X70 "Live Shots" at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old February 20th, 2015, 07:08 PM   #1
Trustee

X70 "Live Shots"

A few of these end up online. I talk a lot about how I use my X70 for live shots with my 16x9 EXII wide converter, but figured I would show how they look when broadcast. Due to technical issues, the live transmitter is stuck on SD, ugh.

Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2015, 05:12 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: X70 "Live Shots"

Looks pretty good at night especially with multiple light sources. I know you're shown the JVC 650 producing better colour with the police lights, but for it's size, the X70 is a pretty capable camcorder!

Which 16x9 EXII do you have? Do you need a step-up ring?

Cheers
Rob
Rob Hargreaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2015, 09:58 PM   #3
Trustee

16x9 provided me with a back of unit 72mm ring, to replace the 82mm version the unit came with. This allowed me to attach it to my station HM650's direct, and they also provided a 72mm step-down ring to 62mm for the X70 as well. The EXII performs MUCH BETTER on the X70 than it does on the HM650. The lens on the 650 is larger, so you get more edge softening in it than the little X70 lens. I think Fujinon rebrands the EXII and it is advertised as the factory adaptor on the 650 and 890 pages for the 20-23x lenses.

Paul
Old February 22nd, 2015, 03:04 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Paul,
Looks good! What equipment/process do you use to get your footage live on air, with what seems to be zero delay, since you are talking on phone at same time?
Rick Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2015, 05:09 PM   #5
Major Player

nicely done, bravo. Now consider that the FS7 doesn't even go SD on SDI, and there goes the broadcast ready thing. the JVC (850 in particular) is clean(er) , no doubts, but the X70 gives everything for a fraction of the cost. The only problem is that it doesn't stay on the shoulder... I shoot sports and some broadcast when they call me and I'm super happy with the X70 because I have to pay for the equipment :)

your work is first class anyway.
Anthony Lelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2015, 07:54 PM   #6
Trustee

We use TVU backpacks, 5Mbps with around a 4 second delay setting. I have to point at what I will be talking about around 4-5 seconds in advance, it's a bit complex when you move around a scene like I do!

BTW, the Oceanside Fire live shot was PRE my newest PP color correction settings.

Paul
Old February 25th, 2015, 04:17 AM   #7
Trustee

Here are a few stories using VO from the X70, not live, but I will throw some on here from time to time just for those interested in seeing how the X70 looks as a run and gun daily front line ENG rig. Note how poorly the OSS works for me. :)

Old March 2nd, 2015, 11:44 AM   #8
Trustee

I just noticed that my stations most popular upload on their YouTube channel is a story I shot live on my little tiny baby X70. :)

Old March 28th, 2015, 06:09 PM   #9
Trustee

My new X180 arrived, so no more X70 live shots. :-(

I leave you with this video link, which apparently made it to the UK and beyond! Not shot on the X70, had to shoot it on my station issued JVC HM790! After seeing how bad the quality is, you can understand why I used the X70 so extensively for the task!

Police officers smash car window to wake driver on I-805 because she passed out DRUNK* | Daily Mail Online
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds