DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-4k-ultra-hd-handhelds/)
-   -   Kingston Ultimate SDXC UHS-1 Class 10: OK for 100 Mbps? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-4k-ultra-hd-handhelds/527413-kingston-ultimate-sdxc-uhs-1-class-10-ok-100-mbps.html)

Piotr Wozniacki March 24th, 2015 12:04 PM

Kingston Ultimate SDXC UHS-1 Class 10: OK for 100 Mbps?

Sorry - I'm aware there's been a lot of questions like this, ut with so many counterfeit media card products in various markets, I'd rather know from somebody who's tried himself and found no problems with the new AX100 firmware, 100 Mbps bitrate and the Kingston Ultimate SDXC 128GB (SDXC) | 128GB | UHS-I | class 10 cad (manufacturer's code: [SDA10/128GB]).

TIA

Piotr

Jack Zhang March 24th, 2015 12:45 PM

Re: Kingston Ultimate SDXC UHS-1 Class 10: OK for 100 Mbps?

The AX100 will plain refuse to work at 100mbps unless the card is rated for "U3" speed.

The golden Kingston card indicates a "U1" speed. It will not work with the AX100 at 100mbps. You must get a U3 card.

There are only two cards that meets that standard: The ADATA 128GB U3 card and the Transcend Ultimate 128GB U3 card. However, neither are guaranteed for longevity.

Piotr Wozniacki March 24th, 2015 01:53 PM

Thanks Jack - the infor about U3 class being required is crucial. However, looking around in the local (Polish) on-line shops I can find plenty of U3 SDXC cards - like e.g. Sandisk products - so why are you pointing at ADATA specifically?

Ricky Sharp March 24th, 2015 02:19 PM

If I search B&H Photo for 128 GB SDXC, I see many brands offer UHS Speed Class 3:

SanDisk (their Extreme Pro line)
Sony
Lexar
Transcend
Delkin Devices

I have only used a SanDisk with this high speed, though in my still-camera (EOS 6D). Have used the same 64 GB card for over a year without any issues.

Jack Zhang March 24th, 2015 06:31 PM

Yeah, I was using Newegg here in North America. It only offered 2 choices at the size you were looking for.

Derrick Mau March 24th, 2015 09:18 PM

Jack, my UH-1 chip worked at 100Mbps.

See the thread: Sony FDR- AX100 Firmware 3.0 - post #64 and 65 where I have a link to the exact chip I bought on Amazon and video I shot for comparison in 60 and 100 bit.

Piotr Wozniacki April 2nd, 2015 08:00 AM

Yeah - perhaps the Class 10 (600x) speed (R: 90, W: 45 Mbps) is just enough, in spite of the U1 (rather than U3) rating?

Your golden Lexar has identical parameters stamped on it as my OP's candidate - also golden Kingston card. Anyway, I'm gonna try it (this is of course IF I bite a bullet, and order the AX100, after all - which is only gonna happen if / when I finally find a buyer for all my current HD rig, thankfully it looks like I'm close to getting it happen). The more so that in one of the Polish on-line shop, the AX100 comes bundled with this specific card, at a very attractive total price.

Piotr

PS. As you may know from my other posts, due to my illness and resulting partial disability I'm forced to get rid of a very attractive set of 2 cameras with lots of carefully and uncompromisingly chosen add-ons as I just can't handle them for any prolonged time. Since this means switching back from being a professional shooter to a "serious hobbyist" (well - at least as far as shooting itself is concerned; editing my classical music videos I'm not going to give up :) Also, I have been planning to replace that professional equipment - rather heavy and requiring physical fitness which I lost - with something lightweight and compact while providing future proofness (4k), in one word: the consumer(ish) AX100. But the longer I'm waiting for this to happen, the more doubts I have whether I'd be better off buying its pro version - the X-70: mainly for the audio section, but also for more serious Picture Profiles... Yeah - I'm aware that unlike the AX100, I'll have to pay extra for 4k implementation (which may turn out to be just 60 Mbps vs. 100 Mbps of the (free) 4k feature of out-of-the-box AX100 - but somehow I've a gut feeling it will also be 100 Mbps, after all). What do you guys think - is it worth the extra buck for somebody as addicted to technical capabilities as myself?