AX100 vs. AX33 PQ-wise at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old March 29th, 2015, 07:28 AM   #1
Inner Circle

AX100 vs. AX33 PQ-wise

Just a quick questions for those who did some A/B PQ comparisons (or just have seen enough of both footage on a big 4k screen) between the AX100 and AX33 cams. Is the picture quality from the AX33 clearly worse than that from the AX100, particularly in low light?

I'm asking because while obviously tempted by the 1" chip in the AX100 (and its potentially higher sensitivity), I also cannot stop thinking on how important the BOSS stabilization only found on the AX33 can be for longer focal distance shoots.

What is the opinion out there?
Old March 29th, 2015, 10:20 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: AX100 vs. AX33 PQ-wise

Seems to my eye that the AX100 is up a level on the AX33, just look at all the samples posted on the net. The main feature of the AX33 is BOSS. At the end of the day what is the most important thing long after the technical specs have been discussed to death - it is picture quality- the final result. The picture in the AX33 just does not have the sharpness or contrast of the AX100. Most hand held produces lower quality results than from a tripod or even a monpod.
Andy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2015, 10:41 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
I'm asking because while obviously tempted by the 1" chip in the AX100 (and its potentially higher sensitivity)
Sensor size alone doesn't say much about the sensitivity in low light, I have shot a ceremony with the ax100 and two cx730's and even though the ax100 is much more detailed especially at very high iso's it's image needed to be treated with neatvideo because the noise was very visible, it was that bad, something I never have to do with my cx730's, the sensitivity on both camera's is also the same but the cx730 is much cleaner. Don't know how the ax33 performs but from what I have seen so far you shouldn't have any issue mixing it with the ax100, unless it even produces more noise then the ax100.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2015, 10:49 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I'd be curious to know this as well, ideally from someone that has owned and used both and compared the content first hand on their tv or monitor. So far we just have youtube videos and guesses based on specs :(
Peter Siamidis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2015, 01:22 AM   #5
Inner Circle

From what I've seen on YT, the AX33 is not quite as sharp or detailed as the AX100, it's subtle, but there.

I've got an x1000 action cam (same sensor as the AX33) coming in to test (once I find U3 micro SDXC and pick up U3 for the AX100 too!?). Curious to see how close or far apart the two are...

I'm sure they will both be "4K", but I don't expect a smaller cam to match the AX100 - I've noticed that the little RX100M3 tries very hard to keep up with the RX10, but isn't quite as good... of course a smaller camera comes in handy sometimes!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2015, 08:06 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Just a quick questions for those who did some A/B PQ comparisons (or just have seen enough of both footage on a big 4k screen) between the AX100 and AX33 cams. Is the picture quality from the AX33 clearly worse than that from the AX100, particularly in low light?
What is the opinion out there?
Hi Piotr:
I have the AX-33 and the X1000V action cam in 4K, previously always a Canon guy, but since they have taken a sleeping pill to pass the 4K revolution I switch to Sony offering a high array of choices.
I do not have a 4K monitor or TV yet ( they are coming down in price) but I was able to admire the clips that I shot with my AX-33 and a loaner AX-100 on a 65 inch Sony 4K TV on display at BestBuy with their permission feeding directly from both cameras thru HDMI, and to tell you the truth I could not appreciate or see any significant PQ difference between the two.

I did also a trial with the 4K clips in FCPX using the native, non optimized clips and render them into a 1080p timeline and yes the sharpness and PQ is considerable better than straight 1080p filming. I think the 1 inch sensor is definitely an atvantage and you see much of the difference if any in the compression scheme that YouTube uses that affects the final outcome of what you see of course the larger sensor has better definition to deal with theYouTube compression which is what we mostly see with samples. If I would not have waited for the Canon to release something in 4K I would have bought the AX-100 a year ago but I am very happy with the AX-33 particularly because of the inclusion of manual control, very compact and BOSS stabilizer system I think it is superb and fits my hand held type of shooting.

Thanks,
Luis

Last edited by Luis A. Diaz; March 30th, 2015 at 08:10 PM. Reason: spelling
Luis A. Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2015, 02:08 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
Sensor size alone doesn't say much about the sensitivity in low light, I have shot a ceremony with the ax100 and two cx730's and even though the ax100 is much more detailed especially at very high iso's it's image needed to be treated with neatvideo because the noise was very visible, it was that bad, something I never have to do with my cx730's, the sensitivity on both camera's is also the same but the cx730 is much cleaner. Don't know how the ax33 performs but from what I have seen so far you shouldn't have any issue mixing it with the ax100, unless it even produces more noise then the ax100.
Noah

Do you recall what your gain was when needing to use neat video with the AX100 footage, I haven't got or used Neat Video test, is it an essential part of your work flow.
Phil Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2015, 03:01 AM   #8
Inner Circle

I don't recall exactly what my gain settings where but it was a dark venue and I know I had to gain up pretty high, even with the lens wide open. It was the first time I noticed the bad noise from my ax100 while I had used it on several other ceremonies in church before without a issue but those had better light. The noise especially appeared on the dark blue vest from the groom, the dancing noise was so visible it was distracting. My cx730's didn't have this noise issue and they should have had the same gain applied.
Normally I never have to use neatvideo but for that one ceremony I had to.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2015, 05:08 AM   #9
Inner Circle

I have just compared the AX33 & AX100 image quality side by side & the AX100 is clearly better. It's more detailed with better dynamic range & better in low light & overall just more realistic. The AX33 is OK but even though the AX100 is 75% more expensive I think it's worth paying the extra. The BOSS on the AX33 is better than the OSS on the AX100 but otherwise there is nothing else that is better. The size is a little smaller (not so long) but the weight is actually very similar. The smaller size is actually a con in my eyes as it's more fiddly to use. The L-R rocket zoom is very irritating compared to the Fore-Aft rocker on the AX100. It's almost impossible to use manual controls in any meaningful way as you you many button presses to delve down into menus.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds