time is limited and the whole thing seems so flaky I'd be a complete nervous wreck
I've been running payperview streams at some of my events and I think it's got a future however the stream has to be there if they pay to watch no if ands or buts