Anybody tried to control PXW-X70 wih smartphone? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old March 21st, 2015, 01:19 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Anybody tried to control PXW-X70 wih smartphone?

I've got the Sony CBM app running on my Galaxy S5 (android) and can monitor, zoom, record and pause. There are options for iris and focus, but i cant get those to work for some reason.
This might be a handy app for when I'm shooting a wedding reception and the toasts start before i can get to the camera.
Anybody else tried it?
Andy

Last edited by Andy Wason; March 21st, 2015 at 03:40 PM.
Andy Wason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2015, 03:40 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Anybody tried to control PXW-X70 wih smartphone?

Ok got it now. The iris and focus have to be in manual mode. I didn't realize the buttons on the side switch between auto and manual as well as select the front thumbwheel for adjustment. There's no slider for focus, just tap on your smartphone where you want to be in focus and it goes there. Sweet!
I don't think I can replay previously taken clips though,as I can't get the browser function to work.
Old March 22nd, 2015, 09:34 PM   #3
Major Player

Hey, hoe did you do this, I have a iPhone, and the Mobile app, but just get Device not found, Check "conect" settings and try again ???

HD101/G5 Mac/4gig Ram/1TB HDD/30" Cinema Display/FCP.
Robert Bale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2015, 10:08 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bale View Post
Hey, hoe did you do this, I have a iPhone, and the Mobile app, but just get Device not found, Check "conect" settings and try again ???
Hi Robert, I just had to fiddle around with it. I know some of the options aren't very intuitive
In x70 menu, select the wifi icon then "ctrl w/smartphone" (I originally thought this meant hold the ctrl key and 'w' but I guess it means 'control with smartphone'

Go to 'wifi' on your phone I'm using android, yours may differ. Select the wifi device that corresponds to the SSID DIRECT xxxxxxxx shown on the x70
type in the obscure password shown on the x70 (Bit of a pain on a phone, upper and lower case required. It'll help if you turn on 'show password' on the phone or I bet you'll mistype it!)
hit 'connect' on your phone.

The x70 should go into standby mode
run the cbm app.
Hit 'connect' in the app. (I think i had to open the menu in upper LHS first
Select the sony device when it comes up on your phone
Go to monitoring and hit the 'show disp' icon in the upper RHS. you should be seeing thru the camera lens on your phone...take the lens cap off!
You need to have iris and focus set to manual before you start, or you wont be able to control them remotely.
hit 'record' on the phone and away you go!

I don't think it supports the 'browse' feature of the app, so you cant see your files or play them back.
Old April 5th, 2015, 05:29 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wason View Post
Hi Robert, I just had to fiddle around with it. I know some of the options aren't very intuitive
In x70 menu, select the wifi icon then "ctrl w/smartphone" (I originally thought this meant hold the ctrl key and 'w' but I guess it means 'control with smartphone'

Go to 'wifi' on your phone I'm using android, yours may differ. Select the wifi device that corresponds to the SSID DIRECT xxxxxxxx shown on the x70
type in the obscure password shown on the x70 (Bit of a pain on a phone, upper and lower case required. It'll help if you turn on 'show password' on the phone or I bet you'll mistype it!)
hit 'connect' on your phone.

The x70 should go into standby mode
run the cbm app.
Hit 'connect' in the app. (I think i had to open the menu in upper LHS first
Select the sony device when it comes up on your phone
Go to monitoring and hit the 'show disp' icon in the upper RHS. you should be seeing thru the camera lens on your phone...take the lens cap off!
You need to have iris and focus set to manual before you start, or you wont be able to control them remotely.
hit 'record' on the phone and away you go!

I don't think it supports the 'browse' feature of the app, so you cant see your files or play them back.
Hi Andy, I get a error after i click monitoring , iPhone says Device not found Check connect settings and try again. I don't have a android phone to try it on.

HD101/G5 Mac/4gig Ram/1TB HDD/30" Cinema Display/FCP.
Robert Bale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2015, 12:20 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bale View Post
Hi Andy, I get a error after i click monitoring , iPhone says Device not found Check connect settings and try again. I don't have a android phone to try it on.
Hi Robert,
Same issue here.
iPhone 6, iOS 8.4
Sony PXW-x70 is on Firmware 2.0

In iOS Settings I have no problem seeing the PXW-x70 SSID and have no problem entering the password as seen on the camera. The iPhone appears to connect.

I open CBM on the screen that says Connect on the top.
I select Search and it says Device Not Found.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2015, 05:40 PM   #7
Regular Crew

First setup the camera's menu to Control w/smartphone---it will display the network ID and password.
On your iPhone, go to Wi-Fi settings and make sure that you "see" the camera, and select/connect to it.
You should now have your WIFI settings indicating that you are a "direct connect" to the camera. You will no longer be on your regular LAN.
Now go to the CBM app --select "connect" ---you should have an orange banner on your iPhone indicating positive connectivity to the camera. Likewise, the camera display should indicate "Controlling with Smartphone."
Press the menu box in the upper left of the CBM app. When the new page appears select "Monitoring." You should see the lens capture on the upper half of your iPhone (and no "picture" on your camera display.)
Use the menu icons on the app to additionally select how and what you want to Control on your camera.

When complete push/select the "joystick" button on the camera to disconnect. The connection should drop and your iPhone will reconnect automatically to your regular WiFi if that is how you have it set up.
Bob Searl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2015, 07:17 AM   #8
Inner Circle

"Now go to the CBM app --select "connect" ---you should have an orange banner on your iPhone indicating positive connectivity to the camera"

Much as other users describe, this was failing consistently. Moving the iPhone around the camera it eventually connected. Maybe coincidental but given the very few reviews I've seen in the App Store, it seems to be a common problem.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2015, 11:32 AM   #9
Major Player

That's where I was going wrong. Go to android setting WiFi there you enter the password. Not having an Apple I assume that it will be similar.
Donald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2015, 09:38 AM   #10
Major Player

Is it possible to control all of these functions over Wi-Fi when camera is already recording? From what distance it can be controlled? Thanks.
Marius Boruch is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds